Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Starter Ship Engineering

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Just wondering if anyone had ever bothered to engineer up one of the starter ships?

Basically, I only had a few minutes last night and the only combat ship I had access to was my old stock A-Rated Eagle so I jumped in it and forgot how much I enjoyed it.
I love that eerie nose it makes when you boost :)

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Re: Starter Ship Engineering

Postby evovi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Not yet, but one of my imperial eagles is going to soon be modded - I've decided its role will be a high speed surface recon to gather materials - it's quicker to land that bird than a Python and if I find a canyon I can have a break from cracking open rocks :)

Sinxar
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Sinxar

Postby Sinxar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:10 am

That is the ship I was considering as well, the Imperial Eagle. It is ripe for engineering as it is already really good. I imagine a good dirty drive tuning alone would push it into insane territory.

I heavily engineered a viper this morning. Its pretty good to be sure but for it size it is a bit on the weak side. Might have to dust off the Courier next. It is my favorite ship but sadly I haven't flown it recently due to messing about with the cutter and vette.

Sevin Church
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Sevin Church

Postby Sevin Church » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:00 am

evovi wrote:Not yet, but one of my imperial eagles is going to soon be modded - I've decided its role will be a high speed surface recon to gather materials - it's quicker to land that bird than a Python and if I find a canyon I can have a break from cracking open rocks :)

I thought about doing that as well with a Mk3 Cobra. Original idea was for a viper, as that was my fave 'low level' ship, but let's face it the cobra is better.

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak

Postby pargyrak » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:16 am

I will go for the Cobra too, not sure if it will be the 1984 or the 2016 version :)
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing

Postby blazingmaniac » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:37 am

I have engineered a Courier and a Cobra Mk3. The Courier is insane, DD lv 4 drives (485 boost speed), reinforced shields G5 so with a heavy duty booster its over 700mj of shielding and a decent jump range, over 17 lys if I recall correctly.
The cobra has similar mods and with the DD it does over 500 on boost :) jump range is 39 lys with all A rated internals however the shields are a lot less than the Courier. Both are immense fun to use both mission running and in RES.
The Courier easily holds its own in CZ's as well. Weapon wise it has 2 x C2 G5 burst with Efficient mods and 1 x C2 Plasma Accelerator currently unmodified.

Sinxar
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Sinxar

Postby Sinxar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:43 am

That Courier sounds like beast mode. I mean it was already... but yeah! The shields are one of the best parts about the Courier, even before engineers was added. I only have 2x C2 MCs and a C2 beam. However that was the old unengineered loadout.

How does the distributor hold up with the burst on it? I always had power drain issues with anything other than MCs

Relix Typhon
Master
Master

Postby Relix Typhon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:45 pm

I've literally just dusted off the Courier I bought a couple of months back, I'd only took it out for a test drive but I A-Rated it last night and my god, its good :D

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing

Re: RE: Re: Starter Ship Engineering

Postby blazingmaniac » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:23 pm

Sinxar wrote:That Courier sounds like beast mode. I mean it was already... but yeah! The shields are one of the best parts about the Courier, even before engineers was added. I only have 2x C2 MCs and a C2 beam. However that was the old unengineered loadout.

How does the distributor hold up with the burst on it? I always had power drain issues with anything other than MCs

The distro holds up surprisingly well. It's got a level 1 high charge mod on it and will manage a good 3/4 plasma shots combined with fairly regular burst laser use ( they are g5 efficient)
Pips wise I run 1 in engines 3 in sys and 2 in weapons.
I checked the other stats tonight and it's 725 mj shields. Boost is 485 normal top with above pips is 330.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Relix Typhon
Master
Master

Postby Relix Typhon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:23 am

After using the Courier for a few nights now, I can honestly say its probably one of my favorite ships. It has great defense, good offense and not to mention awesome maneuverability.
This is my next engineering project.... when I finally find some specialized legacy firmware to finish off the bursts on my FGS

Return to “General Discussion”