Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Tifu
Master
Master
CMDR: Tifu
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Looking for a ship with good turret placement

Postby Tifu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:47 am

RD-83 wrote:Federal Gunship has 2 seats, 7 hardpoints and an SLF bay. IIRC you need Ensign with the Feds but that doesn't take too long. It is a bit pricey to A-rate though

It's actually fits the bill, price range & features. If I ever defect to the Federation in powerplay I would seriously consider it :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:59 am

Don't have to involve power play.

One doesn't really involve the other.
And your enjoyment of the game stand to grow greatly if you drop it completely.

Yeah the gunship look good on paper.
But after the past few patches, Hull tanking has gone from viable to a complete fools errand.
Tested with a fully a-rated gunship with slf, and I couldn't kill one mediocre python without having my canopy breach and having to limp to station.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:04 am

TorTorden wrote:Don't have to involve power play.

But after the past few patches, Hull tanking has gone from viable to a complete fools errand.
Tested with a fully a-rated gunship with slf, and I couldn't kill one mediocre python without having my canopy breach and having to limp to station.

Agreed to that, all my Federal ships (except the vette) are gathering dust in their dock because of it.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:20 am

And besides.
What is meant by "a ship with good turret placement" really means, " lots of useless hardpoints".

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:25 am

TorTorden wrote:And besides.
What is meant by "a ship with good turret placement" really means, " lots of useless hardpoints".

It's subjected to interpretation in the end. If you just want to put turrets for the sake of getting a gunner onboard any ship with lots of hardpoints, decent shield and SLF capability could work. It's another matter entirely if that same ship could do more damage with gimballed weapons.

Tifu
Master
Master

Postby Tifu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:00 pm

TorTorden wrote:Don't have to involve power play.

Aisling provides a 10% boost to the ability to influence factions which includes the Imperium and other minor factions you come across. Since she's #3 right now that boost is up to 15% which means faster ranking for me to unlock the Imperial ships. I agree that PP isn't in the best place right now even with the consolidation mechanics (to prevent fifth column push to shove crappy systems in) or the toning down of attacks from other factions as long as you're not carrying PP material.

But I'm hoping FD will integrate powerplay mechanics with the BGS eventually which will mean deep & meaningful faction gameplay for all player guilds who have a mirror NPC faction ingame (eg. OOM). If no movement towards that direction shows up this year then I'm dropping powerplay like a hot potato.

Thanks for the tip on hull tanking, looks like I have to reconfigure my Viper mk4 and other ships to come with prismatic or engineer boosted shields.

Tifu
Master
Master

Postby Tifu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:13 pm

charlie2alpha wrote:
TorTorden wrote:And besides.

It's subjected to interpretation in the end. If you just want to put turrets for the sake of getting a gunner onboard any ship with lots of hardpoints, decent shield and SLF capability could work. It's another matter entirely if that same ship could do more damage with gimballed weapons.

For my friends and me it's just for the fun of playing and working together using the new SLF and multicrew mechanics. It's not really about kill scores or flaming wreckage (well, not mostly) - it's a chance for us to extend our camraderie into a new game. Besides, ED looks like it's going planetside a little bit more later on and with avatars eventually walking onship or on land that brings up interesting possibilities for us.

Return to “General Discussion”