Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
d4eaming
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: d4eaming
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Navigating a Planet

Postby d4eaming » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:13 pm

I have taken to finding it from orbit and just nose-diving in... then boost boost boost once I fall out of orbit. I try to follow the highlighted guide and sometimes that helps. Other times, I manage to fuck it up and take half an hour to find the target and land. I avoid planetary landings as much as possible atm.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:07 pm

David c wrote:If you have been to Dav's Hope once the next time you visit it will show up on your contacts list when you get close like any surface installation. I think the same applies to all of these special locations. However it doesn't excuse the fact that I can enter Lat & Longitude into my 6 year old car sat-nav and have the location displayed on screen so our ships should be able to perform this task from orbit .

The thing about GPS is it relies still entirely on the fact that there are 32 satellites in orbit to do the triangulatation.

I think it is fairly safe to assume most semi barren rocks out there does not have a satellite network.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

David c
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Gramps

Postby David c » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:06 am

Yes I know, but were not Earth bound in this situation were in space. We have Coordinates' and we have a ship in orbit that can act as the satellite so why not at least give us the option of selecting the location from the contacts menu. Then anyone who wants to use there skill to pilot/plot their ship just using the coordinates can do so.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby LeDoyen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:49 pm

it's hard to triangulate with only one (moving) satellite :)
That said, once the planet is scanned, we should be able to save ground landmarks, or have some kind of navigation system.

Likewise for detailed surface scans... what's detailed if it can't locate a 3km wide thargoid site that pukes signals and radiations all over space?
Being able to at least have some anomaly or unknown signal detection would be handy. Fdevs could even make it another engineering fiesta to make it able to detect fainter and fainter signals. That would add a LOT to exploration

Lots of possibilities, none in place. fingers crossed

damon8r351
Novice
Novice
CMDR: damon8r351

Postby damon8r351 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:02 pm

LeDoyen wrote:it's hard to triangulate with only one (moving) satellite :)
Fdevs could even make it another engineering fiesta to make it able to detect fainter and fainter signals. That would add a LOT to exploration

Lots of possibilities, none in place. fingers crossed

So speaking of that, is there a way of submitting suggestions that go to the developers? For instance, for No Man's Sky (let me finish before you start throwing rocks at me), there's a link on the developer's site where you can submit tickets for bug reports and suggestions. I think I've submitted almost 30 suggestions for that game, and have actually seen a few of them implemented (probably because a hundred other tickets said the same exact thing).

So I'd be interested in finding the equivalent for Elite.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:23 pm

There is the fd suggestion forum.

It's largely ignored.
And this specific feature has been suggested once or twice every month since the horizons beta 1.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “General Discussion”