DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Weapon Size Compared

Postby DarkMere » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:23 pm

William Wolfen wrote:
Falcon_D wrote:I believe also that not all ships are equal. I seem to have read somewhere that even though the FDL is a medium ship when calculating damage taken it is treated as a large ship.

My current understanding is that the system is a little more complicated now. The penetration number of the weapon is compared against the hull hardness of the target ship to determine the damage penalty. Some ships have higher than expected hull hardness, and some weapon types have higher penetration than others.

As to the fer de lance, it has a hull hardness equal to the corvette and cutter, which is the highest available IIRC.

Well if I was not already confused about weapons and shields, I am now confused about hull strength. I have always used the wiki as a guide to hull strength, by checking its armour rating here. It this not the case? :P (losing the plot)

William Wolfen
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: William Wolfen
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby William Wolfen » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:16 pm

DarkMere wrote:
William Wolfen wrote:
Falcon_D wrote:I believe also that not all ships are equal. I seem to have read somewhere that even though the FDL is a medium ship when calculating damage taken it is treated as a large ship.

My current understanding is that the system is a little more complicated now. The penetration number of the weapon is compared against the hull hardness of the target ship to determine the damage penalty. Some ships have higher than expected hull hardness, and some weapon types have higher penetration than others.

As to the fer de lance, it has a hull hardness equal to the corvette and cutter, which is the highest available IIRC.

Well if I was not already confused about weapons and shields, I am now confused about hull strength. I have always used the wiki as a guide to hull strength, by checking its armour rating here. It this not the case? (losing the plot)

Hit points and hull hardness aren't the same thing. Hit points ate pretty obvious. Penetration and hull hardness relate to what percentage of your normal weapon damage is dealt to the hit points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:27 pm

I think the numbers over complicate stuff, if stuff dies quickly enough for you take little damage during the encounter, then the weapon you have chosen is probably correct
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Postby tinnitus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:01 pm

I have the same build on the FDL are the lasers pulse, overcharged, rapid fire, etc? The Huge MC with a secondary effect does the job quickly.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

William Wolfen
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: William Wolfen
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby William Wolfen » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:04 pm

tinnitus wrote:I have the same build on the FDL are the lasers pulse, overcharged, rapid fire, etc? The Huge MC with a secondary effect does the job quickly.

I've got 4 efficient pulse lasers. Let's me shoot and shoot with little worry for power.

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Postby tinnitus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:34 pm

William Wolfen wrote:
tinnitus wrote:I have the same build on the FDL are the lasers pulse, overcharged, rapid fire, etc? The Huge MC with a secondary effect does the job quickly.

I've got 4 efficient pulse lasers. Let's me shoot and shoot with little worry for power.

Yes efficient pulse will shoot and shoot I have 4 of those currently trying Focus less time on the trigger unless 4 Pips to WEP but a little hotter may try a mix of the two or go back to efficient. Notice that Focus does boom those SLF buzzing around like fireflies spamming chaff quicker than efficient. Thanks for the info.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Return to “General Discussion”