Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: PROPER SALUTING <O

Postby Lanceor » Mon May 15, 2017 5:04 am

There's no "right" way to write an emoticon, just as there's no "right" way to smile. At the end of the day, an emoticon is just a shorthand way of conveying body language, and if the recipient understands it, then it's doing its job.

It has been brought up that "o7" looks like s a left hand salute from someone with a disproportionately short forearm, or perhaps someone sniffing their own armpit. But we'll go crazy if with start insisting that emoticons be anatomically correct e.g. we don't tilt our heads 90° to the side when we smile - :).

Just for the record, I thought <O was a person with a dunce hat when I first saw it.
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby uvelius » Mon May 15, 2017 7:11 am

^,^/

Fuel Rat's Salute. The ONLY Salute there is or ever will be. It is known, Khaleeci. It is known.
Yes, more like a left-hand wave, in fact. That's Rats for you. Never standing straight the bastards. *snicker*

Capricos
Novice
Novice

Postby Capricos » Mon May 15, 2017 8:31 am

Okay. So, for starters... People aren't looking at the back of your head when you are talking to them. Nor, are they looking down at you from the top of your head.
Is your portrait when you enter text into the chat box a portrait of the back of your head, or looking down on your head? The o or O or is a simpler form of that portrait.
I have always taken it that the person that is talking to me... is looking at me. Therefore, when I talk to them, I communicate as they are looking at me... i.e.... as the portrait is currently set up in chat boxes. When they see my chat it is as though they are looking at me. Facing them. What you are projecting out thinking it's the "from behind the head" perspective means you are turning around and saluting a person with your back to them. Because that is what the person you are communicating to sees. Pretty ridiculous or insulting.
Therefore, unless you are saluting yourself above your head in the mirror, or saluting someone beneath you... o7 is a left-handed salute above your head.
As a retired Army NCO, it does, in fact, irk me that people can't take two seconds to salute properly. Even if you think the arms are reversed... O>. Stop saluting above your head. I don't think I need to remind anyone who in history liked saluting above their heads.
It's a simple fix. However, it would seem our current political climate makes it okay to be wrong, not care about it, and then blame the people correcting you. And, of course, making it personal.
Okay. However, again... it's not even CLOSE to the perspective of looking down from above. That's ridiculous. Very ridiculous. So, <O or O> if you feel strongly about your perspective. However, again... o7 is saluting above your head... like a certain very intolerant people in somewhat recent history.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Mon May 15, 2017 8:34 am

Sometimes I want to salute with fingers only Vm
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Cmdr Darkminded
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Darkminded

Re: PROPER SALUTING

Postby Cmdr Darkminded » Mon May 15, 2017 10:02 am

Capricos wrote:Okay. So, for starters... People aren't looking at the back of your head when you are talking to them. Nor, are they looking down at you from the top of your head.
Is your portrait when you enter text into the chat box a portrait of the back of your head, or looking down on your head? The o or O or is a simpler form of that portrait.
I have always taken it that the person that is talking to me... is looking at me. Therefore, when I talk to them, I communicate as they are looking at me... i.e.... as the portrait is currently set up in chat boxes. When they see my chat it is as though they are looking at me. Facing them. What you are projecting out thinking it's the "from behind the head" perspective means you are turning around and saluting a person with your back to them. Because that is what the person you are communicating to sees. Pretty ridiculous or insulting.
Therefore, unless you are saluting yourself above your head in the mirror, or saluting someone beneath you... o7 is a left-handed salute above your head.
As a retired Army NCO, it does, in fact, irk me that people can't take two seconds to salute properly. Even if you think the arms are reversed... O>. Stop saluting above your head. I don't think I need to remind anyone who in history liked saluting above their heads.
It's a simple fix. However, it would seem our current political climate makes it okay to be wrong, not care about it, and then blame the people correcting you. And, of course, making it personal.
Okay. However, again... it's not even CLOSE to the perspective of looking down from above. That's ridiculous. Very ridiculous. So, <O or O> if you feel strongly about your perspective. However, again... o7 is saluting above your head... like a certain very intolerant people in somewhat recent history.

Actually the nazis would salute like this o/ or \o "depending on the perspective" so who is to say that in 1300 year o7 is not the way to respectifuly greet someone!

Enviado do meu D2403 através de Tapatalk
Viscount Darkminded, Diplomat of the Empire, Preceptor of The White Templars

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon May 15, 2017 10:11 am

I repeat the sentiment:

Chill the fuck out Francis.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Mon May 15, 2017 11:27 am

while more accurate can you really imagine the station announcers saying 'greater than oh cmdr' in place of 'oh seven cmdr'?
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

Hengest
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Hengest

Postby Hengest » Mon May 15, 2017 2:03 pm

It's a game....

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Mon May 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Hengest wrote:It's a game....

I can't believe you said that. It can't be just a game as I've spent more time playing it over the last couple of years than I have speaking to my children!

Oh shit, that might be true.......
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon May 15, 2017 3:00 pm

AndyB wrote:while more accurate can you really imagine the station announcers saying 'greater than oh cmdr' in place of 'oh seven cmdr'?

They shouldn't say either.

It's even Lamer than spelling out LOL , OMG , YOLO in everyday conversation.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “General Discussion”