Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Brains In The Anal Region

Postby DarkMere » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:30 am

Don't you just love Red Dwarf quotes :) With the subject title I am referring to myself.

I intended to spend an hour progressing my own cause and 3 hours for oom, in the end I spent the full 4 hours trying to sort my own aims out and if I had a brain I would be dangerous.

I want to get engineers for FSD distance up to level 5, but at the moment I am still at level 4 trying to find everything I need for a level 4 upgrade. Found the Mangenese last night with no problem and also scanned a few wakes for the Eccentric Hyperspace Trajectories, but with no luck. Asked the ever helpful JohnLuke for the best place to find the suitable wakes and he pointed me in the right direction, so this morning off I go.

I scanned countless wakes and wasted loads of time but never found the ones I needed........... but I did. You see when the scan said Wake(YR 8383674 whatever), I expected it to say Wake(Eccentric Hyperspace Trajectories). When it finally dawned on Mr Thicky here that the information in the brackets related to the ship that left the wake(I think). I looked in my inventory and found that I already had 6 of the wake data I wanted. Oh that's great thought I, lets make it a dozen and I will be on my way. So again I scan countless wakes and no luck, still only 6 in my inventory. Darn these are proving hard to find. Then it dawned on Mr Thicky. Maybe it does not warn you when you have no room for more data in your inventory, so does not collect any more. Yep that proved to be the case, so having wasted a few hours I finally got the number of wakes I wanted, and turned my attention to getting the Chemical Distillery's that I need.

Back to base, collect my combat ship, find an anarchy system, get to the navigation beacon, start laying waste to trading ships. In fact in the whole hour plus I was at the beacon I only saw 5 type 7's, 1 type 6, 1 Hauler and no chemical distillery's from any of them, so out of frustration I spend a while shooting down anything that comes remotely within range, and after a long while, still did not find what I needed. So I went home with my tail between my legs and gave up.

Sorry guys (generic) not a thing done for oom today, but will focus purely on oom later.

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Brains In The Anal Region

Postby AndyB » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:40 am

it gets worse

DarkMere wrote:
I want to get engineers for FSD distance up to level 5, but at the moment I am still at level 4 trying to find everything I need for a level 4 upgrade.

you don't need to roll level 4's to get to level 5, you could have rolled a few level 1's and got to 5 using only basic materials like sulphur and iron
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Cometborne » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:49 am

E:D RNG in a nutshell:
  • Sometimes, you loose.
  • Sometimes, you simply do not win.
  • Sometimes, the others win.

All joking aside, if all you want to do is to increase your engineer access from level 4 to level 5, you can also do about 12 level 3 rolls instead of the three level 4 rolls you are trying to get the materials for. Or about 48 level 2 rolls. Or about 192 level 1 rolls. It is not necessary to do FSD range increases, either: The access level is per engineer, not per blueprint.

Since you are talking about either Martuuk or Farseer, one alternative is to use the road to riches or any of the other ELW/tHMC/tWW lists and sell that data at Martuuk's or Farseer's base to increase your access level. IIRC, I needed about 10 million to get Farseer to L5 and 15 million to get Martuuk to L5; this might have become 20 million and 30 million with 2.3. This sounds like a lot, but a single terraformable HMC is worth about 500.000 these days, so you need to scan between 40 and 60 of them.

And last but not least, if all you need is Chemical Distilleries, google for Dav's Hope. Or the Wolf 485a mega ship. Or any other of the other abandoned settlements with engineer materials. And while you are out there, grab any chemical manipulators you see, you will need those for the grade 5 range increase.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Thank you both. Good to know I do not have to roll level 4 to get level 5. I went to Dav's Hope but sadly no Chemical Distilleries no matter how many times I changed groups (11) for a respawn. However the good news is I enjoyed the trip and got lots of other stuff, including Chemical Manipulators :)

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:28 am

Yayyyy, I got there in the end, so can go back to devoting 100% to oom for a while. I have a few questions.

For my level 4 and 5 rolls I read that the items 'Energy Grid Assembly' and 'Magnetic Emitter Coils' were needed, so before going to Farseer I bought some of each. However after the upgrades I still had the same number of each, so I am guessing that the engineers supply their own?

I only had a very limit number of rolls for level 5, and so you can't reject what you think is a half reasonable roll (although I don't really understand the readings). Anyway I am sure that people have achieved far more range than I, but I have managed to get my AspX to just over 47.5ly so that will do for now.

I did notice that you can get upgrades for the scanner to make it lighter. I wonder if that has a very beneficial affect on your range?

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:11 am

There is a lot of old info on the 'net for recipe requirements. In a recent patch, FD did away with the cargo requirements. You only need to bring the necessary mats and data with you to the engineers to run the roulette wheel for mods now.

It looks like Inara is updated with the removal of cargo requirements.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “General Discussion”