Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Shiny New Python

Postby DarkMere » Sun May 07, 2017 9:45 am

Finally decided the time was right to buy my Python, and the people who said I could have done it sooner proved to be right as I only sold one of my ships, my FAS and after A rating the Python I still have over 80 mill, so the fate of my AspX hangs in the balance as to if I sell it.

The main point of the post is I decided to put 3 large beam lasers and 2 class 2 cannons as I seem to have loads of spare energy, of course in the few scraps I have got myself into it does not take long to reach critical heat. So I am thinking of changing to 3 pulse lasers or or swap around and have two class 2 beam lasers and 3 large cannons. However I hate to see that wasted energy that I could be using. How do Python owners here have their weapons set up?

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Shiny New Python

Postby blazingmaniac » Sun May 07, 2017 9:51 am

I run 2 class 3 g5 efficient beams which I can fire continuously and 1 class 3 multi cannon + 2 class 2 multi all with corrosive shell and the larger magazine mods.
As an alternative you could always put a PA on the front class 3 slot as long as you are proficient I hitting things with it :) personally I prefer weapons with maximum on target and firing time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sun May 07, 2017 10:33 am

Congratulations on your new ship, the Python is a damn fine vessel.

I've got a couple of Class 2 beams, and the Class 3 are all multis, but then my Python is used for missions where any interdictions tend to be from less challenging foes.

As for the AspX, I'd keep her, the Python (even engineered) doesn't have the best jump range, so if you want to do anything that involves a lot of travelling (exploration, passenger tourists, visiting megaships, etc...) then the Asp is the better bet.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun May 07, 2017 10:39 am

If the beams aren't engineered, yup.... it's gonna get hot in there. :cry:

There are tons of successful loadouts for a Python. You may want to try 3 large pulse, and 2 med multi-cannons. (I don't like regular cannons, and multi-cannons rock!) Or you could run 2 pulse (or 2 beams) and the rest MC's.

I have two efficient beams with 3 M/C's on my mission runner Python. The M/C's are over-changed (rapid fire is just as good) and one with corrosive. The effect does not stack from what I understand and running the effect on more than one weapon just costs you DPS.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Sun May 07, 2017 11:20 am

My mission python is the same as JohnLuke's: Dual medium beams, G5 efficient, regeneration and concordant as effects. Triple large MC, G5 overcharged, two incendiary, one corrosive. The incendiary mod will drive the heat up into the mid-80s when you fire everything at once, but your target will have a worse day.

With the power saved by using medium instead of large beams, you can afford A-rated shield boosters on all utility mounts.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Sun May 07, 2017 11:23 am

Xebeth wrote:As for the AspX, I'd keep her, the Python (even engineered) doesn't have the best jump range, so if you want to do anything that involves a lot of travelling (exploration, passenger tourists, visiting megaships, etc...) then the Asp is the better bet.

I do agree with you by and large, but maybe I should have mentioned that I do have a Orca fitted for passengers missions and a DBX fitted for long range deep space. I also have a Cobra MkIII but that's not up for grabs as I keep that for sentimental reasons :)

Do you think the AspX could still find a role in my set up, if so I will keep it

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sun May 07, 2017 11:36 am

DarkMere wrote:
Xebeth wrote:As for the AspX, I'd keep her, the Python (even engineered) doesn't have the best jump range, so if you want to do anything that involves a lot of travelling (exploration, passenger tourists, visiting megaships, etc...) then the Asp is the better bet.

I do agree with you by and large, but maybe I should have mentioned that I do have a Orca fitted for passengers missions and a DBX fitted for long range deep space. I also have a Cobra MkIII but that's not up for grabs as I keep that for sentimental reasons :)

Do you think the AspX could still find a role in my set up, if so I will keep it

Well I guess you'd still get a greater range with the AspX for tourist missions than the Orca, but then you could use the DBX for that, before they buffed the DBX the Asp was the better bet, but now not so much.

Unless you are going to do a really long exploration (where you may need the extra AFMUs that the AspX allows you to carry), then probably you don't need it. You could of course cover it in spikes and become a pirate ;).

Personal preference, I've always liked the AspX, so the questions I guess are do you like it, will you use it, do you need the money for something else?
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Sun May 07, 2017 12:02 pm

The DBX has the problem of a class 5 FSD that needs 5 tons of fuel per jump, but can only use a class 4A fuel scoop delivering 342 kg of fuel per second. This means that you need at least 14.6 seconds per jump to refuel under optimal condition. Since it takes a while until the scoop reaches the maximum rate, 20-25 seconds is more realistic.

The AspX has the same class 5 FSD, but can use a 6A fuel scoop delivering 878 kg of fuel per second. This translates into 5.7 seconds to refuel per jump under optimal conditions, realistically 10 seconds. Since the FSD cooldown time is also 10 seconds, the AspX is refuelled and ready to jump again as soon as the FSD is cooled down, while the DBX needs to spend another 10 seconds to re-fuel.

10 seconds does not sound like a lot, but on a long journey, it adds up, and it is annoying as hell. Especially if you hit a non-scoopable star or two in a row.

I have both an AspX and a DBX, and they have a different roles: The DBX is a bubble taxi that is cheap to ship. With some engineering and extra fuel tanks, it can do 800 LY without refuelling: Gluteus Maximus

For deep space work, I use an AspX with a maximum rate fuel scoop: Yellow Cowflop
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun May 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Cometborne wrote:The DBX has the problem of a class 5 FSD that needs 5 tons of fuel per jump, but can only use a class 4A fuel scoop delivering 342 kg of fuel per second. This means that you need at least 14.6 seconds per jump to refuel under optimal condition. Since it takes a while until the scoop reaches the maximum rate, 20-25 seconds is more realistic.

The AspX has the same class 5 FSD, but can use a 6A fuel scoop delivering 878 kg of fuel per second. This translates into 5.7 seconds to refuel per jump under optimal conditions, realistically 10 seconds. Since the FSD cooldown time is also 10 seconds, the AspX is refuelled and ready to jump again as soon as the FSD is cooled down, while the DBX needs to spend another 10 seconds to re-fuel.

10 seconds does not sound like a lot, but on a long journey, it adds up, and it is annoying as hell. Especially if you hit a non-scoopable star or two in a row.

I have both an AspX and a DBX, and they have a different roles: The DBX is a bubble taxi that is cheap to ship. With some engineering and extra fuel tanks, it can do 800 LY without refuelling: Gluteus Maximus

For deep space work, I use an AspX with a maximum rate fuel scoop: Yellow Cowflop

Hence why on an in bubble DBX, I don't use a scoop but a class 4 fuel tank.
Gives about 500ly range and you can just burn to destination as fast as the FSD cooldown allow.

But then again, I don't really use the dbx much at all since if I'm going somewhere I'd be looking to do something and you can hardly do anything with a range fitted dbx.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun May 07, 2017 6:51 pm

2 x 2D beams (G) - Efficient Level 3 with Regen......

2 x 3C Multis (G) - Rapid Fire Level 5......With Corrosive and Incendiary.......

1 x 3B Plasma (F) - Overcharged Level 1.......Phasing sequence.....

Seems to blow shit up for me........

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Return to “General Discussion”