Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Daemonhunter
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Daemonhunter Kees
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Exploring suggestions

Postby Daemonhunter » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:21 am

I recently read an interesting post where the OP suggested they best way to explore was to filter the star map to only show KGBFOAM stars, and to use the economical route. I gather his reasoning was that the first criteria means you will always land at a star that is scoopable AND you are more likely to fine earth like and water planets around these stars, and the second criteria meant that you actually explored way more systems than if you had selected the fastest route.

As an experiment I tested this idea out on a short trip from Exioce to Maia (needed some Meta Alloy). By setting my route using these parameters I made 73 jumps. I scanned the full system, the main star and any planet under 1000ls (approx). I made about 3.5m credits which isn't bad - but it was 73 jumps!! In comparison my trip back (fastest route) was 16 jumps.

So I suppose I'm wondering what other explorers do. Once you are way outside the bubble do you visit as many systems as possible, or do you select a particular place far way (1000's of LY) and just pick up what ever exploration data you come across.

All thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Re: Exploring suggestions

Postby Relix Typhon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:49 am

I'm not an Explorer, unfortunately. I got 1000LY outside the bubble ones and was bored to tears.

Having said that, after the action packed planning of the event actually doing the event, a little jaunt into the black would make a nice change.
There's an asteroid Base around 5000LY "south" of the bubble that I'm considering going to, this will also get the first of Palin's requirements out of the way for me.

I won't use KBGFOAM though, just keep an eye on file levels.

atraangelis
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Caylus Harken

Postby atraangelis » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:47 pm

I explore..
So my prefers way is to find an interesting cluster of stars, currently about 2-3k lay from my origin point.. I fast travel using all available stars no filter.. I got a 36ly jump asp ex..

Once I arrive.. I start a slow methodical search of systems above and below the plane... I stay out for about a month.. my last haul netted me 23mil..

What I really look for when I'm out are planets with over 15 - 20 % of really rare minerals or metals for lvl 3 synth or engineers.

mia389
Competent
Competent
CMDR: !Smokey

Postby mia389 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:39 pm

I use method in first post. I get out of bubble a couple thousand light years. Usually travel off plane and set filter to the good stars and start poking around.

Yesterday I was traveling in bubble and set route filter to economy none and population to none. I set course to a generation ship and had route on economy. I found two undiscovered systems! Some systems were discovered but had planets that were not. I was a bit surprised. Was kind of fun exploring in a Beluga.

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby DarkMere » Sun May 07, 2017 5:23 am

Maybe I have been lucky, but I leave my settings as the fastest route with no filters for the stars, and I just try to pick as straight a line as I can away from my starting point. Once I am at least 1000 ly out I just mess about scanning planets. That said about being lucky. I do scoop at every single scoop-able star I come across. If this is certain to find me stranded somewhere I will change my habits :)

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JustSomeGuy » Sun May 07, 2017 5:43 am

You don't really run out of places to explore even if you use fast travel. But then again you'll never know what you have missed while not using eco route. :)
KGBFOAM use depends on ship for me.. When I went to Colonia in an unengineered Sidewinder, I used KGBFOAM. If I go with 40-something LY AspX I put the filter differently, still not necessarily all types.. depends on the mood and the FSD radiation leak levels.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Return to “General Discussion”