Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Voice attack+HCS

Postby TorTorden » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Not a tv, can't afford that big a tv, (prices skyrocket after you hit 65") so it's a 1080p projector so 90" screen in this crowd is considered very small.
160" is where it's at apparently, well I don't have the house for that, not going to get one either.
You can actually get something like the benq dlp projector and cheap screen for less around $700-$800, size then becomes a question of how big your wall is.
I have it setup so a screen comes down in front of my tv.

I can also say I don't use it for elite, I could. But I got myself a rift last year, total game changer.
Even with all the drawbacks this entails, and the maddening chasing after performance improvements.

VR is the only way to play for me, and even after a year and over 1000 hours in elite with vr I still get the occasional "WooAaoh" feeling.
I do everything I do in elite in vr.
Trading, combat etc.
Long srv excursions, 400km+.
Even took the asp to colonia.

You can even use the rift to get a virtual cinema for watching movies etc. But due to resolution limit on the headsets it can seem somewhere below 720p or so.
But in a hardware generation or two when resolutions are up, I can completely see vr sets doing for movie and tv viewing what headphones has done for music.
And if I was younger and less established with my own setup I would definitely consider watching a movie or two in it compared to a much smaller monitor.
Heck I watched a lot of movies on 17" pc screen back in the day...

Anyhoo.
I digress, you mentioned something about voiceattack?

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:29 am

TorTorden wrote:Nothing sad about interstellar.

Best sci-fi to come out of Hollywood in 40 years.

That scene through the wormhole.

That's why I own subwoofers.
Indeed so!
Martian is a great movie as well.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

d4eaming
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: d4eaming

Postby d4eaming » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:49 pm

TorTorden wrote:Not a tv

Anyhoo.

Ah, gotcha! My ex had a projector that we used for movies, but we just used the wall (old Victorian style house in the middle of England, loads of wall space) so it was a bit washed out, which I assume would be better with an actual screen instead. Unfortunately, something in it warped and split the color spectrum so there was a ghostly reddish/purple image slightly offset from the true image. This was back in early/mid 2000s and at the time not something we could afford to fix.

My tv is at the foot of my bed so I am very close to it, makes game vistas absolutely fabulous.

But, we finally got our announcement this morning that we are FINALLY going fucking full time, and in three weeks, after they dragged ass over the issue since around March. Initially we were supposed to go full time in June but they kept making excuses, and we lost workers who had joined us specifically for this.

Full time means more computer goodies, however. Including a VR headset. And a new GPU. I just built this machine early this year and tossed a Radeon RX 560 4g RAM in it. I'll upgrade at least to 8g, if not going up to a better model altogether. And more/faster RAM for the mobo.

Endless possibilities :roll: :roll: :roll:

BUT ANYWAY.

I got my Voice Pack up and running and I quite like him. He doesn't babble, just very quick yes/no most of the time, simple responses. I might add Brent Spiner (Data) for his galactopedia stuff. It's also possible to have multiple VPs and have them do "roles" to emulate a ship crew. IE, put Phoenix (my current) for, I dunno, system related stuff, get another one for weapon related, a third for engine related and so on. The flavor of a custom voice pack is very nice.

It's funny that when I first looked into this I thought "I wish I could just disable SOME ship computer stuff and leave others" because, for example, Ship Computer and Phoenix will both tell me the landing gear has been retracted and talk over each other. I reduced the volume of Ship Computer to about 40% to make it less distracting.

Naturally, like a putz, I saw after the fact that you could, indeed, disable specific Ship Computer voice stuff. That + for the drop down menu is easy to miss. :| So that'll be fun to mess with this weekend!

Orochimaru wrote:

Indeed so!

I need to see The Martian. In fact, I need quite a few good space movies. I saw Apollo 13 in theaters when it came out, oh, 22 years ago. Jesus, I feel old. I have Gravity and it is okay, but just okay. Or maybe I need to watch it again to appreciate it more.

And now I am babbling so off I'm gonna go!

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:59 am

d4eaming wrote:
TorTorden wrote:Not a tv

Anyhoo.

Ah, gotcha! My ex had a projector that we used for movies, but we just used the wall (old Victorian style house in the middle of England, loads of wall space) so it was a bit washed out, which I assume would be better with an actual screen instead. Unfortunately, something in it warped and split the color spectrum so there was a ghostly reddish/purple image slightly offset from the true image. This was back in early/mid 2000s and at the time not something we could afford to fix.

My tv is at the foot of my bed so I am very close to it, makes game vistas absolutely fabulous.

But, we finally got our announcement this morning that we are FINALLY going fucking full time, and in three weeks, after they dragged ass over the issue since around March. Initially we were supposed to go full time in June but they kept making excuses, and we lost workers who had joined us specifically for this.

Full time means more computer goodies, however. Including a VR headset. And a new GPU. I just built this machine early this year and tossed a Radeon RX 560 4g RAM in it. I'll upgrade at least to 8g, if not going up to a better model altogether. And more/faster RAM for the mobo.

