Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Shield booster feedback

Postby evovi » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:04 am

Been reading the feedback from players before fdev commit to what's going live, it's apparent most of these are from pvp combatants as they are pro smaller shields, some maintaining armor tanking as a viable alternative, my experience of hull tanking has been one of little success, I've been over 80% hull and had my canopy blown out with a vulture that had military hull and all free slots filled with hull reinforcement modules - once those shields went, the vulture is one squishy bird.

Not everyone in the game flies something that can hold its own with shields down, nor has the money to throw away on rebuys, so whilst this is situational, yeah combat pilots go for a specific ship, what about the ones flying in open that are still working there way up in the likes of the vulture, why disadvantage these pilots to save the few who can really fly blindfolded whilst letting a hail of fixed weapons loose on their opponent and have a huge credit balance.. a mechanic change is always daunting, but, this specifically in my opinion is only going to hurt the less wealthy, the less able and scare people out of open even more but still be a nerf when they hide in solo mode or a private group because their once capable shielded bird is now needing a raft of engineer mods to be comparable to what it was before

Also... The question regarding pvp or solo can easily be rigged using a generic form, it's easy for me to say I only fly pve whilst I have skills surpassing the Red Baron in pvp - why not upload the journal and let fdev see who of these "pve" players actually spend most of their logged in time in open, I bet there's some slight exaggerations going on

Maybe the age old problem of a dedicated pvp mode and a dedicated pve mode is the only way of actually keeping the masses happy, where flying in pvp, you need to tailor your ship accordingly or face being blown up relatively easy as those shield booster stacks once in open get diminishing returns applied to them, but when in solo, they are normal...

ScytheKnight
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: ScytheKnight

Re: Shield booster feedback

Postby ScytheKnight » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:08 pm

Actually this isn't really something that should effect those low down in the chain much. It's something aimed more at the super-heavies and other ships with a lot of utility slots for stacking the boosters.

Fabiocoelho
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Fabiocoelho » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:57 pm

I think that for PvE purpose we aren't going to be affected at all of other game mechanics stay the same.
But if Frontier adds more combat content, like massive war like events, Fed vs Empire kind of thing, with Capital Ships blowing full power on players, we will be really screwed.
For me they are setting the ground for these kind of events and they don't want 5000+ mj Cutter's tanking capital ships.

Enviado de meu D6543 usando Tapatalk

Darwin
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darwin

Postby Darwin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Already added my tuppence.

The thread is quite a good read.

My Cutter is a PVE build, and lost 1700 shield strength from live to beta (but was never maxed out to start with)

Limiting all extremes of stacking, especially multiple SCB's and Hull / Module reinforcement should be done as well IMHO, not just boosters, and also a limit to resistance stacking, which appears to be the way forward for shields.

Heck even limit extreme heat sink stacking too, so extended silent running hull tanking build extremes are also reined in.

Never been a fan of SCB's. Remove them entirely, or limit to one, then see if shield strength needs tweaking.

Module reinforcement seems a little ineffective, the canopy or modules gives way long before the hull, and module health could do with a larger buff, particularly Power Plant and Thrusters to make it more inline with hull strength (or make the hull protect them more)

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost5300066

Narrowing the gap between general builds that contain cargo racks, discovery scanners, srv bays etc and ultra META combat only builds would be the way to go for me.
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:30 pm

On the fly hull repair would help, I suspect. I haven't read the thread but I bet one of the issues is that you have to go to a station and pay for repairs, which takes you out of the action.
If we had hull repair drones or the AFMU could do it, it might soften the blow.

Return to “General Discussion”