John Tenzer
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Gunnar Hagedorn
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: I hate and I mean HATE engineers

Postby John Tenzer » Tue May 09, 2017 1:22 pm

DarkMere wrote:
John Tenzer wrote:I think we tend to become less grinding animals between the age of 30 and mid 60's :)

Probably.

"Everything comes to he who waits... and I have waited so very long for this moment." I waited for 14 years for ELITE IV to happen, so why rush it now?

Granted after I started this February I put quite some force and work into getting the ship and A-grade of its modules within a comperatitively small timeframe, including grinding for Imperial Hammers,the FSD Farseer Mk. IV, and a Community Goal.

But now, that I had finished testing these new entertainment options and achieved the lowely goals I had, I've turned down some notches and started playing just for recreations sake. Just chillin', one pace at a time!

I have "only" a fully equipped (Farseer Grade IV) 34 LY ASPEx as my main ride at hand (aside of a Cobra Mk.III, IEagle and Dolphin), and wonder where all the 45+LY ASPExes come from.

I am totally happy with mine, as it brings me to anywhere I want to be and it was my main goal to get in this game.

Anything else is considered a bonus on top of that and it'll come to me. In time...! 8-)

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby DarkMere » Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm

I think your outlook is spot on John Tenzer!

I also have a Cobra MkIII. I had to keep it, after all I have had one since 1985 :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 09, 2017 3:40 pm

John Tenzer wrote:
DarkMere wrote:
John Tenzer wrote:I think we tend to become less grinding animals between the age of 30 and mid 60's :)

Probably.

"Everything comes to he who waits... and I have waited so very long for this moment." I waited for 14 years for ELITE IV to happen, so why rush it now?

Granted after I started this February I put quite some force and work into getting the ship and A-grade of its modules within a comperatitively small timeframe, including grinding for Imperial Hammers,the FSD Farseer Mk. IV, and a Community Goal.

But now, that I had finished testing these new entertainment options and achieved the lowely goals I had, I've turned down some notches and started playing just for recreations sake. Just chillin', one pace at a time!

I have "only" a fully equipped (Farseer Grade IV) 34 LY ASPEx as my main ride at hand (aside of a Cobra Mk.III, IEagle and Dolphin), and wonder where all the 45+LY ASPExes come from.

I am totally happy with mine, as it brings me to anywhere I want to be and it was my main goal to get in this game.

Anything else is considered a bonus on top of that and it'll come to me. In time...! 8-)

Those 45+ ly aspx's are lightened builds, as in tiny shields, no guns, D rated or lower class modules.
If for instance you go exploring you can get away with a class 2a power plant, and turn modules off as you don't need more than thrusters, fsd and fuel scoop to travel.

With a really good lvl 5 roll fsd, I think I have gotten mine to about 40ly with guns and decent thrusters. Still not what I would consider 'combat ready'.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 09, 2017 3:48 pm

As for my vulture I put grade 5 fsd upgrade, dirty 3, then over to chung for shields thermal resit 5 on bi-weave.

Then realised my power plant was way overused, so I pottered over and put overcharge 5 it.
Now I have plenty power.

Then as a piece de resistance. Off to Broo Tarquin and put rapid fire 5 on the pulse lasers.
I also think I put weapons focused power distributor on there as well.

It can get a little toasty but usually do OK.

This was all done on a lazy Sunday afternoon since I had nothing better to do, and only used mats in possession.
I just run missions as normal with theither A-team that often give you some stuff, and if I see random shiny's I grab them.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Cmdr Chemtrail
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Brassik

Postby Cmdr Chemtrail » Tue May 09, 2017 4:09 pm

At the momentI dont really find them that important to my gaming time. I did get to lvl 5 FSD but that is for my Asp Ex . It jumps just over 45 ly, but i really have no idea if that was a good roll or not.

Neither of my accounts smuggle so I've never visited a black market. I also have far too many other things on my "todo" list in game to actually worry about them at the moment.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Tue May 09, 2017 5:00 pm

No need to grind if you don't want to......

I just flit about here and there doing stuff....Missions......Wing up..... Haz res......

I'm in no great hurry to get Elite in anything...I just potter around......Picking up shit here and there.....

Mind you I am in the good position of being in the A-Team......(Poorest member :D )

Should any of us need anything we will all wing up and help each other out......

But I'm in no hurry........Not lazy.......Just chilled and having fun...It's a game after all......

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

John Tenzer
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Gunnar Hagedorn

Postby John Tenzer » Tue May 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Honestly, guys, it's nice to hear these kind of voices once in a while, in contrast to the Uberbuild-Must-Have- concoctions that seem to pop up everywhere (in the Frontiers forum or Reddit mostly).

:)

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Tue May 09, 2017 10:19 pm

This has been a great thread to read, and now it's my turn to add my 2 cents worth.

I think a G5 FSD range mod invaluable and is required for any ship in my fleet. It just makes everyday 'life' in the game so much easier.... unless you'r ship never leaves the system it's in. ;)

If you're not doing combat, that's all you really "need" from an engineer, IMO.

If you're flying a combat focused ship, them doing G5 mods on anything and (nearly) everything will make it fly faster, kill faster, sustain more fire, and just be an overall bad ass in the RES or CZ. My battle Vette has 25 G5 modded items on board, yes twenty five. Obviously I spent a lot.... and I mean a LOT of time gathering mats and doing rolls to mod all of those, but it was a fun project for me. Some of my other ships have hand-me-down modded modules on board that I no longer use on the Vette. My Asp, Cutter, and Conda all have G5 FSD, and that's pretty much it. Maybe a few modded shield boosters or PP here and there. The Python is highly modded, since it's my mission runner and engineer mat gatherer for dicey situations. I have a ton of modded modules that I swap in and out of ships for various situations.

I've been playing E-D since it went live. And when I say 'playing' I mean that it's still the only game that I play on a regular basis. I LOVE E-D! Since I've maxed out my combat/trade/exploration ranks as well as Fed and Empire ranks, there wasn't much of an in-game goal left for me to pursue. Engineering filled that void for a looooong time. I worked on gathering goodies for a couple of recipes at a time, so that the grind didn't become too real. (Ya gotta mix up the game play, right?) Anyway.... I did a ton of engineering because I've done pretty much everything else in the game and still wanted to have a goal for my game play.

With that said, if you are working toward a ship, certain rank, or whatever.... I wouldn't put too much emphasis on engineering other than a G5 FSD. If you find yourself wondering what to do when you log into E-D, then by all means take a look at what you might want to engineer and go get yourself the mats to make it so.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 09, 2017 10:35 pm

JohnLuke wrote: If you find yourself wondering what to do when you log into E-D, then by all means take a look at what you might want to engineer and go get yourself the mats to make it so.

Or better yet, use ED Engineer.
https://github.com/msarilar/EDEngineer
A thread here:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... n-realtime
It read your journal and now after 2.3 has dropped you don't have to fill in your current stock either.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 pm

TorTorden wrote:Or better yet, use ED Engineer.

I couldn't agree more. It's a fantastic app.

I wish it had been around a year or so ago..... or if it was, I didn't know about it then.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “General Discussion”