Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

CZ and SLF Wingmen

Postby DarkMere » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:12 am

Just a general question about CZ abd SLF wingmen, do you use them in a CZ?

I have often said here that I am not a good combat pilot, however I think I would now class myself as OK. Not outstanding but OK. However one thing that has not changed is the long yellow streak down my back. In a Haz-Res or at a CNB, I find there is very little risk as you more or less dictate the pace and you only take on what you are comfortable with, with regards to the number of hostile ships at a time and the type of ships. However those rules do not apply in the CZ.

So far I have been in the CZ without my winglady as I do not want to go losing my ship and so lose her and start again. Everyone that told me that she would be a real asset once she got past Expert were right. Am I being too cautious, too much of a coward? What does everyone else do when fighting in the CZ?

Spike1986
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Spike1986
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: CZ and SLF Wingmen

Postby Spike1986 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:32 am

My "Elite" SLF normally lasts less than a minute in a CZ. I don't know what kind of damage she does in such a short time, but I let her try :)

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:47 am

Spike1986 wrote:My "Elite" SLF normally lasts less than a minute in a CZ. I don't know what kind of damage she does in such a short time, but I let her try :)

Yeah, but I am not worried about losing SLF's. I am worried about losing the SLF pilot ;)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:57 am

Loosing the pilot only happen when you die, so prep a highwake and jump if you start taking damage.

It can vary a little with luck, or at least to pay attention and make sure there aren't vipers, eagles etc that attacks it.

Also NEVER use autonomous modes.
Like defend, or especially fire at will.
The latter will make sure it runs straight into he biggest blob of red available and a very quick death.

I keep my slf in either hold fire mode. Or attacking a specific target. And always return to hold fire afterwards.
Do it correct and a slf can stay with me until I start running out of ammo almost.
Now they will pop occasionally but I run a class 6 bay on my vette and I run out of multi cannon ammo before I even get close to running out of fighters.

The straight damage on slf's vary with what type they are.
The fixed beam versions are comparable to a vulture with two class 3 gimballed beams without engineering.
But still that's nothing to scoff at.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:46 am

Tor is right. (That was hard to say )

Fighters have three modes. Defend, Engage at will, and hold fire. These modes are the level 1 commands that take precedent over all others.

If you tell your fighter to hold fire it will do that no matter what happens to you. It will fly in formation with you. If you tell it to Defend, it will shoot at any target that shoots you. And Tor explained the engage at will.

In a CZ I launch it and then tell it hold fire. I will then direct its fire only to specific targets. It draws fire occasionally when I take on a wing from the other wing members, but the rest of the CZ will generally ignore it.

In a RES i will switch between defend when taking on single targets, to engage at will for wings and use the Attack my target as needed.

In game the modes are called Defend, Aggressive (Fire at will), and I think Hold Formation. I have all the modes setup with keys in the binds file, as well as in VA and on my Joystick.

I also have recall the fighter setup as well in VA and on my stick.

If anyone is wondering, any turrets I use are set to target only in a CZ and fire at will in a RES unless I need to use Regen beams on wingmates.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Spike1986
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Spike1986

Postby Spike1986 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Tried Tor's suggestions today and it made a massive difference. I only lost one fighter before running out of ammo.

Cheers Commander..o7

Return to “General Discussion”