Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Jezzie
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Jezzie
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

FDev, please remove open play from the game

Postby Jezzie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:37 pm

I recently purchased this game and started playing, however I accidentally clicked on "open play" and as a result got put into a match with some griefers who proceeded to destroy my ship without my consent, causing me to lose almost five thousand gold.

This is obviously an unacceptable situation, as I paid for a copy of the game and did not consent to PvP. I have made a support ticket with FDev and am hoping to get refunded the money I lost, however this has made me aware of a greater issue: new players don't know what open play means and may accidentally press it.

As a result I believe "open play" should be removed from the game. After all, nobody wants to be killed right? So why would anyone choose to play in "open" unless they were a griefer wanting to ruin other players' fun without their consent! This seems like a huge oversight from the developers.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: FDev, please remove open play from the game

Postby Xebeth » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi, welcome to Mobius.

Um, you do realise of course that this is a fan site and not an official FD forum, so probably no one from FD will ever see this?

That aside, lot's of people switch between the modes at different times and actually many many people enjoy the cut and thrust of open, removing it just removes that choice from a chunk of the player base.

A warning would probably be a better option.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Jezzie
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Jezzie

Postby Jezzie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Xebeth wrote:Hi, welcome to Mobius.

Um, you do realise of course that this is a fan site and not an official FD forum, so probably no one from FD will ever see this?

That aside, lot's of people switch between the modes at different times and actually many many people enjoy the cut and thrust of open, removing it just removes that choice from a chunk of the player base.

Why though? I don't understand why people would deliberately want to be put into danger of PvP! I mean, NPC pirates I can sort of understand (though it might be better if they were removed, arguably), but players are just unfair.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Jezzie wrote:
Xebeth wrote:Hi, welcome to Mobius.

Why though? I don't understand why people would deliberately want to be put into danger of PvP! I mean, NPC pirates I can sort of understand (though it might be better if they were removed, arguably), but players are just unfair.

Some people like it, PVP games are popular, some player like the extra challenge posed by another person being in control, a person can make decisions that an AI could never achieve.

Yes there are griefers in Open, but that's the risk you take by playing in that mode, that does not however mean people shouldn't be able to have that choice.

Fortunately we don't have to play in that mode, we have the Mobius groups where players can interact in a cooperative rather than adversarial manner (there is also Solo and personal private groups as well).

As for NPC pirates, well they are an important part of the game, and the source of income for Bounty Hunters. ED is about life on the frontier, and frontiers have pirates and criminals, over 14K have paid the price for their crimes at the hands of my lasers :evil:
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Taranava
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Taranava

Postby Taranava » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Jezzie wrote:Why though? I don't understand why people would deliberately want to be put into danger of PvP! I mean, NPC pirates I can sort of understand (though it might be better if they were removed, arguably), but players are just unfair.

The game has a little something for everyone, which is what makes the game so appealing. It's unfortunate that you were targeted by people who were probably the least desirable part of the player base. Preying on new players is the lamest of endeavours. That said, we have two modes that are available to prevent further harassment.

It's a hard lesson but now that you've found the Möbius group and know the meaning of open play, you can pick up and rebuild.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:18 pm

Jezzie wrote:I recently purchased this game and started playing, however I accidentally clicked on "open play" and as a result got put into a match with some griefers who proceeded to destroy my ship without my consent, causing me to lose almost five thousand gold.

This is obviously an unacceptable situation, as I paid for a copy of the game and did not consent to PvP. I have made a support ticket with FDev and am hoping to get refunded the money I lost, however this has made me aware of a greater issue: new players don't know what open play means and may accidentally press it.

As a result I believe "open play" should be removed from the game. After all, nobody wants to be killed right? So why would anyone choose to play in "open" unless they were a griefer wanting to ruin other players' fun without their consent! This seems like a huge oversight from the developers.

Hmmm... Interesting. After playing for nearly 2 years now, I think I can appreciate the accidental clicking of "Open" and being instantly killed by non-consentual PvP a bad thing.
Therefore I fully support the removal of Open in its current form. Replace it with Open PvE . And anyone who wants to PvP can join a private group. :evil:
This would totally stop players from "accidentally" clicking "Open" and being instantly killed by "griefers".

Imo
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Imo

Postby Imo » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Hey Cmdr,

this is Elite veteran Imo writing. :)

If you are low on Credits visit me.
We can do some bounty hunt together.

Greetings, Cmdr Imo
Elite Secret Service

Taranava
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Taranava

Postby Taranava » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Falcon_D wrote:Hmmm... Interesting. After playing for nearly 2 years now, I think I can appreciate the accidental clicking of "Open" and being instantly killed by non-consentual PvP a bad thing.
Therefore I fully support the removal of Open in its current form. Replace it with Open PvE . And anyone who wants to PvP can join a private group. :evil:
This would totally stop players from "accidentally" clicking "Open" and being instantly killed by "griefers".

How about an Open PVE and Open PVP? If they're clearly marked then there will be no confusion.

Quartz
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Quartz Christie

Postby Quartz » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Having just "Open Play" is fine. But having broken instancing when you can see other players/NPCs shooting some invisible enemy, non existent crime and punishment system isn't in the recipe of PVP game.

You click Open Play, you deal with the results. Dickbags that like to gank newbies in starting system are lame and should be dealt with in the same manner as CCP did it in EVE-Online, as in handing out bans. But removing Open Play because you "accidentally" clicked open play and got killed is totally on you.

PulsarShark
Novice
Novice
CMDR: PulsarShark

Postby PulsarShark » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:12 pm

OP is troll post.

Return to “General Discussion”