Sometimes this games makes me chuckle…… and a question.

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Sometimes this games makes me chuckle…… and a question.

Postby DarkMere » Sun May 28, 2017 8:42 am

I have just relocated my home station, so I figured a quick way to rep up with the local factions would be to take some +++ rep passenger missions, irrespective of other rewards. However one such mission was paying just over 3 mill for a one hop mission, so I grabbed it. Now I did not really want a mission where the client wanted to be secretive and not be scanned, but that was totally my fault for not reading properly, but at 5am in the morning not all of my brain cells are active.

So off we go and we just arrive at the destination when ping, incoming message, she wants to go and look at a local visitor sight for 100k. Ok no problem I am in this for the rep, so off I go. We arrive at the visitor beacon, scan it and jump back into her destination system. Ping. Some bad guys are after her, please take them out for an optional x amount of credits each. Well it’s a good job that’s optional because the only way I am going to take them out is to ram them to death, and somehow I think their shields will be stronger than mine. Besides one of my stacked passengers does not react well to danger and will become unhappy if I take hull damage……….. in fact I think it’s her! Lol

We just start to throttle down for the station when I get interdicted. I submit and escape, but as soon as I dropped out of FSD they scanned me. We almost reach the station just a second or two before I drop out of FSD when I get interdicted again. Same routine and of course I get scanned. Ping. Commander we have been scanned, this is intolerable, take me to the nearest station and I will get a competent commander to take me. It’s only a game, but some very short words pass my lips as I arrive at the nearest station which is of course her destination. Ping. Although you have completed your mission, blah blah blah. In short, no payment and take a rep hit :)

It did have me chuckling as we know the game is not perfect and some things just make it look silly, but the question. Even if I had been aware at the start of the mission that she did not want to be scanned, how could I have avoided it?

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Re: Sometimes this games makes me chuckle…… and a question.

Postby Xebeth » Sun May 28, 2017 8:49 am

Heat sinks, as soon as you hear the "scan detected" message, pop a heat sink and it'll break the scan.

I carry heat sinks on all my passenger ships for this very reason.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Sun May 28, 2017 8:53 am

Ah thank you commander. I do remember JohnLuke telling me about heat sinks a while back. Next on my shopping list :)

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Orochimaru » Sun May 28, 2017 8:59 am

DarkMere wrote:I have just relocated my home station, so I figured a quick way to rep up with the local factions would be to take some +++ rep passenger missions, irrespective of other rewards. However one such mission was paying just over 3 mill for a one hop mission, so I grabbed it. Now I did not really want a mission where the client wanted to be secretive and not be scanned, but that was totally my fault for not reading properly, but at 5am in the morning not all of my brain cells are active.

Ha! I am just like that, just take the money and who cares about reading the missing text ... Then surprise!

Maybe you could have avoided the interdictions and land in silent mode, like a smuggler?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Sun May 28, 2017 9:06 am

Deploying hard points and blowing the NPC into dust bunnies works as well. Alternatively, high-wake to another system to get rid of the NPC. Or run really fast, the maximum range of a manifest scanner is 4 km.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun May 28, 2017 9:09 am

DarkMere wrote:Ah thank you commander. I do remember JohnLuke telling me about heat sinks a while back. Next on my shopping list :)

Man.... you try to teach a guy something, and look at what happens. :roll:

Lesson learned, I'm sure. :lol:

Xebeth is right, popping a heat sink will stop the scan. Short of that, you could have utilized silent running mode but then you're running without shields for a while. Much riskier than just having a couple of heat sinks on board and an itchy 'deploy' finger.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Sun May 28, 2017 9:12 am

Cometborne wrote:Deploying hard points and blowing the NPC into dust bunnies works as well.

Kinda difficult when you don't carry weapons :) Also I was scanned while waiting for the FSD to recharge so it would have happened even if I had been locked onto another system

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Sun May 28, 2017 9:34 am

DarkMere wrote:
Cometborne wrote:Deploying hard points and blowing the NPC into dust bunnies works as well.

Kinda difficult when you don't carry weapons :)

The solution to this problem should be obvious ;)

Also I was scanned while waiting for the FSD to recharge so it would have happened even if I had been locked onto another system

You mentioned that you were interdicted twice. If you low-wake after an interdiction, the NPC will come after you again. If you high-wake, normal (random) NPCs will be gone. Mission-specific NPCs will follow you, though.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Sun May 28, 2017 10:07 am

Only sissies carry weapons 8-)

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Pam Demonium

Postby Pam Demonium » Sun May 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Got no use for them, weapons just slow you down.

Or you can get a cool, crazy paint job to scare them away......

A few dead bodies works well too

Return to “General Discussion”