Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: I am wanting info on 40" screen

Postby JustSomeGuy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:43 pm

1080p is the absolute minimum I think. I've been using 1440p 27" screen for years now and would not like to go any lower resolution. About UHD, are current graphic cards capable of pushing 60 fps to that without a problem? And by current I mean something like 1070 and 1080. I assume that AMDs 480 is not fast enough.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm sure those two cards could run a lot of games in 4k, might have to dial down some details settings but this could just as much be game optimisation as the cards.
Even the 6gb 1060 would probably handle at lot of games at that resolution, maybe not at ultra in extreme graphical situations but should be plenty fine.
But 6GB of gpu ram would be a minimum really.

And agreed with JSG, 1080p is the very minimum of anything.
You should at least aim for 1440p. It's often most noticeable on anything but gaming and video.

I have actually yet to try 4k gaming on my TV.
It would mean bypassing my avr for output and that would need a very long HDMI cable or upgrading the avr..

I'm not yet ready to do that...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

IridiumSkies
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Torven

Postby IridiumSkies » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:50 am

One thing you should absolutely consider with TV gaming is input lag.

https://displaylag.com/display-database/

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:45 am

Problem with input lag is it's still very poorly documented.
It's getting better and things like the displaylag database is a good effort, but it is failing completely at being up to date, basically after 2014 it's hardly relevant.

*Rant warning*

Also, model numbers change over various regions as well, and albeit you should be able to generalise between them, nothing is as simple as that in reality and one market could, and often do, either get substandard panels and or substandard processing, although in the same frame, similar price etc etc.

It is also highly individual of what people notice when it comes to input lag.
Some start barfing and throwing the controller out below 40ms, some doesn't even notice it at all before it passes 100ms.
And it also depends an awful lot on what type of games you play, For ED it is actually not that critical.

And just to mention for lag free 60hz gaming. You need a minimum response time of 16ms.
For tv's, at least the past few years, finding a screen capable of anything less than 30ms has been like finding a unicorn in the wild.
That's ok for the industry, since console games don't really bother to go for more than 30fps in the first place, and most don't even reach that, happily staying between 20 and 30 fps.

Self emitting panels has often been good, but plasma has gone the way of the Dodo bird, Oled has all the promise in the world.
But LG has a long standing policy of running substandard image processors and never given two hoots about input lag.

Hence why their Oled's are measuring in the high 50's.
In fact the processing in the LG B series oled from last year is so substandard, non UHD source images look poorly compared to the competition, and you need some source device to run the upscaling from 1080p to the UHD 4k resolution to acheive a good image.
Compared to my Panasonic that I honestly can barely tell the difference between upscaled blueray and native UHD, that is quite suprising.

I have actually yet to test UHD gaming on it from the pc, since that would require yet-another long HDMI cable, and 1080p from the pc is just fine for the gaming I do there.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

IndigoWyrd
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: IndigoWyrd

Postby IndigoWyrd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:36 pm

I usually play on a 27" monitor that is fairly close to where I sit.
Sometimes, when I feel adventurous I lug all my stuff out into the den and play on a 60" Sharp Aquos 4k.
I'd actually like to try running this out a projector and playing in my home theatre - between the speaker system (9 over-head, 9 left, 9 right, 6 front, 6 rear, 3 subs, and a 12x9 foot screen, I can only suspect the experience to be impressive - but I know my wife will throw a conniption if I do, so I'll have to try it when she's out of town next!

Craps
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Craps

Postby Craps » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:58 pm

Looks like not so many players on a 40" Guess I will be looking into something smaller

Return to “General Discussion”