Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Do you remember the Thargoids?

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:47 pm

I don't remember them from the C64 days.

I think I remember them from playing Oolite about 7-8 years ago, but it may be from back in the 90's on the PC (sorry - I cannot brain today - I has the dumb). What I remember most was dying a lot. There was a mother ship and multiple drones that were extremely fast and maneuverable and attacked on sight. You had to be very fast and accurate with your mil-spec laser to have a chance. Eventually I got to the point I could survive an encounter. I think if I shot down the drones, the mother ship would fly away, but maybe I took it out too (or I ran away).

Anyway, back then you had the saved game so dying a bunch of times wasn't a big deal. It might be interesting and exciting to run across some Thargoids in ED, but if FD makes it so they can disable and destroy you like a sitting duck, until you get special weapons and protection, then I won't enjoy that at all. I think it would be better if a decent combat ship could take out the drones, but I'm still worried about that mothership just shutting down all the systems. I hope they will be able to update the galaxy map to show the Thargoid area of operation so it will be easier to avoid them.
It's time to give this another go.

leslie.sangster
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Do you remember the Thargoids?

Postby leslie.sangster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I don't remember them from the C64 days.

I think I remember them from playing Oolite about 7-8 years ago, but it may be from back in the 90's on the PC (sorry - I cannot brain today - I has the dumb). What I remember most was dying a lot. There was a mother ship and multiple drones that were extremely fast and maneuverable and attacked on sight. You had to be very fast and accurate with your mil-spec laser to have a chance. Eventually I got to the point I could survive an encounter. I think if I shot down the drones, the mother ship would fly away, but maybe I took it out too (or I ran away).

Anyway, back then you had the saved game so dying a bunch of times wasn't a big deal. It might be interesting and exciting to run across some Thargoids in ED, but if FD makes it so they can disable and destroy you like a sitting duck, until you get special weapons and protection, then I won't enjoy that at all. I think it would be better if a decent combat ship could take out the drones, but I'm still worried about that mothership just shutting down all the systems. I hope they will be able to update the galaxy map to show the Thargoid area of operation so it will be easier to avoid them.

I remember them from the BBC micro days was pulled into witch space a few times.
Edit:
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by leslie.sangster on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Do you remember the Thargoids?

Postby Xebeth » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:51 pm

I seem to recall that if you destroyed the mother ship you could pick up and sell the Tharglets.

I also seem to recall that if you got pulled into 'witch space' you had to hope you still had enough fuel to complete your jump.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

leslie.sangster
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby leslie.sangster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:53 pm

You could always run that's if your power stays on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:56 pm

The EMP disable effect will be the first thing that we "solve", probably via a CG

Unless FD are introducing some new mechanic to the game I'm expecting a heavy focus on CGs
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:22 am

Xebeth wrote:The EMP disable effect will be the first thing that we "solve", probably via a CG

Funny, I was thinking about this very thing not too long ago. Presumably Palin will require us to bring him a bunch of stuff so that he can invent a PP mod or something like that.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:01 am

It just occured that the whole SLF mechanic was needed in order for the Thargoids to have their 'Tharglets'. That's going to be an interesting post when the first person sees that.

I remember them from the BBC Micro days. I remember every hyperspace jump was accompanied by crossing your fingers as getting pulled out by the Thargoids was only going to end one way, at least until you could afford those military lasers etc. It's going to be interesting to see how FD get the balance right for newbies and the tripple Elite in terms of encounters.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Funny, but I don't remember being pulled out of witchspace at all.

I imagine once the EMP problem is solved things will be a little more fair (as long as you have the skill - git gud).
It's time to give this another go.

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall

Postby Jeffers2112 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Yep, on my trusty old BBC micro back in '84.
Usual result from an encounter was pulled into Witch space and then killed.... certainly until I could afford better weapons.
Of course, back then, it just meant going back to your last save. It'll be interesting to see how they implement it this time.
I think it'd be a bit unfair ending up back at the rebuy screen as a result of an encounter you can't avoid.

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:43 pm

I may be misremembering but I recall being able to fly a Thargoid ship?............

Return to “General Discussion”