Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Craps
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Craps
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

I am wanting info on 40" screen

Postby Craps » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:17 pm

I am looking into buying a 40" screen to play on. I have a 55" 4K in the living room but not sure if I even need a 4K. I heard that a 1080p will do just fine. Any thoughts?

Mouse
Master
Master
CMDR: Baigs

Re: I am wanting info on 40" screen

Postby Mouse » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:26 pm

I've got a Samsung 40" with a slight curve to it (can barely tell but makes it easier to fit in the corner) I love it and have had no issues with it whatsoever gamewise.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - HHGTTGImageImage

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:55 am

Are you looking at another tv or monitor?

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:56 am

This is my plan.

I can get a good 40-50 inch TV for less than half of what they want for a 30' inch "Monitor". Although I may make up the difference on the cost with SPF50 sunscreen sitting close to something like this.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:37 am

Loriath wrote:This is my plan.

I can get a good 40-50 inch TV for less than half of what they want for a 30' inch "Monitor". Although I may make up the difference on the cost with SPF50 sunscreen sitting close to something like this.

No you cant.

For half of what a 30" monitor cost you can get a 'not even barely ok' tv, and it will be bright, eye searingly bright.
And one of the first things dropped from the cheap models are proper adjustment options so you might not even be able to dim the lights.

Also if you want to output 1080p to a 4k tv, it could look like absolute garbage unless it has good upscaling, also one of the few features dropped from low tier models.

But all in all, 1080p is not enough for elite or desktop use, and certainly not for a 40" screen.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:17 am

TorTorden wrote:No you cant.
But all in all, 1080p is not enough for elite or desktop use, and certainly not for a 40" screen.

You way over estimate what my old eyes are capable of seeing as far as details. Brightness is not an issue for me on most sets I have seen in the 4-600 price range. And 1080 is just fine, since unless I shove my face into the screen I can see no difference between HD and 4K.

We all don't have your vision and requirement for Über features :P
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Slightly off/on topic: I'm too lazy to read about it, and I'm not currently in the market, but what's the story with HDR (high dynamic range) that I keep hearing promoted? Is this just the latest feature that you'll want to turn off, with all the other features, that just make the picture look like crap? I always adjust my picture manually and just leave it set the same for movies, sports, news, tv shows, and etc. Of course, you need to make sure the TV has all those adjustments.

Personally I think 1080 is a bit low res for a 40" screen. I have 1440 on a 32" and it looks pretty good. But I play in VR now so it's kind of moot for me. ;)
It's time to give this another go.

Poe
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Poe

Postby Poe » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Craps wrote:I am looking into buying a 40" screen to play on. I have a 55" 4K in the living room but not sure if I even need a 4K. I heard that a 1080p will do just fine. Any thoughts?

It's all about visual acuity ;) I came a cross this site that has a fairly nice explanation around viewing distance vs resolution vs screen size. I know I used to use my Playstation on a 42" plasma, but I tended to sit a lot further back than I do with my PC. I think you notice the details a lot more when you are using the PC for PC type things too, rather than game playing.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-siz ... lationship

Hope that helps !
Steve
CMDR Poe
- Whoever said the journey is more fun than the destination never drove on Michigan roads in February.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Yeah, I should clarify that 1080p on a 40" desktop screen is probably too low a resolution. But if sitting back, then it's probably fine, depending on what you find acceptable and can actually see. I have a 60" 1080p TV, but I stream movies at 720p to save on bandwidth and don't really notice a difference (except during the credits). So I wonder what the HUD text would look like?

PS. don't listen to me - I'm full of crap. I haven't played games on a TV since my Atari days. :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Before I got my Vive I used to game on the old 42" 1080p screen which got transferred into the 'game' room when we upgraded the living rooms TV. I used to sit about 5 foot away from it roughly and it was great playing on it. Made things feel more lifelike as they were larger.

I even tried it on the 1080 projector we have (about 104"!) and that was AMAZING! Everything was so BIG!

Using the desktop was okay, but not something I done often as it was only used to boot up the game on the big screen.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Return to “General Discussion”