evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

SLF's

Postby evovi » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Why can't the Python hold a hangar bay? I'm itching to have a bash with em :(

I can't see me buying a keelback to take into a res site so I can level up a pilot, I don't want to rush into the anaconda world because I absolutely love my Python, she can do anything I ask of it - this leaves the fed gunship, which.. Do I really wanna blow 130mil cr on a ship that can just about jump out of sol without having a panic attack

:( sigh

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Re: SLF's

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:45 pm

If you want to fly the SLF for cheap, get a Keelback, park it at the RES/Nav Beacon and tell the pilot to hold position. Then go pew pew :D

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:08 pm

I've only tried SLFs in betas, and that sucks about the Python! :(

But I have another question. I know crew have names, but are they only ever referred to in the HUD as CMDR ... CREW? Why not use their name? Or is this just a beta thing?
It's time to give this another go.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:17 pm

evovi wrote:Why can't the Python hold a hangar bay? I'm itching to have a bash with em :(

I can't see me buying a keelback to take into a res site so I can level up a pilot, I don't want to rush into the anaconda world because I absolutely love my Python, she can do anything I ask of it - this leaves the fed gunship, which.. Do I really wanna blow 130mil cr on a ship that can just about jump out of sol without having a panic attack

A better question.
Would you spend a 130 mil on a ship that barely if at all outperforms a python, with shields as weak as a cobra and a tendence to soak all damage straight to the cockpit?

Tested an FGS after 2.2, and unless they have boosted the absolute shit out of it since.
Well lets just say I took it into a res for four minutes and came back with a minute and thirty seconds of oxygen.

A minute later it was stripped and punted off to the aether.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

evovi
Master
Master

Postby evovi » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:11 pm

TorTorden wrote:
evovi wrote:Why can't the Python hold a hangar bay? I'm itching to have a bash with em :(

A better question.
Would you spend a 130 mil on a ship that barely if at all outperforms a python, with shields as weak as a cobra and a tendence to soak all damage straight to the cockpit?

Tested an FGS after 2.2, and unless they have boosted the absolute shit out of it since.
Well lets just say I took it into a res for four minutes and came back with a minute and thirty seconds of oxygen.

A minute later it was stripped and punted off to the aether.

So the hull tank ship canopy blows - like the vulture did.... And that takes me back to my gripe about the shield weakening moans of the pvp cmdrs - no ship can be a hull tank... If the canopy is made of rice paper... What's the point - canopy should be triggered to blow around 10% not 80% when there's plenty of fight left - or do they want everyone to have a-rated life support as well?

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:15 pm

Hull tanking hasn't been a 'thing' for a while now, not sure how or when they nerfed it, but FD did something.

The FGS isn't a bad ship, it's just one not to be taken too seriously, I've got mine with nothing but multi-cannons, the SLF has fixed beams, so I send them in first to deal with the shields, then the multis will take down a hull in short order. It's a completely inefficient way to play, but there is something perversely pleasurable about 7 multi-cannons pounding into the hull of your target. If you could get some good engineering done on it (maybe a few of the multis with the mod that turns some of the damage to thermal) it would probably be quite effective, but what it isn't is an attrition fighter, you ether kill stuff quickly or you run away, good for shits 'n' giggles, useless for doing anything properly.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

evovi
Master
Master

Postby evovi » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:19 pm

The good engineering part is the issue with a ship that has a max range of 12ly kitted out - that's painful - now a corvette is worth that pain....

I'll bite the bullet and get the anaconda... I can turn it into an exploraconda rather than anything to interfere with the pythons current role...

I can't get enough of the python - it really is the do it all ship, anyone contemplating getting one - you won't regret it!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:33 pm

Xebeth wrote:Hull tanking hasn't been a 'thing' for a while now, not sure how or when they nerfed it, but FD did something.

The FGS isn't a bad ship, it's just one not to be taken too seriously, I've got mine with nothing but multi-cannons, the SLF has fixed beams, so I send them in first to deal with the shields, then the multis will take down a hull in short order. It's a completely inefficient way to play, but there is something perversely pleasurable about 7 multi-cannons pounding into the hull of your target. If you could get some good engineering done on it (maybe a few of the multis with the mod that turns some of the damage to thermal) it would probably be quite effective, but what it isn't is an attrition fighter, you ether kill stuff quickly or you run away, good for shits 'n' giggles, useless for doing anything properly.

Yeah, this and how it behaves in cruise.
(It basically turns like an eagle or slf in crusie)
Makes me think it would be a brilliant interdictor ship, to bad the jump range is so poor it's almost difficult to get it anywhere.

And honestly you might as well spend the same on an fdl.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Delvin Kaar
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Delvin Kaar

Re: RE: Re: SLF's

Postby Delvin Kaar » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:52 pm

TorTorden wrote:Makes me think it would be a brilliant interdictor ship, to bad the jump range is so poor it's almost difficult to get it anywhere.

And honestly you might as well spend the same on an fdl.

After missing both my FDL and FGS out, both manage around 20ly jump range as does my Vette, and for a combat ship that's satisfactory for me. I keep the Vette down in Apathaam, and the FGS and FDL in NLTT 21088 so I have a combat ship relatively on opposite sides of the bubble. Just take something with a 40+ jump range like the Comes, AspX, or DBE as a ferry between.
My FGS isn't usually taken as a typical combat ship. I modeled mine after Vindicator Jones's surface assault build, which it does fantastically. Deploy the SLF and have it fly cover as I rain shells down on skimmers and base defenses alike,have the fighter dock, and then land if the installation's nodes aren't temporarily locked out. Or just RTB and rake in the cash. Swapped the dummy pod in the class 3 slot for a gimballed cannon for dealing with surface and flying targets alike.
But, if the beta is any indication, the FGS can be a beast in multi-crew. I hopped in CMDR Oziki's which gave me an F63 to fly around in, or take control of some turrets and a pair of seeker pods. And we straight up WRECKED the RES we were in.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:10 pm

I tried the vindicator jones surface assault build, back last year when I went for the cutter.

Absolutely hated it. To slow, Too slidy, far too weak in the shields, and you don't need 6 dumbfire missiles to take out a skimmer.
And the two small beam lasers, to weak to actually deal with the goliath that was spamming seekers at you.

So I realised like most people, Jones was an idiot.
Sure it works, but it works about as well as trying to use a set of imperial wrenches to fix a German car.

Cause there is a perfect dumbfire assault ship, with better hardpoints placements, faster, 3x stronger shields, and instead of two awkwardly placed class 1 points for shield breaker, it has a center mounted class 4 that easily took a class 3 fixed beam, back then we didn't have class 4 energy weapons.
It costs the same, and isn't even rank locked.

You might guess where this is going ?

As for fun boats, I now focus towards my vulture.
Currently it turns well like a vulture and it does 478ms (only got a lvl 3 dd for now)
Put sturdy pulses on it, that boost armor penetration, and got a 20ly range.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “General Discussion”