Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

E:D is ruthless and unforgiving

Postby Orochimaru » Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

You can see by the post title than last night's gaming session did not go well. I ended with a bounty in my head and lost 600kCr.
Bollocks!

This game is unforgiving because it's so darn easy to fail and easy to die.

You do not plan you mission well...you fail.
You are too trigger happy...you die.
You are too tired to read all the mission details...you fail, and die.

E:D constantly keeps me focused and think about the consequences of my actions. It's a bit like life.

Oh well, it's just a game and a very good one.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

GreenViper
Master
Master
CMDR: GreenViper
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: E:D is ruthless and unforgiving

Postby GreenViper » Fri May 26, 2017 6:59 am

It helps indeed to be holding off on the trigger till you're sure.
I don't do much pew pew myself, more into trading and exploration but that might always take a swing.

Even at the missionboard... some time ago I took a mission... from the galaxy map all looked OK until I was closing in and got some trouble finding connections to the destination... it keeps us on our toes and just clicking accept on a good paying 2000 ly passenger mission gets me into investigative mode first ;-)
- Cmdr GreenViper -

Forum moderator
MCRN Squadron Commander & Council member

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Fri May 26, 2017 7:00 am

But it does get easier. Its a bit like driving a car, if you fail to check your right hand mirror before turning right you might find yourself in a heap of trouble, but in time you do not even think about it, as you do all such stuff automatically.

You know I used to get upset if I lost a ship, its only a game but believe me I used to get seriously ticked off about it. I have not lost a ship for ages but even if I did now it would not bother me any more. I still find situations where I find the game frustrating, but what's the worst that can happen, you lose a ship or you lose some credits, and 600K credits you can make back in 15 minutes.

Yes I agree with you, its just a game and a very good one. :)

Loki12345
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Loki12345 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:21 am

Yeah, Elite can be really unforgiving, but that is part of the fun.
My last horror-day was about monday or so. Jumped to Maia with my ol' Python to get some meta-alloys because i really need to boost my FSD a little bit. Got everything, head back and while fuel scooping my cargo hatch had a mailfunction due to overheating with the result that i lost the alloy. Did not realize that until i finaly reached the engineer just to see that i have nothing in my cargo...arrrrgh!!
Frustrated i switched to my asp to go a little exploring, find an interesting landable planet. Head down and realized about 500 m above the ground that this beast has a gravitiy of about 5g! No chance for me, crashed into the ground.
Now i am almost broke and need to get some money :D

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Fri May 26, 2017 8:42 am

Loki12345 wrote:Yeah, Elite can be really unforgiving, but that is part of the fun.
My last horror-day was about monday or so. Jumped to Maia with my ol' Python to get some meta-alloys because i really need to boost my FSD a little bit. Got everything, head back and while fuel scooping my cargo hatch had a mailfunction due to overheating with the result that i lost the alloy. Did not realize that until i finaly reached the engineer just to see that i have nothing in my cargo...arrrrgh!!
Frustrated i switched to my asp to go a little exploring, find an interesting landable planet. Head down and realized about 500 m above the ground that this beast has a gravitiy of about 5g! No chance for me, crashed into the ground.
Now i am almost broke and need to get some money :D

You start a mission, something goes wrong and you fail.
You think: "ok, let's try something different, then you fail again" :D :D :D
It's like playing arcade games and dying over and over in the same screen - frustrating.

Still, I need to improve my game and pay attention to detail.
E:D is not for casual gaming. For that I have Torchlight II and other arcade-like games.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Fri May 26, 2017 8:50 am

DarkMere wrote:But it does get easier. Its a bit like driving a car, if you fail to check your right hand mirror before turning right you might find yourself in a heap of trouble, but in time you do not even think about it, as you do all such stuff automatically.

Absolutely.
You grow so confidernt that you expect the mission with go your way, just like many others before. You begin to do things automatically, like a robot, then something changes, and you are not focused and aware and fail.
Brilliant!

PS: Frustration is a good feeling to get out of a game - when you overcome your difficulties and become a better gamer, you have achieved something and can be proud of it.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Fri May 26, 2017 8:54 am

GreenViper wrote:It helps indeed to be holding off on the trigger till you're sure.
I don't do much pew pew myself, more into trading and exploration but that might always take a swing.

I do like to go heavy on the trigger ;)
But this is not Wing Commander or Tie Fighter. It's bigger and your actions do have consequences.

Still, last play session was not all bad.
I got jumped by a wing of 3 pirates and blasted them to space dust, and took down my first FDL. :evil:

Loki12345
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Loki12345 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:28 am

Congrats Orochimaru! Still have my problems with FDL, even in my python. Maybe i am not a good combat pilot after all :-)

What i really like about this game is that it feels so great. Yes, could be more to interact with, but even just flying from point a to b is so satisfying.

And the beginning can be brutal. Starting in your small sidewinder and beeing attacked...panicmode! First time flying through the mailslot of a station, man, adrenalin kicks in! These moments are great, even if you fail. But the moment you master this is so fantastic :-D

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Fri May 26, 2017 11:53 am

Orochimaru wrote:I got jumped by a wing of 3 pirates and blasted them to space dust.......

You coped with three attacking ships at the same time, you are a better combat pilot I. kudos

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Fri May 26, 2017 12:40 pm

DarkMere wrote:
Orochimaru wrote:I got jumped by a wing of 3 pirates and blasted them to space dust.......

You coped with three attacking ships at the same time, you are a better combat pilot I. kudos

Thank you CMDR o7
{moralboost.enable(); }

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”