Keybinds Reset - GRRRRRRRRR

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Rylo Ken
Novice
Novice
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:52 pm
CMDR: Rylo Ken
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Keybinds Reset - GRRRRRRRRR

Postby Rylo Ken » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:40 pm

So when I went to bed last night, I left my machine working on a winblows update. This morning, when I logged in to ED, my keybinds are all gone. Holy frackety frack!!!!

So I'm now going through the process of rebinding everything. Does anyone know how I can keep this from happening again? What file can I back up to restore the bindings automatically?

RK

User avatar
Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 am
CMDR: Orochimaruh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: Keybinds Reset - GRRRRRRRRR

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Rylo Ken wrote:So when I went to bed last night, I left my machine working on a winblows update. This morning, when I logged in to ED, my keybinds are all gone. Holy frackety frack!!!!

So I'm now going through the process of rebinding everything. Does anyone know how I can keep this from happening again? What file can I back up to restore the bindings automatically?

RK
I backup my key setup (save the XML file) to prevent stuff like that. I also rename the key setup to something I can select from the drop-down list in ED settings.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Rylo Ken
Novice
Novice
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:52 pm
CMDR: Rylo Ken
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Re: Keybinds Reset - GRRRRRRRRR

Postby Rylo Ken » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:11 pm

Orochimaru wrote:
Rylo Ken wrote:So when I went to bed last night, I left my machine working on a winblows update. This morning, when I logged in to ED, my keybinds are all gone. Holy frackety frack!!!!

So I'm now going through the process of rebinding everything. Does anyone know how I can keep this from happening again? What file can I back up to restore the bindings automatically?

RK
I backup my key setup (save the XML file) to prevent stuff like that. I also rename the key setup to something I can select from the drop-down list in ED settings.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk


FANTASTIC!! Would you mind sharing how? On both steps? What file do I backup? How do I rename the file so I can identify it in my drop-down list?

RK

User avatar
Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 am
CMDR: Orochimaruh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: Keybinds Reset - GRRRRRRRRR

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Rylo Ken wrote:
Orochimaru wrote:
Rylo Ken wrote:So when I went to bed last night, I left my machine working on a winblows update. This morning, when I logged in to ED, my keybinds are all gone. Holy frackety frack!!!!

So I'm now going through the process of rebinding everything. Does anyone know how I can keep this from happening again? What file can I back up to restore the bindings automatically?

RK
I backup my key setup (save the XML file) to prevent stuff like that. I also rename the key setup to something I can select from the drop-down list in ED settings.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk


FANTASTIC!! Would you mind sharing how? On both steps? What file do I backup? How do I rename the file so I can identify it in my drop-down list?

RK
Sure. Let me get home and I will tell you the directory and how to edit the XML.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Rylo Ken
Novice
Novice
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:52 pm
CMDR: Rylo Ken
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Re: Keybinds Reset - GRRRRRRRRR

Postby Rylo Ken » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks friend. I got it sorted... Googlefu to the rescue. What a pain in the southside.

RK

User avatar
Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 am
CMDR: Orochimaruh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: Keybinds Reset - GRRRRRRRRR

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:48 pm

Rylo Ken wrote:Thanks friend. I got it sorted... Googlefu to the rescue. What a pain in the southside.
RK


:)
You can find the bindings on:
C:\Users\{userhere}\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Rename the xml file to something you like to call your configuration. Mine is Rui-mk3.xml

Edit the XML and in the start of the file, add your bindings config name. In the example below my configuration is called Rui-mk3. This is the name that will appear on the ED settings, keyboard bindings, pull-down menu.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<Root PresetName="Rui-mk3" MajorVersion="2" MinorVersion="0">
<KeyboardLayout>en-US</KeyboardLayout>

Lastly, add the configuration to the file StartPreset.start. Add the string Rui-mk3 to StartPreset.start.

Restart ED. Done!

Enjoy my friend and I hop it works well for you.
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Mr_McBride
Competent
Competent
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:19 pm
CMDR: Mr_McBride
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: Keybinds Reset - GRRRRRRRRR

Postby Mr_McBride » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Rylo Ken wrote:So when I went to bed last night, I left my machine working on a winblows update. This morning, when I logged in to ED, my keybinds are all gone. Holy frackety frack!!!!

So I'm now going through the process of rebinding everything. Does anyone know how I can keep this from happening again? What file can I back up to restore the bindings automatically?

RK


I'd open a ticket with M$ for that issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
DarkMere
Master
Master
Posts: 913
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:46 am
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Re: Keybinds Reset - GRRRRRRRRR

Postby DarkMere » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Orochimaru wrote:Sure. Let me get home and I will tell you the directory and how to edit the XML.

Good idea for saving the key bindings, thanks for sharing Orochimaru
Image

User avatar
Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 3768
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:28 pm
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Re: Keybinds Reset - GRRRRRRRRR

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:27 pm

I just use EDConfig......

Backs up my bindings and my custom hud colours......

Re-apply at a click....

Old but works......

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=116684
Image

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

TorTorden
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 3961
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:13 am
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: Keybinds Reset - GRRRRRRRRR

Postby TorTorden » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:I just use EDConfig......

Backs up my bindings and my custom hud colours......

Re-apply at a click....

Old but works......

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=116684

Edprofiler is probably a bit more current and updated.

http://www.drkaii.com/tools/edprofiler/
Image

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

i