Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

My Toughts and Hopes on the Alienz

Postby Relix Typhon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:59 pm

Now they've been seen in game and it was awesome, I have to admit I got a bit over excited last night when it happened :D I thought I'd share some thoughts on where I hope it goes from here.

Synical bit first. After wathcing a good few of these, it seems they all follow the same patern so its obviously a scripted, cut scene type thing. I'm hoping this isn't simply an appease the masses type event, but lets be honest, some of the stuff FDev has done has been a bit anti-climactic and we've had to wait an age for the next thing to happen.

There are two things I'd like to see. These are only outlines and I've tried to keep it realistic in that they are implementable and not silly out there ideas which would take too much time and resource from the devs

1. Proper layered story telling; for example, plot twists such as these aliens (or others) turn out no to be evil but want to help us. I know this is a big theory already but pushing it to Mass Effect 2 Leigon/Geth heights (no spoilers, if you haven't played, do so. Immediately) would be great. The only issue with it is how greifers are dealt with i.e those that just kill the allies because, well, a-holes. I suppose they could just be simply ignored and if one is destroyed by a human CMDR another one simply spawns/jumps in. Hopefully they'd get bored soon enough.

2. More dynamic Community Goals and such based around the ailen threat. For example an offensive is launched by the Thargoids (which we will lose) in a system and the aims are to transport refugees out, deliver aid/munitions and fight the incursion. The dynamic and cool bit comes from rather than having set areas where you just go to fight, they could attack the stations periodically, say every hour or 2. I'm seeing a couple of capital ships, NPC's and human CMDR's fighting a frantic action a few klicks from a station while others get the civvies out (think the Battlestar Galactica miniseries and the escape from Ragnar Anchorage).
An icing on the cake would be, if you are in station when an attack happens you can telepresence to a station mounted cannon or orbital defence platform and blast away. Not sure how difficult that would be for them to implement but it would be amazing.
Also CG's the other way where CMDR's are called on to attack Thargoid fleets and, better still, installations. Cause x amount of damage over the course of the CG and they are driven out.
During all this, GalNet and in system NPC speech should be awash with panic, bravado and general chatter.

Anyway, I can hope! :mrgreen:

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: My Toughts and Hopes on the Alienz

Postby de Carabas » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:05 pm

All of that sounds good to me. I can't help but think that there will be some overlap with the other ancient technology discovered. Perhaps the work to understand the ancient landing pad site and artifacts will give us the technology to defend ourselves from the Thargoids....
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:14 pm

All of the above.....

I just really hope it's not rushed just to please a few vocal people and a big multi-layer story unfolds......

Also as RD says.....

Mass Effect trilogy.....

Ebay £11.....

Just get it.....

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:33 pm

I just had an encounter.

So far what happened was my fsd malfunctions.
I get spit out, and everything powers down, all heat is sucked out.
This thing shows up, does a laser tendril scan, activates the mother of all honk scanners and floats off.

As the honk ends my computer restart and regained control as it carves a wormhole and disappear.

As far as I can tell it just gave me a jump start.
Probably as friendly an alien encounter as I could have imagined.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Hawk862
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Hawk862

Postby Hawk862 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:35 pm

Not what i was expecting on my voyage ill be honest, a thousandish LY from Sol and similar to Torden my FSD malfunctions....

My first thought was something along the lines of "Well i'm screwed then."

Thankfully he/she/it scanned and went off to give someone else a heart attack.

Driglok
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Driglok

Postby Driglok » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:35 am

I would really like to see community co-op towards a greater threat than power play.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:03 pm

I'm thinking that these guys are the friendly ones (though I have yet to get intradicted while bouncing around the Aries Dark region).
There probably are others out there that are not so friendly and these guys are here to warn/help us. I believe that DB said once that some of the mysteries are not tied together but separate stories.

Return to “General Discussion”