Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
b00st3d
Novice
Novice
CMDR: b00st3d
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

NPC blocking my landing

Postby b00st3d » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:34 am

I was having a lot of trouble getting my Anaconda landed. It didn't seem to want to go all the way down to the pad, so I looked at my cameras and saw this. Guess the landing computer wasn't much help here.

X3N0D3ATH
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: X3N0D3ATH
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: NPC blocking my landing

Postby X3N0D3ATH » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:37 am

I walked away from a docking computer (terrible idea I know) but the game assigned me to a pad with a fully docked npc beluga on it. My computer humped it until I was down to 28% on my anaconda. I'm glad I came back when I did.

Three weeks later I was in a xbox party and told the story not 5 minutes later someone else had the same scenario

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:14 am

X3N0D3ATH wrote:I walked away from a docking computer (terrible idea I know) but the game assigned me to a pad with a fully docked npc beluga on it. My computer humped it until I was down to 28% on my anaconda. I'm glad I came back when I did.

Three weeks later I was in a xbox party and told the story not 5 minutes later someone else had the same scenario

Is a docking computer a good thing to have with a big ship like the Anaconda?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

X3N0D3ATH
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby X3N0D3ATH » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:47 am

The docking computer is a 50/50 chance to dock or murder you. It makes docking easier if you get through the slot manually then let the computer dock it makes the process easier, for some reason in my cutter 75% of the time it lines up the slot perfectly then dives below the cage and rams the station. But otherwise landings are mostly flawless and usually no "g-shock" from gravity landings (I've had some nasty gravity landings).

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:26 am

X3N0D3ATH wrote:The docking computer is a 50/50 chance to dock or murder you. It makes docking easier if you get through the slot manually then let the computer dock it makes the process easier, for some reason in my cutter 75% of the time it lines up the slot perfectly then dives below the cage and rams the station. But otherwise landings are mostly flawless and usually no "g-shock" from gravity landings (I've had some nasty gravity landings).

So going AFK and trusting the docking computer is out of the question.
Thanks CMDR o7

//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:35 am

It seems to dive below a good 25% of the time when its docking my Beluga and has to reverse, but its never actually hit the station. The bit I find funny about the docking computers are a few stations say that they are 'taking you in'. So this leads you to believe that they are controlling the docking computer. But when it screws up and causes an incidence as it did once for me with another ship. I still got the blame and the fine. :roll:

I remember when they introduced the docking computer and it was comical and often very slow. However after my long illness break, when I came back to the game after it had gone live, they really are so much quicker than I am at docking (most of the time).

X3N0D3ATH
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby X3N0D3ATH » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:40 am

Orochimaru wrote:So going AFK and trusting the docking computer is out of the question.
Thanks CMDR o7

Out of the question? No ill advised in larger ships yes. Get it through the slot then let the computer take over, less risk that way.

b00st3d
Novice
Novice
CMDR: b00st3d

Postby b00st3d » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:23 pm

I never give the docking computer full control in the anaconda. I fly through the slot since that is the hard part and where you will run into traffic. After I'm inside, I'll let it take over to find my port. I'm not going to let the computer fly my 300M ship in tight spaces without supervision.

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall

Postby Jeffers2112 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:56 am

I used a docking computer with my 'Conda, never bothered with one in smaller ships. It got it right most of the time, although I'd always keep an eye on it....

Return to “General Discussion”