Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Tifu
Master
Master
CMDR: Tifu
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Looking for a ship with good turret placement

Postby Tifu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:11 am

Hi all, I'm scouting around for a reasonably priced medium to large ship with good turret placement. Some friends of mine are coming over from another game and are looking forward to help me crew one. I was wondering if there is some online site that has some ship schematics that will help me evaluate what the likely options are. I know that most ships have a forward firing angle and I'm not looking for 360 degree coverage. 270 degrees will do :D

I'm planning to get a T7 first to help me accumulate enough funds to do this. My budget is 20-35M credits (this does not include upgrades). I was considering a ship that could carry an SLF but the ones that do and have an extra seat are way out of my price range. Thanks in advance!

Macklroy
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Macklroy
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Looking for a ship with good turret placement

Postby Macklroy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:29 am

The keelback might be the only ship with SLF capabilities within that price range.
Most ships with decent turret placement and size are a little more pricey.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:28 am

You might just look towards the skimmer exploits.

Cause really there are three ships built for turrets that aren't rank locked.

Beluga, t9 or anaconda.
I would never take two of them near a fight, and the third will cost 300 mil+ to get combat ready.
The t9 more so.

Remember turreted guns are 10x as expensive as the other two options and do 25% as much damage as the fixed equivalent.

See why we aren't excited yet?

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Tifu
Master
Master

Postby Tifu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:08 am

Macklroy wrote:The keelback might be the only ship with SLF capabilities within that price range.
Most ships with decent turret placement and size are a little more pricey.

You're right about the Keelback and it's just too bad it doesn't have the second seat that I need. For the turrets, even though it's not ideal -I may have to go for the Clipper since it hits two sweet spots of mine. Trade & speed.

Wouldn't want to disappoint my friends, the other ships are just too expensive for me to get in the short term.

Tifu
Master
Master

Postby Tifu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:13 am

TorTorden wrote:You might just look towards the skimmer exploits.

Cause really there are three ships built for turrets that aren't rank locked.

Beluga, t9 or anaconda.
I would never take two of them near a fight, and the third will cost 300 mil+ to get combat ready.
The t9 more so.

Remember turreted guns are 10x as expensive as the other two options and do 25% as much damage as the fixed equivalent.

See why we aren't excited yet?

Good points all and I'm beginning to see the warts on the multicrew thingy :).

My dream is to get a T9 in the long term since I'm a merchanter by heart. And having an SLF on board that lumbering behemoth doesn't hurt either. I will have to grind for Empire rep anyway since I'm still pledged to Aisling and the two sort of go together.

With all due respect to the current Empress I'm not comfortable with the ethos of her faction. I'm seriously thinking of relocating my ships to an Aisling control center specially since she's rank#3 now and those nice special bonuses are active.

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:47 am

I think the only ship I would bother fitting with turrets is the Imperial Cutter. It's maneuverability sucks compared to other more combat oriented vessels but it has a monstrous shield capacity to compensate for it. The downside, cost a fortune to get and even more to equip. Plus you need to rank up with the empire up to Duke to unlock it.

Tifu
Master
Master

Postby Tifu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:17 am

charlie2alpha wrote:I think the only ship I would bother fitting with turrets is the Imperial Cutter. It's maneuverability sucks compared to other more combat oriented vessels but it has a monstrous shield capacity to compensate for it. The downside, cost a fortune to get and even more to equip. Plus you need to rank up with the empire up to Duke to unlock it.

I was just looking at the Cutter (with envy) because of its enormous cargo capacity and bristling armament. But the price is incredibly steep and I'm not so sure I want to be in bed with the Empire THAT much. The SLF capability is very nice too.

Nice curves, looks great - wish my wallet could afford her right now :| One step at a time i guess - thanks for the tip, really appreciate it.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:03 am

charlie2alpha wrote:I think the only ship I would bother fitting with turrets is the Imperial Cutter. It's maneuverability sucks compared to other more combat oriented vessels but it has a monstrous shield capacity to compensate for it. The downside, cost a fortune to get and even more to equip. Plus you need to rank up with the empire up to Duke to unlock it.

Still it turns rings around a t9.

In fact I wouldn't use a t9 for anything. The conda is not much more expensive to setup for cargo running and gets far more shields and defence, and considerably more jump range.
My old trade conda got 19ly with 430t cargo, and that was before engineers.
And nearly a thousand MJ in shields.
The t9 is gimped from the go, even with a full compliment of booster and A8 shield gen (which costs 140mil alone) gets you less shields than a python.

So t9, https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/type_9_ ... AAAA%3D%3D

Conda.
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/anacond ... uzIg%3D%3D.

Granted, I would probably like to upgrade the power distributor before taking into combat.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:13 am

The Anaconda is a really almost-good-for-anything ship. Likewise, I started it as a tradeconda, made it a battleconda and eventually an explorerconda after it was replaced by a Federal Corvette in combat. Probably another alternative for possible turret outfitting, certainly costs less than the cutter but with dirty drive tuning gimbals would do so much more damage...

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:18 am

Federal Gunship has 2 seats, 7 hardpoints and an SLF bay. IIRC you need Ensign with the Feds but that doesn't take too long. It is a bit pricey to A-rate though

Return to “General Discussion”