Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Passenger Ships

Postby tinnitus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Interesting Passenger Hauler reddit post with good passenger ship detail. I'm going to try the Python but have to make a couple changes first because she is a little heavy now and switching to some Outpost work will provide an opportunity to practice docking in VR.

reddit post link
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Taranava
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Taranava
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Passenger Ships

Postby Taranava » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:31 am

Having bought and A rated an FDL, Python, Beluga, Orca and Anaconda within three weeks with a modest little Dolphin, I think the post was understating its profitability a little.

Also I carry shady and secretive passengers all the time without resorting to silent running. Most of the time I can make it into the station without any scan at all. Use the holo display to line up your approach to the station so that you drop out of cruise in front of the station and prepare to launch a heat sink to disrupt a scan. When you hear "scan detected" wait a couple of beats to pop the heat sink to maximize the time it takes for them to rescan you (which they'll do as soon as you show back up on their sensors).

Planetary landings are trickier unless you've mastered minimizing your approach time, which is also easier to do in a Dolphin.

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby tinnitus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:39 am

Yeah most of us drop the sink if required. I've been working a few Systems for a long time the only time I get a scan is when I change ships, so no problem having shady passengers on-board but have been scanned at the arrival Beacon and now I count the ships on the sensor if more than 3 at the Beacon usually means a scan and or attack. Recently bounced off the station wall trying to drop out close like NPC Pirate but hit the wall once the other attempts were just normal distance. The Dolphin (screaming demon) is a sweet ride and so is the Orca.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Taranava
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Taranava
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Taranava » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:54 pm

I do like the Orca as well, and after learning how to fly the Beluga safely and efficiently, it's not too bad but I think the Dolphin wins my heart for how much of a workhorse it's been. Its rebuy is only a fraction of what one passenger pays for fare so it is low risk and high reward IMO.

Return to “General Discussion”