Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Long old Journey to that last ship.

Postby DarkMere » Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 am

I imagine there comes a point in ED where you have every ship that you want to own, all the equipment that you wish to own, and being financially in such a position where credits become a bit meaningless, and they just keep piling up. I am sure there will be many here who will be able to confirm if that is correct.

If for the sake of argument we call the top of the tree the point where you have everything, and you are just at the point where you are no longer concerned about credits, and the bottom of the tree being a loaned Sidewinder and 1000 credits. I think I am probably about the half way stage. My current assets are half a billion. I own an A rated Cobra Mk III, a D rated AspX, a D rated Orca and an A rated Python, a selection of different pieces of equipment, along with 150,000,000 credits. I will now be selling my Orca and using most of my credits to get a suitable fitted out Beluga Liner. I will then want to keep all the ships I own, and so my next ship will have to be saved for with no, for the want of a better description, no part exchange.

It will be a very long time before my Imperial or Federation ranks rise so much as to allow me to buy a Vette or a Cutter, so my next ship will be an Anaconda. Now I know I might be too cautious, but never buy a ship unless I can also fit it out for the purpose I want, and be left with 2x the insurance cost of my highest value ship, in this case it would be the Conda. From what I can figure out, to buy and fit the Conda as an A rated combat ship will be about 800,000,000 credits, plus 2x the insurance 64,000,000 making a total of 864,000,000 credits. That’s insane lol! That’s almost double my total worth now after all this playing time!

Now let me say I am not complaining, or criticising the game, and in time it will come and I will enjoy the journey, but right now it seems like it’s a lifetime away, so full credit to everyone here who has done it. I take my hat off to you all.

I have wondered a few times. After I buy the Beluga, it’s going to be a VERY long time before I have the pleasure of buying another ship. I wonder if another ship added to the ED range would be a nice idea. Something between the Python and the Conda. Seeing as both of those ships are classed as multipurpose ships, maybe a dedicated combat ship. What do you think? Maybe I will drop a line on the ideas section of ED.

Wonder how long my beard would be if I did not cut it between now and the Conda? :D

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Re: Long old Journey to that last ship.

Postby JohnLuke » Mon May 22, 2017 4:19 pm

A nice stopgap might be to D rate a conda and use it for trade tuns, passenger missions, and trade CG's. Then as you get the money you can transition it to a full combat build.

I'm on my phone so I can't check Coriolis right now, but I'll bet that a nice combat conda build can be had for quite a bit less than $800k.

Just throwing out some ideas to give you a goal between the beluga and full on combat conda.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Mon May 22, 2017 8:24 pm

JohnLuke wrote:... but I'll bet that a nice combat conda build can be had for quite a bit less than $800k.

I think you mean million, but you are right, about 600M for fully A rated with Military armour, 470M without the armour, and that's normal prices, head out to Li Yong-Rui space and you are talking 510M, or less than 400M without armour. Go for simple weapons and be carefully with the shield boosters and you can get away with a B rated power plant and save another 90M, so if you shop around and go without armour initially you could put together a combat conda, that will also carry 242 tons, for around 300M, and about 15M insurance.

DarkMere wrote:I imagine there comes a point in ED where you have every ship that you want to own, all the equipment that you wish to own, and being financially in such a position where credits become a bit meaningless, and they just keep piling up. I am sure there will be many here who will be able to confirm if that is correct...

You are right, after a while the credits are just away to keep score, but something odd also happens (or at least for me), the big ships start to loose their fascination, I've got the big 3, plus a bunch of medium ships, however at the moment I'm flying around in a Diamondback Ex, and of the dozen ships I have the my Python probably sees the most action. The big ships are great and all, but like the saying goes "when there are always cookies in the jar, you no longer want cookies".
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon May 22, 2017 9:04 pm

Xebeth wrote: but something odd also happens (or at least for me), the big ships start to loose their fascination,

I'm lucky.....Never had a fascination in the first place.......

Not at all bothered about getting a big ship......Don't like em.....

Gimme a Python and an Asp anyday......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Orochimaru » Tue May 23, 2017 5:01 am

The dread of end game. That is what makes me stop playing an MMO.

The stage when you have the Legendary Fist Age Bow and can throw Fire Balls and build Wall of Fire spending little to no mana.
The stage where you repeat the same raids and instances, over and over just to see if you can loot something better.
Life become void of reason ... PAIN! :) I digress :)

I like to take the path to the latest and greatest, as slow as possible and enjoy the journey.
When I am bored with a game, I play another non-MMO game and then return full of ideas and enthusiasm.

A good quote from Lao Tzu: "a good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving"
(I know this is a bit too much and now is the time to stop writing this post.)
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Tue May 23, 2017 7:59 am

Good points commanders and you are right. I do not have to take the Conda into battle unless I want to, so yes. I will buy one earlier than planned and use it to generate more income.

Orochimaru wrote:The dread of end game. That is what makes me stop playing an MMO.

I understand your point and to some degree I agree with you. However trying very hard not to sound like one of the knights of the round table about to go off on the quest to find the holy grail. For me, throwing my lot in with OOM and having a community goal to play for and not just my own goals, seems to have taken away the 'no point any more' feeling. There seems to be people here who have gone past the End Game long ago, but seem to be as enthusiastic as ever.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Tue May 23, 2017 8:13 am

DarkMere wrote:Good points commanders and you are right. I do not have to take the Conda into battle unless I want to, so yes. I will buy one earlier than planned and use it to generate more income.

Orochimaru wrote:The dread of end game. That is what makes me stop playing an MMO.

I understand your point and to some degree I agree with you. However trying very hard not to sound like one of the knights of the round table about to go off on the quest to find the holy grail. For me, throwing my lot in with OOM and having a community goal to play for and not just my own goals, seems to have taken away the 'no point any more' feeling. There seems to be people here who have gone past the End Game long ago, but seem to be as enthusiastic as ever.

Just like marriage, you fight to keep the old flame alive

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Tue May 23, 2017 8:28 am

Some marriages are very good :)

Daniel Dakota
Expert
Expert
CMDR: DanDak

Postby Daniel Dakota » Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 am

I used a low rated Conda with 432 ton cargo space to hit the billion, then threw it back, got back in the Asp and toddled off away from the bubble for a wee while :)

Still looking for a Kebab world that also sells currywurst and beer and hookers and and and er weed :) oh, and it has to be ringed and untagged ^^

Have fun on the journey <--- the only bit that counts

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Tue May 23, 2017 8:51 am

DarkMere wrote:Some marriages are very good :)

I second that CMDR.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”