Big row on steam at the moment..can't see it here..

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Dave Sewell
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Markev Tierson
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Big row on steam at the moment..can't see it here..

Postby Dave Sewell » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:07 pm

Early Bird wrote:You get the pilots federation license at inara http://inara.cz/ When you register (for free) you can use it.

Cheers mate..does it actually link to your player data in some way or do you have to manually fill it all in under trust?

Early Bird
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Earl B.

Postby Early Bird » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:03 pm

You have to do it yourself

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:15 pm

What's to row about?

I can see that without instant travel this whole feature is dead.
It's locked in. Has been for a while.

As for the feature itself I can't really see the point in it, like I didn't and still don't see a point in power play, cqc, and quite honestly engineers.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Dave Sewell
Novice
Novice

Postby Dave Sewell » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:22 pm

TorTorden wrote:What's to row about?

I can see that without instant travel this whole feature is dead.
It's locked in. Has been for a while.

As for the feature itself I can't really see the point in it, like I didn't and still don't see a point in power play, cqc, and quite honestly engineers.

Without instant travel 'within reason' it's dead...it wouldn't necessarily be anywhere near dead with a few little restrictions.
Power play has a point if you care about the background story and the 'wider' universe
Engineers has a point if you want to customise and personalise your ship, it also adds a new activity to do based around (gathering sh*t) but I kinda like it.

cqc...no point..we have open for the fools who want to run around shooting eachother. :|

Mobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Mobius

Postby Mobius » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:40 pm

they need a back story like you occupy a android avatar and that the player you see is not really there but just a robot that uses the players consciousness. that would work for me.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Mobius wrote:they need a back story like you occupy a android avatar and that the player you see is not really there but just a robot that uses the players consciousness. that would work for me.

EvE like clone? ;)

I have no beef in this fight. I have no interest in multi-crew.

But to me for a sense of "continuity", a bit of "immersion", I guess I would go for needing to be in the same port for you to pick up your crew. I presume this would make the community gather together more.

One thing keeps coming to my mind though and it goes like this:
Want to be billionaire, want to be Elite, Elite.
No problem. You get game, you crew with me. In my private group. You start, I finish. 2 weeks. Gaurentee.
$200. Cheap. Cheap.

Kiltrathi
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Kiltrathi

Postby Kiltrathi » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Dave Sewell wrote:So we really agree then. I tried EVE and it wasnt for me, one thing I did notice was many of the older long time players were unhappy with where the game was going..now these changes would have made and did make it easier for me to start playing, but I was aware that players like me, although being welcomed to the game, were ruining it for those who had played it for such a long time. The allowances being made to attract new blood, and more importantly a different kind of blood, had transformed the game into something else. As a result I do believe Eve may eventually die off. Elite is great, and it caters for a wide range of players, but Frontier need to very carefully balance what it is with what it is going to b e or you end up loosing as many as you gain as the game transforms into something less special and more mainstream. The casual player has the majority of the market these days...Elite was never meant to be for the casual player and was special IS special, because of that.

Gratification does not always need to be instant, the easy win is not always the best. Sometimes it's all about the slog. And slog is at the heart of Elite, always has been. The whole feel of vastness and lonliness could be ruined if we are able to just woosh about at the click of a button..so I hope that they big guys have gone some way to protect the feel of Elite with this new update...I like the slog, the grind...when I eventually get to Elite for exploration, it will have been through real blood sweat and tears! lol

If you don't mind me asking..what was it about the engineer update that turned you off mate? (Interested..not looking for a scrap) ;)

I do understand your grievances and worries, and I while don't disagree with your reasoning, I want Frontier to succeed with Elite and hook people on it as the 1985 version did to me. I've accepted that they don't make games specifically with my happiness in mind. Elite: Dangerous gives me enough room to play just the way I want (and as a result I've been playing this game for 2 years). If people want to come together and play by hitching rides in each other's ship from 10,000+LY away then let them do so. I still have admiration for all those explorers who spent months alone, just to go to Beagle Point, albeit, as you said, perhaps not in such awe as those who went before Horizons and suped-up spoiler toting Asps. I want more people to fall in love with Elite, and I'm very happy to let go of my demands that this Elite: Dangerous is as unforgiving as the older versions.

As for the engineers update, I felt that I had to play the game a certain way (grind) to find enough of the materials to jump through a specific hoop a number of time to go back to playing as I had before the introduction. I had grown accustomed to a certain play-style I liked, which in my eyes now became blocked by unwanted (by me) mechanics. I didn't want to adjust so I (rage)quit. I still don't enjoy the 'crafting' aspect of this game. But I can still enjoy the Elite universe, go to Lave Station and wallow in my 1980's nostalgic feelings.

I don't think we'll end up in a scrap, I'm way more in your camp than I let on. I just don't have a problem with people sharing ships from 'impossible' distances. Let the kids have fun, I think that a lot of them are actually already within the bubble when they hop over and it might make for some interesting Twitch broadcasts.

Dave Sewell
Novice
Novice

Postby Dave Sewell » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:38 pm

Falcon_D wrote:
Mobius wrote:they need a back story like you occupy a android avatar and that the player you see is not really there but just a robot that uses the players consciousness. that would work for me.

EvE like clone? ;)

I have no beef in this fight. I have no interest in multi-crew.

But to me for a sense of "continuity", a bit of "immersion", I guess I would go for needing to be in the same port for you to pick up your crew. I presume this would make the community gather together more.

One thing keeps coming to my mind though and it goes like this:
Want to be billionaire, want to be Elite, Elite.
No problem. You get game, you crew with me. In my private group. You start, I finish. 2 weeks. Gaurentee.
$200. Cheap. Cheap.

This.

Kiltrathi
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Kiltrathi

Postby Kiltrathi » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:43 pm

Just don't get the rank rewards if you're not at the helm of the ship? And apparently making Cutter-money is already in reach if that's all you are looking for in a game.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby smartroad » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:59 pm

For me it is summed up in one word - telepresence. It is already in game with the ship launched fighters and from the books there is hyperspace ftl communications (not to mention indirectly in game with Galnet being available anywhere in the galaxy).

Still don't see the point of it though. Given the issues with Wings and instancing. I mostly play alone so the whole feature is moot for me. Now NPC crew, that I could use!
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Return to “General Discussion”