Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
PsychoVIII
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Zomborz
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Engineer Unlocking

Postby PsychoVIII » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Engineers suck to unlock. I'm sure we can all agree on that. From scrounging Meta Alloys in Maia to Soontill Relics, its a tedious chore to get those juicy upgrade salesmen to bat an eye at you.

Currently, I only have 3. (Felicity, Tod McQuinn, and Elvira) I only have to do some mining for the 4th but that still leaves 16 more, so I'm looking for tips, tricks, or exploits that make the process faster.

For mining, what constitutes mining one material? Just lasering the rocks? Or does it have to be refined to count as a mined ore?

And for the others, how would you reccomend I approach trying to gain an invite? In what order should I unlock them? Post replies in such a way that other noobs can learn from them too, more efficient to have as much info in one place as possible.

Saberius
Admin
Admin
CMDR: SABERIUS
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Engineer Unlocking

Postby Saberius » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:27 pm

Here was a PDF I had uploaded to the Facebook files area a while ago.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElitePv ... 714157132/

I've uploaded to IMGUR for you non-FB types...
https://imgur.com/a/81C2l

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Or you can look at it as an incentive to try new or different things.

I'm sure they only count mining after the refining.
This is also where they are considered to be 1 unit worth, what comes out of the rock are just considered chunks and you need several to make one unit worth, depending on ratio.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:39 pm

PsychoVIII wrote: or exploits that make the process faster.

Such is life in this day and age......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:17 am

It has to be refined into one unit to count. When I did my mining to unlock the engineer, I filled the hold with limpets, so much so that I did not really have room for cargo. for over half of the requirement I kept ejecting what I had mined and then once I had enough room in the ship I started to keep it. This way you can stay in the asteroid field from beginning to end and get all the requirement done in 2 to 3 hours. To meet the requirement you only have to mine and refine, you do not have to sell it.

The only other thing that saves time that springs to mind is the Palin/Qwent grind. The requirement to meet Palin, is that you go out at least 5000ly from your starting position. You can only learn about Palin from Marco Qwent, and you can only gain invitation to him if you are allied with the Sirius Corporation. This is not dead easy to get as the only stations they seem to control that you have access too are a lot of ls from the sun, and the only missions they seem to give you are to other stations that are a lot of ls from their sun, normally only one mission at at time I was finding. So I did my 5000ly thing first, pinging all the systems I visited there and back, then used that exploration data to become allied with Sirius in one go.

WiGgLr
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: WiGgLr

Postby WiGgLr » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:42 am

this guide helped me when I got stuck
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... alkthrough

Return to “General Discussion”