Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Sevin Church
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Sevin Church
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Python vs FDL

Postby Sevin Church » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:03 pm

Falcon_D wrote:For pure combat. Hands down FDL. Bought and flew it once. Got bored. It's extremely good at doing what it does. However, as Tor said, not good at doing much else. I went back to flying my Python (the FDL was a try-for-fun buy.)

I'm not the kind of person who likes doing just one thing for long. And the Python fits me perfectly. Also now I have a Corvette which I take into CZs and bounty hunting.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

It's the same reason I sold my FDL, the Vette I use is fully kitted out so I didin't need both. Although I do love the FDL, and it will always be my favorite, I can't disagree that the Python is not as limited in roles. Just not as refined in combat as the FDL.

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Hrdina » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:22 am

I've owned a Python for months and love it. It can do anything I want it to do.

After getting back from my recent long Exploration trip, I decided to spoil myself with an extravagant purchase, and bought this lovely FdL just for combat.

I'm not sure yet whether it is any better for combat than my Python was, but I'm willing to give it a little time. It certainly is fun to fly.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

Iridul
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Iridul

Postby Iridul » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Have owned both. A few personal thoughts on each:

Python: Best all around ship pre-Anaconda, reasonable at any job, including hunting bounties. Very dependent on loadout and being able to spend some credits on A rated modules and some time on engineered modules (particularly dirty drives). More difficult (though not impossible) to roll with fixed weapons so an immediate hit to damage output, but gimbals seemed ok if you could stand the sluggish handling.

FDL: Looks amazing (I know this shouldn't matter but frankly it does). Minimal flexibility and the terrible jump range irritated me greatly until I got a level 5 FSD range upgrade. Weapon loadout options never seemed to feel as satisfying as the Python, but could be very efficiently used in bounty hunting (combined with a surplus of utility slots). I always felt the handling was not as nimble as I was hoping for, and left me slightly vulnerable to wings of eagles/vultures and the like.

I've owned a Python five times and a FDL twice. That probably tells you where my preference lies.

Capricos
Novice
Novice

Postby Capricos » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:27 pm

If I was only allowed to have one ship and one ship only, it would be the python. It is the best overall ship in the game.
For bounty hunting, probably the fdl might be a bit better. Whoever said the FDL has better shields is nuts. First, the Python has a higher class of shield, two class high shield cell bank, and more more utility mounts in case you want to go shield booster. I'll also take two large and 3 mediums hardpoints over 4 medium and 1 huge any day.
Try using two large rapid fire pulse's with your 3 overcharged MC's instead of the 2 med beams. The Python, also is absolutely top shelf for plasma accelerators. 2 med and 1 large up front is a tight shot group.
Now, do you plan on traveling in your FdL? Because the FdL's jump range is crap and it's fuel tank is non-existent and you really don't have the room in your optionals for a decent fuel scoop or fuel tanks. The FdL is faster, and a bit more maneuverable, however I wouldn't take the FdL into a combat zone for any reason. However, the Python no problem. FdL can't take a hit for crap in a CZ.
FdL is really for pvp. The two mediums next to the cockpit make it easy for fixed mounts. For the price, and for what else is available, it's just a luxury item. I would never even consider getting one if I was working my way through the ranks.
Python ALL the way if you're moving up. Python will still shred pirates just as easily, if not moreso, and then has the versatility to do anything else you want with it. And, you can get more then two jumps out of a tank of fuel in the Python.

Mollymawk
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Mollymawk

Postby Mollymawk » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:34 am

I haven't played enough to afford either of these, but i would have hoped the answer would be to have both.
Once you have either one of these more powerful ships , doen't your earning capacity just jump though the roof?
so credits are not such an issue any more?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:02 am

Mollymawk wrote:I haven't played enough to afford either of these, but i would have hoped the answer would be to have both.
Once you have either one of these more powerful ships , doen't your earning capacity just jump though the roof?
so credits are not such an issue any more?

Nah, getting the python is where your earnings capacity jump through the roof.
You then get an fdl to have something nippier in res sites.
But for BH you honestly arent doing much better than with a vulture.

And get dd 5 on a python it can go like stink as well.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Python vs FDL

Postby evovi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:52 pm

The Python as above is truly an amazing ship - I can haul over 160t of cargo, jump nearly 26ly fully laden, carry surface scanner, 5a fuel scoop and twin srv bays all this multi role ability and it still kicks ass when interdicted - suddenly you can take 6, 7 or mb more missions from the board mix it up and come back with millions of credits and hour

Yeah mines now engineered but before aside from jump range it still was able to hold its own in combat - no sweat at all, it's now got resistance augmented boosters so damage is reduced greatly... It gets easier and easier to fly as you tweak it :) 400ms boost as well :)

I will say tho, my current build is nearly 160m credits so not cheap

Oh! And it's got a boy racer tail spoiler and front nose extensions - looks do kill!

Return to “General Discussion”