Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Display Port to HDMI for Rift

Postby tinnitus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:49 pm

Went to the big City of Vancouver today, visited the Computer Shop and bought a Display Port (Passive) to HDMI for the Rift. While it is not a huge difference between the two, colours appear better and graphics a little sharper. Only been using it for one hour but no stuttering not that there was more using HDMI.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Re: Display Port to HDMI for Rift

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Yep.....Read that.....

HDMI applies TV sthg or other and the rift is not seen as a monitor.....

Add the adaptor and it treats it as a monitor.......

Having a right mare trying to figure out EXACTLY what is happening with the rift.....

Settings and GPU/CPU/RAM usage wise.......

It just does not add up......

Dropping frames when nothing is near maxed out..........

Also finding higher settings give me more FPS than lower settings....

Work that one out............

:?

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:22 pm

I have always heard you needed an active adapter for the hmd's.
And I have a passive dp-hdmi adapter that doesn't work at all for vr.
But it's just fine for the tv. So I just use it for that and the native HDMI out for the HMD.

Not sure if you have tested the beta yet. But I am getting a lot less fps drops in it than in live.
Still places I tend to drop but those are the usual culprits.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:58 pm

TorTorden wrote:I have always heard you needed an active adapter for the hmd's.
And I have a passive dp-hdmi adapter that doesn't work at all for vr.
But it's just fine for the tv. So I just use it for that and the native HDMI out for the HMD.

Not sure if you have tested the beta yet. But I am getting a lot less fps drops in it than in live.
Still places I tend to drop but those are the usual culprits.

Depends on your graphics card. If your card is DP++ then passive is fine, otherwise you need an active one. Tried an active one and it produces red vertical lines in the rift hence the trip into the City to get a passive. One thing I did notice is that you have to prepare the Monitor port before connecting the rift anything above 1920x1440 I get no rift video the other thing that pissed be off is that if you have more than two Monitors the darn thing does not work, the doxs said any HDMI, Display Port or DVI should work guessing the underline word is should work. The Tech here in town said it would work with as many Monitor as the GPU can use. Well, no. Also know that a friend cannot get the Rift working on his DUAL GPU rig. My GPU is an AMD Radeon RD 390x should handle most jobs.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:14 pm

Umm.
That card is barely up to minimum specs for oculus.
And elite is a hefty vr title, significantly more demanding than most titles that minimum has been measured for.
Even titans xp's are struggling maintaining fluid native fps.

In short I wouldn't recommend vr and elite unless you had at minimum a 980ti or 1070.
Also.
VR does not support crossfire or SLI in general. There are a few titles with special api's for it but hardly any games outside of Nvidias own toy box has it fully implemented.
Tell your friend to disable one of the cards.

AMD is still way behind nvidia on gpu's. They have not managed with Vega what they did with Ryzen. The new top Vega is barely edging out 1070's and costs as much as a 1080 currently. And tops it all off with demanding as much power and wattage as my 1080ti in use.

And these Nvidia cards are over a year and half old already.
They are simply twelve months to late.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:24 am

Oh well thanks for the information not going to buy another GPU in the short term will look at it if I'm still into this next year after we make the move to live in Australia which will be next year Sep/Oct.

Maybe buy won if I win the Hold'em Tournament this weekend :) or may have to sell something if I lose :(
Image]

Return to “General Discussion”