blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: next best ship

Postby blazingmaniac » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:36 pm

Orochimaru wrote:
Greylock3491 wrote:I'm a huge Python fan too - it's a great all around ship!

Currently on the XBOX I use it for Trading and when I need a good Defensive ship.

And after having to make 10 roundtrips on the PC in my T6 just to get to 50% in the CG (only took me 5 trips on the XBOX in my Python), the first thing I did was visit Li Yong and buy a Python for my PC account too. Large cargo space and still lands in a M pad!

That said, I don't fight in my Python because of the rebuy cost... but my bro Spyrle just did in ELITEcast 2 and he did really well (filmed in XBOX Mobius PG)

For Exploration I've parked my AspX and now use a DBX because of the greater jump range. In fact, my AspX now doesn't have much of a role...

DBX stands for?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

Diamond back Explorer. A fantastic and under used ship I think. Currently using mine to explore. On the way back from a round trip to Colonia, then Sag A and now on my way back to Azrael.
Mid 40's LY jump range with full A spec load out and mild engineering mods. It also got an upgrade in 2.3 with an additional Class 2 bay so now there is no longer a need to choose between an SRV or an AMFU.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:43 pm

blazingmaniac wrote:
Orochimaru wrote:
Greylock3491 wrote:I'm a huge Python fan too - it's a great all around ship!

Currently on the XBOX I use it for Trading and when I need a good Defensive ship.

And after having to make 10 roundtrips on the PC in my T6 just to get to 50% in the CG (only took me 5 trips on the XBOX in my Python), the first thing I did was visit Li Yong and buy a Python for my PC account too. Large cargo space and still lands in a M pad!

That said, I don't fight in my Python because of the rebuy cost... but my bro Spyrle just did in ELITEcast 2 and he did really well (filmed in XBOX Mobius PG)

For Exploration I've parked my AspX and now use a DBX because of the greater jump range. In fact, my AspX now doesn't have much of a role...

DBX stands for?

Diamond back Explorer. A fantastic and under used ship I think. Currently using mine to explore. On the way back from a round trip to Colonia, then Sag A and now on my way back to Azrael.
Mid 40's LY jump range with full A spec load out and mild engineering mods. It also got an upgrade in 2.3 with an additional Class 2 bay so now there is no longer a need to choose between an SRV or an AMFU.

Exploration is in my to-do list.
What about the Asp?

//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby DarkMere » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:05 pm

William Wolfen wrote:
DarkMere wrote:I have never had a FDL and I have often wondered if its 1x Huge and 4x Medium weapons, are superior to the Pythons 3x Large and 2x Medium. Of course as you would expect of a pure fighter the FDL is both faster and more manoeuvrable than the Python, but then both its shields and hull are weaker.

Everyone said I would love the Python if I got one and I do, its very versatile, but then I have always said I am not a combat pilot. That said I think it and me do not do so bad in that role :)

One false statement in there: The FDL has nearly double the shielding of the Python and 2 more utility slots.

I love my FDL. I'm running 4 efficient pulses with a huge multicannon (lightweight til I get some MEFs for overchared 5). I have 952 MJ of shields with ~49% thermal, ~52% Kinetic and ~64% explosive resists using a thermal resistant 5C Biweave and 6 grade 3 shield boosters. It has just over 20 LY of jump range with a good g5 roll on the FSD and the lightweight MC. I'm sure even more performance can be squeezed out with better engineering, but I'm only part of the way through unlocking them.

The downside? The lack of internals. I have a 5C biweave, 4C fuel scoop, 4E cargo rack (16 units), an SRV bay, and an advanced discovery scanner. That's all she wrote. For a long trip, trading out the cargo rack for a fuel tank would be advisable, especially if you're not careful in your route planning to avoid stretches of unscoopable stars.

The Python wins hands down for utility, but I think the FDL has a huge leg up in combat.

I stand corrected if this is true, as I said I have never had a FDL. However I got my information from this page of the Wiki regarding default ship specifications

William Wolfen
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: William Wolfen

Postby William Wolfen » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:22 pm

DarkMere wrote:
William Wolfen wrote:
DarkMere wrote:I have never had a FDL and I have often wondered if its 1x Huge and 4x Medium weapons, are superior to the Pythons 3x Large and 2x Medium. Of course as you would expect of a pure fighter the FDL is both faster and more manoeuvrable than the Python, but then both its shields and hull are weaker.

Everyone said I would love the Python if I got one and I do, its very versatile, but then I have always said I am not a combat pilot. That said I think it and me do not do so bad in that role :)

One false statement in there: The FDL has nearly double the shielding of the Python and 2 more utility slots.

