Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

next best ship

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:28 am

I am currently grinding my way to increase rep with the Federation, and using the Cr's to improve my Vulture and T6. Will start with power play this weekend, to get some bigger meaning into my grinding life.

What can be my next best ship? I like combat a lot. Should I go for a FdL, a Python?

I know that when asking for the "best" ship, the answer invariably is a "well, it depends!"
It depends on your personal taste, the looks, the sound of the engines, the handling and the way it fits your RP story.

Still I am banking on your experience for some insider info.
Thanks in advance.
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: next best ship

Postby Lanceor » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:58 am

The Python is often touted as the best all-rounder. It is well above average at most tasks including combat. It is only average for exploring/jump range though.

FdL is considered one of the best pure combat ships. However, it will take a while to get used to if you've come straight from the easy-handling Vulture. A Federal Assault Ship is a pure combat alternative to the FdL if you want easy-handling but it is a shade less powerful than the FdL.

I noticed you don't have an Asp Explorer yet. It is another superb all-rounder with excellent jump range. Its only weakness is combat.
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:03 am

I've always liked the Python. It's got the fire-power and enough cargo space to run missions and it's no issue landing at outposts, so it's great for reputation building. My brother just can't get on with it though and prefers the Clipper (even with the restrictions on docking). As you say, each to their own.

I have tried the FDL before and my recollection of it was that it was much more obvious that your view is not central in the cockpit and it just bugged me more in that ship than in any other.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:56 am

If you want a pure combat ship, go for the FDL. If you want a ship in that size class that's really solid at combat and can do a whole host of other things after a quick outfitting swap, then absolutely get a Python.

You may also get some insight from this thread. It started as a comparison of FGS and Python, but there are some FDL comments in there too.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:04 am

I have never had a FDL and I have often wondered if its 1x Huge and 4x Medium weapons, are superior to the Pythons 3x Large and 2x Medium. Of course as you would expect of a pure fighter the FDL is both faster and more manoeuvrable than the Python, but then both its shields and hull are weaker.

Everyone said I would love the Python if I got one and I do, its very versatile, but then I have always said I am not a combat pilot. That said I think it and me do not do so bad in that role :)

Brano
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Brano

Postby Brano » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:06 am

Python is like expensive girlfriend :D If you are with Imps and got to baron rank,I'd highly recommend Imp clipper. Is less then a half price of python,more manoeuvrable and boy that boost speed is just awesome. It lacks a bit in compartment load out and hard points ( one less large then python) but for the price it's best ship available. My only personal grunt is about it's inability to land on medium pads. Come on Gutamaya,clip those clipper wings :idea:

Greylock3491
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Greylock3491

Postby Greylock3491 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:03 pm

I'm a huge Python fan too - it's a great all around ship!

Currently on the XBOX I use it for Trading and when I need a good Defensive ship.

And after having to make 10 roundtrips on the PC in my T6 just to get to 50% in the CG (only took me 5 trips on the XBOX in my Python), the first thing I did was visit Li Yong and buy a Python for my PC account too. Large cargo space and still lands in a M pad!

That said, I don't fight in my Python because of the rebuy cost... but my bro Spyrle just did in ELITEcast 2 and he did really well (filmed in XBOX Mobius PG)

For Exploration I've parked my AspX and now use a DBX because of the greater jump range. In fact, my AspX now doesn't have much of a role...

William Wolfen
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: William Wolfen

Postby William Wolfen » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:07 pm

DarkMere wrote:I have never had a FDL and I have often wondered if its 1x Huge and 4x Medium weapons, are superior to the Pythons 3x Large and 2x Medium. Of course as you would expect of a pure fighter the FDL is both faster and more manoeuvrable than the Python, but then both its shields and hull are weaker.

Everyone said I would love the Python if I got one and I do, its very versatile, but then I have always said I am not a combat pilot. That said I think it and me do not do so bad in that role :)

One false statement in there: The FDL has nearly double the shielding of the Python and 2 more utility slots.

I love my FDL. I'm running 4 efficient pulses with a huge multicannon (lightweight til I get some MEFs for overchared 5). I have 952 MJ of shields with ~49% thermal, ~52% Kinetic and ~64% explosive resists using a thermal resistant 5C Biweave and 6 grade 3 shield boosters. It has just over 20 LY of jump range with a good g5 roll on the FSD and the lightweight MC. I'm sure even more performance can be squeezed out with better engineering, but I'm only part of the way through unlocking them.

The downside? The lack of internals. I have a 5C biweave, 4C fuel scoop, 4E cargo rack (16 units), an SRV bay, and an advanced discovery scanner. That's all she wrote. For a long trip, trading out the cargo rack for a fuel tank would be advisable, especially if you're not careful in your route planning to avoid stretches of unscoopable stars.

The Python wins hands down for utility, but I think the FDL has a huge leg up in combat.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Greylock3491 wrote:I'm a huge Python fan too - it's a great all around ship!

Currently on the XBOX I use it for Trading and when I need a good Defensive ship.

And after having to make 10 roundtrips on the PC in my T6 just to get to 50% in the CG (only took me 5 trips on the XBOX in my Python), the first thing I did was visit Li Yong and buy a Python for my PC account too. Large cargo space and still lands in a M pad!

That said, I don't fight in my Python because of the rebuy cost... but my bro Spyrle just did in ELITEcast 2 and he did really well (filmed in XBOX Mobius PG)

For Exploration I've parked my AspX and now use a DBX because of the greater jump range. In fact, my AspX now doesn't have much of a role...

DBX stands for?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:31 pm

CMDRs thanks a lot for your replies. I have the info I need to make a decision.

This is indeed a great community.
Thanks guys
o7

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”