Do most Commanders 'cultivate' a favoured system/s?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Daemonhunter
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Daemonhunter Kees
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Daemonhunter » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:24 am

Hi Commanders. I am fairly new to ED and still trying to find my feet. I just wanted to get some feedback on whether most Commanders have a tendency stick with one or two systems and build up maximum rep with the different factions before moving on.

I was aware that better paying missions became available when you moved from neutral to cordial, cordial to friendly, but I wasn't full aware how much until last night. I'm currently in HIP10716 doing the Imperial grind, and very quickly I become friendly with all the (imperial) factions on the various stations. Suddenly I'm being offered missions that where unthinkable two weeks ago (1.5mil for one delivery).

Up until now I have had a tendency to do some missions in on system, fly off to another, then to another, basically just going where the next mission sent me. But it occurred to me that it would be more sensible to find a home system, grind maximum rep with the major factions so they start offer higher and higher paying missions, and then possibly move on. (I gather this is a bit of a Duh!! moment for me).

I realise there is no right or wrong way to play ED (one of the things I love about the game) but I am sure there are ways to play it smarter.
All thoughts and comments very much appreciated.
Fly safe Commanders o7

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Do most Commanders 'cultivate' a favoured system/s?

Postby Lanceor » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:34 am

Most players have a home system where they keep most of their fleet and they keep returning to. Quite often, this system has a bit of emotional investment in it. For example, I used to be based at Zeta Trianguli Australis as it was the home system for the Aussie Commanders player group. I then moved to Sol because... it's Sol. Nowadays, I'm doing a lot o things for the Order of Mobius, so I'm based in Azrael.

Having a home system makes you feel like you're carving out your own little neighbourhood and IMHO makes the game a lot more interesting. :)
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:41 am

The longer you stay in one system, the more you affect the local politics.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:18 am

To get a better selection of missions, and higher paying missions, it's best to do most of your mission running out of one system so that you build up rep with the locals. Having a home is a good thing. :) They pay you well for it.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:05 pm

Having good rep with the controlling faction also looks to be one of the factors for the speed and size of the local security response. I am allied with almost every faction in the general Azrael area because of all the missions I have been running for OoM. During the recent war in Njiri, I was interdicted by a random mid-level NPC flying a Viper Mk III, and system security was on scene in less than 5 seconds, and with a dozen ships.

However, do not be afraid to change your home system if there is a good reason for it. I am currently moving my fleet out of Azrael because I see no reason to live on a mobius band when I can live in a pleasure dome instead :)
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Pam Demonium

Postby Pam Demonium » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:43 pm

As a part time miner, I suckled up to a pristine ring planet, and have been there for weeks. The faction I gain has no meaning to be, unless I want a government ship.
As soon as the DBX gets its upgrade, Im headed for deep space

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:42 pm

For a while I based myself at gende due to its outfitting and proximity to azrael - currently my "home" is SOL and Mars high, as its central to pretty much all the engineers and I'm one rank off corvette ownership, I work on local rep with all legal factions first then spread out to outlying systems and do the same...

I only bounty hunt in systems that I have spent little time in doing missions as hostile is quite easy to achieve and causes interdiction grief so I have my hunting Bookmarks in fed and imperial space, my mining barge is currently parked up in Frey for obvious reasons....

I have a couple of warbirds parked up in Eravate for reasons not yet in swing due to engineer grinds...

The ship I frequent - Python currently makes 150ly radius in 6 jumps so I can help in azrael when needed - that's my nomadic tendencies described

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Walter wrote:The longer you stay in one system, the more you affect the local politics.

I tend towards a place with a nice steady War.
The more I stay in a system the less the locals affect the Politics.

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:45 pm

My first home was the Phiagre system, as I was a member of Ghost Legion at the time. Later though as I got detached from them I settled at Dvorsi. Close proximity to Azrael and being a high tech system has good outfitting options. My entire fleet resides there in Fowler Orbital.

Return to “General Discussion”