I love my FDL. I'm running 4 efficient pulses with a huge multicannon (lightweight til I get some MEFs for overchared 5). I have 952 MJ of shields with ~49% thermal, ~52% Kinetic and ~64% explosive resists using a thermal resistant 5C Biweave and 6 grade 3 shield boosters. It has just over 20 LY of jump range with a good g5 roll on the FSD and the lightweight MC. I'm sure even more performance can be squeezed out with better engineering, but I'm only part of the way through unlocking them.

The downside? The lack of internals. I have a 5C biweave, 4C fuel scoop, 4E cargo rack (16 units), an SRV bay, and an advanced discovery scanner. That's all she wrote. For a long trip, trading out the cargo rack for a fuel tank would be advisable, especially if you're not careful in your route planning to avoid stretches of unscoopable stars.

The Python wins hands down for utility, but I think the FDL has a huge leg up in combat.

I stand corrected if this is true, as I said I have never had a FDL. However I got my information from this page of the Wiki regarding default ship specifications

FDL:
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/fer_de_ ... QgIwV0A%3D

Python:
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/python? ... A%3D%3D%3D

And that's with biweaves and no engineering. (the setups are bare except for the shields, just to show shield values) The FDL comes with a 4E shield instead of a 5E, so it looks worse than it should be with the base specs. Coriolis.edcd.io is your friend.

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:54 pm

William Wolfen wrote:
DarkMere wrote:
William Wolfen wrote:

FDL:
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/fer_de_ ... QgIwV0A%3D

Python:
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/python? ... A%3D%3D%3D

And that's with biweaves and no engineering. (the setups are bare except for the shields, just to show shield values) The FDL comes with a 4E shield instead of a 5E, so it looks worse than it should be with the base specs. Coriolis.edcd.io is your friend.

Like I said I do stand corrected and I was giving the standard ship settings. However I think it might be a bit unfair to compare them together with all the utility mounts filled with shield boosters. If you take them away, the FDL is still better but not by so much of a margin. I mean if you are going to use all the utility mounts for shield boosters then we could use the extra internals of the Python for shield cell banks which while not adding to the shield strength, do add to the shield capability. That said I would last longer in a fight using a FDL as I run when the shields go down, so the extra hull strength of the Python would not serve me at all.

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing

Postby blazingmaniac » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:56 pm

Orochimaru wrote:
blazingmaniac wrote:
Orochimaru wrote:DBX stands for?

Exploration is in my to-do list.
What about the Asp?

ASP is the popular choice and with good reason as you can fit a Class 6 Fuel scoop and refuel in about 6 seconds per jump, plus cargo space as well over and above the DBX. The DBX can only have a Class 4 Fuel scoop so it takes a bit longer to refuel per jump, personally I dont mind as I can check the system out while I scoop.
The DBX is a cheaper option than the ASP, both ships with some light weigh components can easily get over 50Ly's jump range.
I have had no problems using the DBX on my 59Kly expedition so far :)

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Pam Demonium

Postby Pam Demonium » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:01 am

Orochimaru wrote:DBX stands for?
Diamond back Explorer.
What about the Asp?

The DBX is a surgeon's scalpel. The AspX is a battle ax.
They both go a good job, but are very different to fly.
The AspX is more forgiving, and can plow though a lot. The DBX skims along, yet dents a wee bit easier.
I prefer the DBX, its more my flying style. Id explore in either, and leave the python for mining, other not so demanding tasks.

I just went from an AspX to a python, since Im out here in Colonia, its a darn weenie python build. It makes a great mining scow with lots more of everything. It has the 5A modded out of the AspX I flew out here in, and it will do 33ly jumps, so not bad for a mining ship that never leaves Colonia sector.

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:49 am

I have only good memories of my DBX, the one and only very minor negative remark I can make, is that I hated the sound it made.

Greylock3491
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Greylock3491

Postby Greylock3491 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:08 am

Back on the Python, if you go to Coriolis and sort by Cargo there's no medium ship that even comes close - it's a huge gap and one reason why I love using the Python for trade cgs :-D

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:08 am

Greylock3491 wrote:Back on the Python, if you go to Coriolis and sort by Cargo there's no medium ship that even comes close - it's a huge gap and one reason why I love using the Python for trade cgs :-D

And they just recently boosted the T7 to carry 300 tons, it used to be on par with a python, utterly useless for anything but cargo and couldn't land on outposts.

The python carried as much as it, landed on medium platforms, and could kill anything in front of it at the same time.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “General Discussion”