Coriolis link: Ascalon - Lanceor's Fer de Lance (as of 10 Mar 2017)
- Mostly A-grade stuff as you'd expect.
- D-grade sensors and life support.
- Lightweight alloy for hull - FdLs rely on agility and are not hull tanks.
- Thrusters are G5 Dirty.
- Shields were engineered for Thermal resistance. Once resistances were up to scratch, Bi-Weaves were much more effective than Prismatics - lower power draw, more effective SCB use and greater endurance. The Prismatic's extra capacity was almost never used.
- Firing off two SCB's recovers over 2 rings of shields. You'll need to use a heat sink if you don't want to cook your ship.
- The HRPs are for hull resistances and aren't really needed. Feel free to replace them.
Trigger 1: 1 x C4 Beam Laser (Fixed) + 2 x C2 Railguns
- Excluding Frag cannons and Torpedoes, these are the two highest DPS weapons in the game.
- Beams are the easiest fixed weapons for newbies to learn.
- The beam laser acts as a laser pointer, making the rails easy to aim.
- Rails have incredible burst damage.
- Thermal vent on the beam helps to keep temperatures down.
Trigger 2: 2 x C2 Multicannons (Gimballed)
- Mainly used for the corrosive shell effect to increase the DPS of the above weapons by a further 20%!
- I'm thinking of switching one to incendiary rounds to shield-strip small ships.
- 4 x 0A Shield Booster - standard stuff - engineered to shore up resistances
- 0I Heat Sink Launcher - 1. Fire off an SCB. 2. Wait for temp to go above 80%. 3. Fire a heat sink. 4. Wait for temp to drop below 40%. 5. Fire off second SCB. 6. Enjoy having full shields.
- Point Defense - I replace this with a KWS in RESs.
- IMHO, it's only necessary to grind Grade 5 materials for the Thrusters and the Shields - the rest you can simply upgrade with whatever mats you have available.
- Without engineering, the C4 Beam runs out of puff quite quickly. It's still playable allowing you to test out the build, but I'd get an efficient mod on the Beam laser and/or Charge Enhanced on the Distributor as soon as possible.
- I tried overcharging the C4 beam - not good!
Build Strengths and Weaknesses
- Mind-blowing DPS against medium and large ships.
- Beam fires forever with 3 pips to weapons.
- With fixed primary weapons, small fast ships are very annoying. I usually turn off the railguns and hose away with the beam.
- Planning to swap one of the two Corrosive MCs for an incendiary one to help shield-strip small ships.