Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: No offence to anyone, but....

Postby Loriath » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 am

Jeffers2112 wrote:I tested this FPS thing yesterday.
In Solo - 60+
In Open - 60+
In PG Mobius - 18
What's going on here? I presume people have raised tickets for this? Shall I add another?
So I guess I'm playing Solo for a while, don't really want to dump my friends list, and anyway I've got hundreds, it would take ages.
I don't necessarily chat with many of them, so I wouldn't really be losing much, but it's nice to those green ships dotted about the Galaxy.

Here... https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ate-Killer
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:50 am

Jeffers2112 wrote:I tested this FPS thing yesterday.
In Solo - 60+
In Open - 60+
In PG Mobius - 18
What's going on here? I presume people have raised tickets for this? Shall I add another?
So I guess I'm playing Solo for a while, don't really want to dump my friends list, and anyway I've got hundreds, it would take ages.
I don't necessarily chat with many of them, so I wouldn't really be losing much, but it's nice to those green ships dotted about the Galaxy.

The solution so far is to delete most of your friends list.
But as another theory I read on the forums, is this is tied up with friends a great distance away from you, and I can somewhat buy that since this patch adds the distance between you and your friends and that has to be refreshed every time you or one of your 634 closest friends change system.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak

Postby pargyrak » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:21 am

I saw at the Comm panel a contacts tab. I see this is being refreshed every time you go to that tab with the Holo-me pic and info when you have seen the cmdr last
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:53 pm

BTW, this is the FD support position on it: FD Forum comment
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Kiltrathi
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Kiltrathi

Postby Kiltrathi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Apparently FDEV have figured out that we didn't mess up our own setups overnight (page 19 of the long list of people all reporting the same issue).

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/342119-Frame-Rate-Killer/page19

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:57 pm

Cometborne wrote:BTW, this is the FD support position on it: FD Forum comment

Ok, I'm not sure what's going on but get this. I noticed that my fps had suddenly tanked too, from 90s to 30s, so I tried the approach suggested by FD to reinstall Nividia drivers.

It made a total mess of my HMD activation which worked flawlessly before. I uninstalled Geforce experience (which couldn't load in VR mode anyway btw), and everything with the HMD worked again (both via FD and Steam). So far so good.

Took another look at fps. Still in the 30s. What the hell, how can they drop like that over night?!

So I took a second look in the in-game graphics menu, and guess what. Everything had been reset to some obscure ultra settings!.....

I pulled everything down to what I usually play with, only to find that the game is actually performing BETTER than before now. I can pull SS from 0.65 to 0.75 with hmd-q at 2 and still maintain 80s to 90s on planets.

And I still have the huge friends list.

Do me a favour and delete Geforce Experience if you have it, and double check your in-game graphics settings.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:10 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:

UPDATE: My bad. It really is private groups that are effed. The performance increase I'm seeing is while I'm in Open. When I log into Mobius group it tanks.

So the friends list doesn't affect Open mode.

Sad state of affairs indeed. I suppose the only solution is to delete the hundreds of friends I have in Mobius Group (and I really enjoy those little green icons on the galaxy map), or play in Open/Solo until it's fixed.

I can't even imagine the time it would take to delete so many friends one by one..

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:25 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:

Ok, I'm not sure what's going on but get this. I noticed that my fps had suddenly tanked too, from 90s to 30s, so I tried the approach suggested by FD to reinstall Nividia drivers.

It made a total mess

Ouch, my sympathies. I considered the 'advice' from FD support to be pure digestive end product of a not-castrated adult male of the species bos taurus. To put it mildly. And today's statement from Howard Chalkley that they have identified the problem and are working on a fix (with no ETA given last I checked) show that I guessed correctly.

This is not the first time that a bug or bad coding has led to low FPS rates in-game. Anybody who has been to the core region before 2.2 will remember how the route plotter went weezy-weezy-weezy while the FPS dropped to single digit values. And just like then, FDev QA is brushing people off with "old graphics driver", "verify game files", "install windows updates". While the actual problem was a superfluous optimization step in the route plotter.

But I fully agree on getting rid of GeForce Experience. OBS Studio with its replay buffer works just as well for recording, does not require a mandatory log-in to some strange vendor site, and does not have a funny EULA.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:34 pm

Cometborne wrote:...But I fully agree on getting rid of GeForce Experience. OBS Studio with its replay buffer works just as well for recording, does not require a mandatory log-in to some strange vendor site, and does not have a funny EULA.

And it creates problems instead of making things better. :( Good riddens :)

Will check OBS Studio. Thanks.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:21 pm

For me OBS replay buffer has always made OBS crash for some reason. First time I tried it was when it was brand new addition to it, and the second time after a few updates to it. Normal recording has always worked fine. Can't remember if I have tried the replay buffer after I wiped windozer the last time. Still like it more than GFE.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Return to “General Discussion”