Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Macklroy
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Macklroy
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: CMDR PLATER's video about Mobius

Postby Macklroy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:47 pm

Oops. The trolls must have sank the ship...."video no longer available". :)

Goobertech
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Shaen

Postby Goobertech » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:10 am

Looks like he removed the video. I'm guessing he didn't get the response he was hoping for.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Saw the video, worked for me right now.
Well, he keeps it pretty civil, albeit his unnecessary blows against this group. He got a point with the Crime system of course, and with the BGS, which is not really to blame on the group min fact.
BUT; I play in Open regularly as a Fuel Rat, and in my "off-Rat time", I even engage in PvP (though not much) by patrolling a core newbie system for griefers, in a protective player faction. And I have to say if I encounter one of the full-time PvPers who modded a PvP-exclusive ship (FDL *yawn* or Vette) than about no ship that is not equally single-purpose modded would stand a chance. Even with good flight skills.
So anyone calling on the main forums that "traders should just take guns" clearly has no idea of PvP, or the wrong idea about it. Therefore, Mobius is a great alternative and answer to the lacks in these areas, making it possible for us to enjoy the more fantastic sides of this game.

In short, I think the video maker has missed the point.

Sevin Church
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Sevin Church

Postby Sevin Church » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Well said, I used to watch his videos on a regular basis. Now I have a hard time subscribing to someone who misses so big a point.

firemane
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: firemane

Postby firemane » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:12 am

He posted a video called... Elite: Dangerous - Is Mobius a Symptom or Solution - RETRACTION

Kinda offers an apology for the wording and tries to clarify the original intent. :roll:

Sevin Church
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Sevin Church

Postby Sevin Church » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:59 am

Well that's definitely better.

Poe
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Poe

Postby Poe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:48 pm

I can understand where he was trying to go - yes, it would be nice to see more 'real' commanders as I fly around, even as part of Mobius, it's still fairly infrequent. That said, I have no desire to PvP...I can barely hold my own against simple NPCs, let alone a fully engineered FDL...and frankly, combat isn't really the big driver for me. I do think Mobius is a symptom, not a solution...but right now, I don't see any solution in the works.

The biggest problem I see with any 'penalty system' is the availability of in-game currency. I often see/hear Commanders talking about their hundreds of millions, if not billions of credits. Hard to see how you implement a penalty structure that really punishes the guy flying his 1.2Bn-cr Cutter around blowing up people for the hell of it. 13 Million credit fine ? Peanuts...it's one trip to the ruins, maybe an hour's effort.

The only thing I could think of was some sort of bounty system that started listing the player in the mission boards as a target. The more they killed clean commanders, the higher and wider the bounty gets, and his rebuy cost is affected also (reflecting an increased insurance risk...say 30%, 60%, 100%)...so you can't just suicidwinder your way out of it. After your 3rd murder in a set time period, you no longer get insurance at all on that ship...that would make that 1.2bn cutter a juicy target for the 'good guys'...and punish the bad guy, while still leaving some leeway for the 'pirates', who generally say they only kill if the player fights back...they can run too if they can't win the fight, or let the pilot go with a hefty repair bill but without a rebuy if they don't want to incur the penalty. The insurance rebuy would slowly decay again, assuming they don't murder anyone else.

Anyway...back to work... ;)
Steve
CMDR Poe
- Whoever said the journey is more fun than the destination never drove on Michigan roads in February.

Return to “General Discussion”