Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Yeah - I got cocky.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:02 pm

I've never been super serious about combat, focusing on trading and exploration, and just enough combat to get elite. I've barely done any combat since before the Distant Worlds Expedition a year and a half ago. I cleared my save and moved to Colonia 6 months ago, and have barely scratched my combat rank since, doing mostly mining and missions. Then I took a couple months off.

So after a few evenings back, today I figured I'd give combat a go. I bought my first ever FDL (Colonia outfitting). I interdicted a few pirates and took an assassination mission. Thinking this was pretty easy, I headed to the High Res. First thing I took on was a wing and got out of that with 75% hull, thanks to the help from the local defense forces. But instead of leaving, I stuck around. Made a couple million before I took on a deadly FGS. I got his shields down fast enough, but he must have been hull tanked or something. I eventually lost my shields. Instead of bugging out, I stayed in the fight. Several warnings about the cockpit later I was still slugging it out. Then the canopy blew.

I finally ran for it then, but it took me two minutes to figure out that I'd never make it to Pendersen's Legacy, and then took another 30 seconds to figure out I could jump to another system faster, but had to log out to figure out where to go because I forgot where everything was. So I logged back in and headed to Morty's with about 2 minutes of air left. I ran out of time about 5 seconds from being able to drop out of SC at the outpost.

I would have made it easily if I jumped right away, or if I had better life support for being out in the boonies, or if I wasn't so stupid about staying in a fight. Oh well, this would have really bugged me 2 years ago. Now it's just - meh, it's only credits, which are stupid easy to make. If they forced an iron man mode I may feel a bit differently, and I'd certainly play differently.

I also forgot I wasn't going to try combat again until I got my CH Throttle/USB troubles figured out. :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Pam Demonium

Re: Yeah - I got cocky.

Postby Pam Demonium » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Ive mounted a class 3 cannon, and two class 2 beams on my DBX, for the first time ever.
Doing Mobius Naval missions, and not usre how friendly the op4 is, so zap, zap, BOOM, I go

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby DarkMere » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:25 am

Sorry that you lost your ship, at the same time you are right, its only credits and credits are only time. Somehow though it does sting deeper than that.

I have always confessed that I am not a natural combat pilot. My problem is I can be spooked into flustering like a rabbit caught in a cars headlights. So now if I am in a one on one fight and my shields go down, unless his hull is already well below 50% I am out of it.

William Wolfen
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: William Wolfen

Postby William Wolfen » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:29 pm

I'm a firm believer in shield tanking only. If my shields are about to drop, or have dropped, I'm running.

Though I did lose my FDL last night after waling away to cook dinner when parked on a random planet's surface. Came back to a re-buy screen.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Yup. And I think ships are a lot harder to kill these days then when I used to play.

Still, there is no doubt, I had the dumb.

Taranava
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Taranava

Postby Taranava » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:14 pm

DarkMere wrote:My problem is I can be spooked into flustering like a rabbit caught in a cars headlights.

CMDR Unmarkedboxcar would sometimes get alarmed at how low I'll go on hull before leaving in a fight, my threshold varies depending on what I'm flying though it's usually around 5% but have often made it out on 1% at times in my DBS. There are times where I've lost several million in bounties riding that edge but for me the thrill is worth it.

Once I lost the canopy in my Vulture at a CZ and made the decision to push the time on the life support until he reminded me how far we were from the station. We left and he got to see me blow up just a second from entering the mail slot. >.<

One more second and my greatest folly could have been my greatest story. All in all it's just super fun. :)

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:32 pm

confident, cocky, arrogant....dead

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:27 pm

There are old pilots, bold pilots, bold old pilots, but no old bold pilots.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Cometborne wrote:There are old pilots, bold pilots, bold old pilots, but no old bold pilots.

Yeah - not many dumb one either.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:49 pm

I beg to differ on that....

I wing with one......Or two........Or mebee 3......

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Return to “General Discussion”