The Block Function

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Phillipus
Expert
Expert
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

The Block Function

Postby Phillipus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:45 am

The following may not be relevant if you only play in Private Groups and/or Solo but it's interesting nonetheless...

I noticed this thread in the E:D forum:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/367388-Lead-Designers-advice-on-dealing-with-griefing-(part-2)

The upshot is that, where we might have thought that the in-game "Block" function only blocked a player's communications in the chat window, it does actually go some way toward blocking the player being instanced with you.

As I said, this may only be of use to you if you play in Open mode, and as this is the Mobius PG forum, it may be hypothetical. Nevertheless, I conducted my own experiments in Open mode...

...and it does work! Over the last couple of weeks I went to some Community Goal locations and flew about in a cheap Imperial Courier. Yes, indeedy, plenty of griefing and ganking going on - laying mines in stations, shieldless suicide ganks, etc, etc (basically just a bunch of nob-heads with neon hair in their avatars). In the end I was ganked quite a few times (I'm not complaining, this was part of the experiment). Each time I was ganked I put that player on my Block list. Sure enough, I no longer get instanced with said gankers.

So, if you do play in Open mode, it might be worth filling your block list as per the instructions in the linked forum post.

Here's an idea - all Mobius players en masse play in Open mode and populate their block list with the same gankers. Then just start playing in Open mode - the result being that there are no instances with other players for the gankers to appear in, so they just instance with each other.

:D

sean_crow
Competent
Competent
CMDR: sean_crow

Re: The Block Function

Postby sean_crow » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:17 am

LOL, nice one!
Instead of an ingame friend list we start an ingame block list and prevent those "nob-heads with neon hair in their avatars" from playing. :evil:

Imo
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Imo

Postby Imo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:37 am

But it does not help that much because you can not search for names you had trouble with before and put them onto your black list.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:39 am

There are a couple of problems with the idea:
  • While you can search for and add friends from the main menu, you can only block people if they are currently in your instance or have been in your instance and are still in your history.
  • If the person you blocked has somebody from his friend list in the instance and you have not blocked that friend, you will still be added to the instance. You need to block the friends as well to achieve the desired result (tested during the last incident at the alien site).
  • It is also quite likely that if one of your friends is in the instance with the unwanted players, you will still be added to the instance despite your blocks.
  • An entry on an official in-game block list will probably be seen as a badge of honour or achievement by these types.
  • And last but not least: Why should I waste my game-time to block people when I can achieve the same result by simply selecting 'private group' or 'solo'?
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:43 am

You have to obviously have encountered a nob-head first in order to block them, as per the forum poster's instructions. And, as I said, if you don't want to play in Open then, sure, don't bother. Apart from that, I like the idea.

cyberbofh
Competent
Competent
CMDR: cyberbofh
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby cyberbofh » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:53 pm

Thank you for sharing the info about the block option, but..

Since we're in MOBIUS there is no reason at all to go to open, because everything you can and want to do in this game works perfectly in a private group :)
--

Fly safely CMDR! o7

Discord Mod
Forum Mod

Remember Wheaton's law

ImageImage

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:08 pm

cyberbofh wrote:Thank you for sharing the info about the block option, but..

Since we're in MOBIUS there is no reason at all to go to open, because everything you can and want to do in this game works perfectly in a private group :)

Actually no. I and many others play in all modes.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:13 pm

The block feature is cool for those who want to fly in Open. But I personally don't see a need to. Even when FDev have their Open only events, I don't really bother as the timing is way off for me.
There is no advantage to fly in Open. PvP is meaningless unless you try and attach some meaning to it. Personally I keep wondering why people keep going into Open and then complain about the "gankers". Aren't they part of the "thrill" people in Open are looking for? Sure you can PvP if you find another willing CMDR. But that just seems to be like what people are looking for is one of those "arena" type matches.

Anyway.
Have fun, fly safe. o7

Return to “General Discussion”