Endless possibilities :roll: :roll: :roll:

BUT ANYWAY.

I got my Voice Pack up and running and I quite like him. He doesn't babble, just very quick yes/no most of the time, simple responses. I might add Brent Spiner (Data) for his galactopedia stuff. It's also possible to have multiple VPs and have them do "roles" to emulate a ship crew. IE, put Phoenix (my current) for, I dunno, system related stuff, get another one for weapon related, a third for engine related and so on. The flavor of a custom voice pack is very nice.

It's funny that when I first looked into this I thought "I wish I could just disable SOME ship computer stuff and leave others" because, for example, Ship Computer and Phoenix will both tell me the landing gear has been retracted and talk over each other. I reduced the volume of Ship Computer to about 40% to make it less distracting.

Naturally, like a putz, I saw after the fact that you could, indeed, disable specific Ship Computer voice stuff. That + for the drop down menu is easy to miss. :| So that'll be fun to mess with this weekend!

Orochimaru wrote:

Indeed so!

I need to see The Martian. In fact, I need quite a few good space movies. I saw Apollo 13 in theaters when it came out, oh, 22 years ago. Jesus, I feel old. I have Gravity and it is okay, but just okay. Or maybe I need to watch it again to appreciate it more.

And now I am babbling so off I'm gonna go!
I like Gravity not much for the sci-fi part, but for the strong woman role played by Sandra Bullock. Reminds of Ripley in Alien.

Also she flies a Soyuz and that is freaking cool!

//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Wulfy
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Wulf Sternhammer

Postby Wulfy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:58 am

One thing you could do is set up one of the voicepacks for say general flying, then the other one for when youre in combat, or say on a planet.

TBH I have only just got back into ED after an absence where I now find that Frontier have added a lot more ambient voice chat to the game than they had before - like entering a space station now has "comms chatter" and it tells you vocally the docking bay. So I havent yet reset up my VA and am not really missing the responses to my actions yet.
IGN: WULF STERNHAMMER

d4eaming
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: d4eaming

Postby d4eaming » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:39 pm

Wulfy wrote:One thing you could do is set up one of the voicepacks for say general flying, then the other one for when youre in combat, or say on a planet.

TBH I have only just got back into ED after an absence where I now find that Frontier have added a lot more ambient voice chat to the game than they had before - like entering a space station now has "comms chatter" and it tells you vocally the docking bay. So I havent yet reset up my VA and am not really missing the responses to my actions yet.

I've been thinking about how to do this. The free pack Anubis doesn't have nearly as much as the HCS stuff does because he's voiced for free by a youtuber fan of ED. But I've been considering different ways of integrating Anubis, I could even appropriate HCS commands and use his voice files, or use a specific invocation, something as simple as saying his name. I've also thought that I could use Anubis for more lowkey stuff. It's probably simplest in the long run to assign him to something like ship system things like docking requests, map related things.

There's so many possibilities, and I don't know what I don't know, so I don't even know what possibilities there are! I'll keep browsing online for ideas, too.

I kinda like ObsidianAnt as well, HCS just calls that pack Obsidian. I like Phoenix's slightly metallic twang over natural human voices for this kind of thing. On the other hand, I could just pretend that Obsidian IS a crewmate and Phoenix is the ship computer.

I'll be over here, by myself, role playing, alone. :P

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:17 pm

I never really liked Interstellar. Watched it fully once and then bits and pieces the second time. The Martian was alright. And I will shoot my tv if they show Gravity one more time (Sandra Bullock has been banned from my movie watch list.)
I bought VA after trying it out for 3 days. I don't play ED without it. But I don't use any of the Voice packs. Setup all my commands myself. Might try one (someday.)
Also looking to get the Rift. But then I plan to change out my motherboard/CPU, memory and GPU 1st. Have had my current setup for the past 7yrs now (except had to change my GPU when my 580GTX burned out.) I use a 21" for my gaming and my TV is only a 43".

Have fun, fly safe. o7

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:11 am

Well if you are looking to upgrade system.
Intel is about to launch the 8th generation as early as the 5th of october, next month.
Finally changing the 4 core paradigm to 6 cores on the i5 and i7, the i3 also gets a boost to 4 actual cores, but dropping hyperthreading.
Might be a slight price hike from the current 7th generation, but not too much due to pressure from Ryzen and in case of the i7 8700k it is a 50% more CPU to contend with in multithreaded tasks, and we are finally seeing most games ED included becoming less and less single thread focused.

I'm sure NDA's will lapse around the start of october so I expect some interesting reading coming. might be costly too.

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-8 ... pecs-leak/

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:11 am

Well. I probably won't be getting a new setup until the end of the year (at earliest,) so I'd probably have to get the new I7 to replace my current one. Was thinking of the i9. But I think that's too expensive and too much of an overkill.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

Return to “General Discussion”