Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Improving Combat Skills

Postby de Carabas » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:44 am

In 'live' I play pretty much exclusively in Mobius and have no issues with PvE encounters.
In the new Beta the other day I was in 'open' and spent some time defending CMDRs at the Thargoid site from some of the normal disruptive elements in my engineered Corvette. I was doing OK until an unshielded FGS engaged me and through clever use of heat sinks and some wonderful flying handed me my arse.

Thoughts I've had are:
    Don't forget to fit shield boosters (doh!)
    Learn to not rely on gimballed weapons
    Actually learn to fly with FA off
    Try CQC (this one I tried but never got any match ups, got bored waiting)

Any other thoughts on how to improve combat flying? I'm still not interested in PvP in general, so I get the argument of 'why bother' but it bugs me that I could be better.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Re: Improving Combat Skills

Postby smartroad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 am

Personally if I go into Open I just use my over engineered Cobra and run away very, very quickly :D hehe
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Orochimaru » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:47 am

de Carabas wrote:In 'live' I play pretty much exclusively in Mobius and have no issues with PvE encounters.
In the new Beta the other day I was in 'open' and spent some time defending CMDRs at the Thargoid site from some of the normal disruptive elements in my engineered Corvette. I was doing OK until an unshielded FGS engaged me and through clever use of heat sinks and some wonderful flying handed me my arse.

Thoughts I've had are:
    Don't forget to fit shield boosters (doh!)
    Learn to not rely on gimballed weapons
    Actually learn to fly with FA off
    Try CQC (this one I tried but never got any match ups, got bored waiting)

Any other thoughts on how to improve combat flying? I'm still not interested in PvP in general, so I get the argument of 'why bother' but it bugs me that I could be better.
Practice, practice, practice. If you want to improve your dog fighting skills, build a ship and spend many hours in PvP. Fight humans, not AI. Humans are resourceful and unpredictable.

First answer the questions: will beeing better in combat make you a happier person? should you invest that time doing something else?

Keep in mind that, no matter how good you are, there will be the day when someone else beats you to the punch. Because they have more skill or because they were lucky.

Cheers m8

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Doesn't matter how good you get.
No single setup would work against any possible attacker setup.
In short some fights you just don't take.
Only way to counter this would be with numbers.

As for the rest.
First answer the questions: will beeing better in combat make you a happier person? should you invest that time doing something else?

Is it something you would enjoy?

Fact is. PvP in ED is utterly pointless outside of instant gratification.

There is NOTHING to be gained, it doesn't count to rank. You can't get credits apart from maybe a very paltry bounty amount, most cases not even enough to cover ammo, let alone the rebuy.

Best suggestion I can make though is perhaps to start up a dedicated fight club.
Take an in game group, start a discord server and take it from there.
Don't see any reason why this couldn't be handled from within the mobius community as long as the actual fighting is done in a game group where it is well known mobius rules do not apply.

Else playing for PvP in open would be a waiting game at best.
Spending three hours waiting for a fight is not what I consider fun.

Most cases the griefers use setups and tactics purely to cause, well, grief.
They aren't interested in fighting really. So why bother ?

Nobody really need protection either in this game. They click open, they ask for it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:20 pm

I find PvP more entertaining then clubbing AI, *if* I want a proper fight.
A core problem with the loadouts is that if you don't spend absurd time searching for materials, thus being able to "god-roll" and experimental-effect many modules on your ship, you will face a huge drawback at an encounter. Of course, skill can compensate quite a bit, but the limits are close.
The other problem is that if you configure your ship for anything else than combat, a PvP combat build would mostly have the upper hand. Even stealth builds, theoretically more flexible, have tight limits.
Which on the one hand sounds logical (military vessel vs. more universal build), on the other hand makes it hard to stand a fight if you are not in that 15 ly-jumping weapon-banks-only 101 FDL, FAS, or that shiny Cutter/Corvette. Offering you only to flee if you are interdicted really ... okay if the interdictor is not that green kid who doesn't know how to fly, that is.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 pm

uvelius wrote:The other problem is that if you configure your ship for anything else than combat, a PvP combat build would mostly have the upper hand. Even stealth builds, theoretically more flexible, have tight limits.

What do you mean by stealth builds?
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:10 pm

TorTorden wrote:Fact is. PvP in ED is utterly pointless outside of instant gratification.

This is true only if:

1 you ignore BGS play (which I believe you don't indulge in);

2 you have no intention of building a reputation as an ace bounty hunter;

3 you have no intention of building a reputation as a notable bad boy.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:38 pm

Walter wrote:
TorTorden wrote:Fact is. PvP in ED is utterly pointless outside of instant gratification.

This is true only if:

The bgs is utterly unnafected by PvP.
Unless you consider doing missions for one faction while someone runs missions for another faction as "pvp".
If you consider engaging the other player to prevent his bgs actions I have one word for you.
Instancing.
I could affect the bgs just as effectively in solo as in open.

As for the other two.
I'm not eight years old.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Postby tinnitus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:41 pm

Don't forget your space ship has reverse, can stop, no such thing as stall speed management took me awhile to remember that after many hours playing F16 Sims.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:24 pm

TorTorden wrote:
Walter wrote:

This is true only if:

The bgs is utterly unnafected by PvP.
Unless you consider doing missions for one faction while someone runs missions for another faction as "pvp".
If you consider engaging the other player to prevent his bgs actions I have one word for you.
Instancing.
I could affect the bgs just as effectively in solo as in open.

If you change instances to avoid other players then any PvP comments are irrelevant.
I was thnking more of conflicts when, given a skilled PvP player, stations and systems can be won or lost on the turn of a ship.

TorTorden wrote:As for the other two.
I'm not eight years old.

Me neither - I entirely agree - but they are the whole point for some players. And there are many others, serious BGS players, who refuse the open and solo options and are quite prepared to learn to deal with the vicissitudes of the game as they are presented and accept that PvP can be an essential part of the structure.
I'm not at all interested in PvP - I just want to play the game they way I play it without annoyances (any more than FD deem necessary), but ED is flexible enough to accommodate a variety of playing styles.

Otherwise Mobius could not exist.

Return to “General Discussion”