Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Humpster
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Humpster
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Calling cutter owners

Postby Humpster » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:46 am

Morning from the UK, soon be off to Diaguandri to purchase my cutter to use a bulk trader what weapons load outs would you suggest I have access to all engineers.

Many thanks

J

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Re: Calling cutter owners

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:56 am

Kind of pointless to put weapons on it imo, just boost and run.

But then again I only get interdicted by elite anaconda npcs.
Only tried to stay and fight once after they adjusted mines in 2.2 and that promptly led to a rebuy screen.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby smartroad » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:13 pm

Guess it depends on what you plan to use it for. A bulk carrier, then as Tor says, don't bother just submit, boost and run. I don't own one, but my Anaconda, which is mostly an explorer vessel, I have put turreted lasers. If I ever end up in the situation where I have to wait for a long cooldown and get attacked, then they can point and shoot while I concentrate on the running away!

I just wish you could charge the FSD while the guns are out, then the FSD engages (final 5 second countdown) when the hardpoints are fully retracted.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:48 pm

smartroad wrote:Guess it depends on what you plan to use it for. A bulk carrier, then as Tor says, don't bother just submit, boost and run. I don't own one, but my Anaconda, which is mostly an explorer vessel, I have put turreted lasers. If I ever end up in the situation where I have to wait for a long cooldown and get attacked, then they can point and shoot while I concentrate on the running away!

I just wish you could charge the FSD while the guns are out, then the FSD engages (final 5 second countdown) when the hardpoints are fully retracted.

If you keep the FSD in a higher priority group, you don't have any delay from hitting the retract hardpoints button to start of charge, in fact you are probably in cruise or jumping by the time the class 4 hardpoint is fully tucked away.

At least before, many put the FSD in a lower priority than their guns or other mods, along with cargo scoop to save power.
After a module bootup delay was added this is now seriously just a bad idea.

But at least to me, and being double elite, I have two options, I either fit for bear, meaning max shields, with cell banks and military armor, If I don't fit for bear I might as well just run, and that point having any guns becomes purely superflous.

Now if your combat rank is dangerous or below, then you have a completely different type of npc's interdicting you and can most likely sit there tanking while turrets pop them.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen

Postby Darr Valen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Haul with a cutter, fight with a corvette.

That being said, I've many kills with mine. Turrets and a large front facing weapon can light some fools up while trading.
Again, that's not what you should do with a cutter.. but you can.

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Postby tinnitus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Many posts available on cutter combat load outs, Billion+ Combat Cutter and a link to the Commander that built it including some flying tips. As already said you do not need any weapons to haul with but those 2 Medium Hard-points on her wings are a nice addition for Beam Turrets if your are going to add WEPS. I use my Cutter to carry Cargo and it does that well with a few options to help you haul. Anyway 8A Fuel Scoop only 289 Million, less elsewhere - nice Python for that price, but 3 class 6 slots available for Fuel/Cargo.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:49 pm

Darr Valen wrote:Haul with a cutter, fight with a corvette.

Exactly. If you're going to trade, then trade; if you're going to fight, then fight. Don't mix business with pleasure. :)

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Weapons are optional. Mines are useless again. It is very easy to just submit, boost, and jump away as no ship will mass lock you. A couple of times I dropped to normal space when I saw the "all that cargo" in chat and after a short while a Conda appeared right in front of me. A gentle boost aimed to his hull will lower his shields nicely. :)

Just yesterday I replaced mine launchers on my (trading) Cutter with turreted weapons, a couple of M multicannons, 2 M beams, 2 L pulses and one L cannon. Yep, a cannon. :) Just to try and see how is it. Quite a weird mix of turrets anyway, but as long as it works..

For the new restricted slots I put a hull reinforcement and a shield cell bank since I had the power to do it and the mass of those do not matter that much anyway. Of course by leaving out the weapons, cell bank and hull reinforcement I could get a bit more jump range.. but it gives a little bit of change to the monotony when taking out FDLs and condas while trading. My first customer actually was a FDL and it had no chance, a free 200k cr for me. Conda is a tougher thing to crack, but doable if the cowards wouldn't jump away when their hull starts to melt. And of course at some point the system defense force will arrive to distract the enemy a bit. Unfortunately that seems to be pretty much all they can do but it does help.

In the end, it is also a risk to your ship and cargo to stay and fight. So for pure trade, dropping guns, shield cells, hull reinforcements and maybe a couple shield boosters too will add to your range and will complete your route faster.

Edit:
Here's my Hauler mk II
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/imperia ... %20mk%20II

It is nowhere near optimal for trade, I have sacrificed some cargo space to have scanners and a decent fuel scoop.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Humpster
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Humpster

Postby Humpster » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks all think i will go for the turret option and see what happens

Return to “General Discussion”