Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Opinion: "Best" Large Combat Ship?

Postby StaticRadion » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:16 pm

So I have been gone for a while and I am out of the loop. I am just jumping into Engineers after spending the last week getting back in the swing. I already owned both the Corvette and an Anaconda, but since returning the Corvette feels like flying a moon while the Conda feels more responsive. I remember the opposite experience before leaving the game and I am really confused at this point. So the questions are, has the large ship meta switched away from the Corvette to the Anaconda, which of the large ships is "best", and why?

Keep in mind that I use 2 large Advanced Plasma Accelerators as my main weapons on the Anaconda. With 4 pips in weapons un modified they have a 100% up time and a DPS of 40 meaning I can run 4 pips in systems or engines till my weapons are drained then refill. Any recommendations should have better DPS or at least better say maneuverability.

Edit: Changed "your favorite" to "best" in the last sentence of the first paragraph.
Last edited by StaticRadion on Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orkekum
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orkekum

Re: Opinion: "Best" Large Combat Ship?

Postby Orkekum » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:30 pm

i like my condas. but larhe. there are only two combat ships.

anaconda and corvette.

Trinity Star
Master
Master
CMDR: Trinity Star
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Trinity Star » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:47 pm

A corvette with lv5 dirty drive tuning runs rings around an anaconda and can dogfight small fast ships.

Orkekum
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orkekum

Postby Orkekum » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:04 pm

thing is, anaconda is half the money and does not require rank, and has more pure DPS

Sevin Church
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Sevin Church

Postby Sevin Church » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:25 pm

If you don't want to RNGineer or even grind rank for the Vette, Conda is king. But conda can still be outclassed by ships with engineer upgrades.

Personally I use my Vette, it's built to be a pure warship. Conda is more multipurpose.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:43 pm

Trinity Star wrote:A corvette with lv5 dirty drive tuning runs rings around an anaconda and can dogfight small fast ships.

Who needs to?

Deploy fighter, tell it to engage target and go make a sandwich.

Then I kill eagles fine with my vette, granted I have dirty lvl 3, but the manoeuvrability boost is negligible.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert

Postby StaticRadion » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Trinity Star wrote:A corvette with lv5 dirty drive tuning runs rings around an anaconda and can dogfight small fast ships.

This is a good point and I was curious about it, but I have you actually done testing yourself? The reason I ask is because lvl5 dirty drives with the standard 29% optimal on the Corvette offer numbers like 38°/s 9.6s, 101°/s 3.6s, 11°/s 33s while the number on my Conda look like 37°/s 9.7s, 89°/s 4.0s, 15°/s 24s. Sure the Corvette has hands down better roll but the yaw speed on the Conda when upgraded is actually neat especially for me using fixed weapons for my primaries.

Maneuverability is really important to me but my other problem with the Corvette is that the extra Huge hardpoint does not seem to add the damage I think it should especially when the Large on the underside is very difficult to use. What kind of weapons do you run on the Corvette?

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert

Postby StaticRadion » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:59 pm

TorTorden wrote:

Who needs to?

Deploy fighter, tell it to engage target and go make a sandwich.

Then I kill eagles fine with my vette, granted I have dirty lvl 3, but the manoeuvrability boost is negligible.

Glad you joined the conversation Tor, help a brother out. When I fly I like to drift and I love the FDL but the way you fly corvette is surgical and sterile in my opinion it does not have the whip I feel in the Conda. Will engineer drives make the Corvette really that much more superior to the Conda? Also what weapons do you use on your Corvette and what is the hump range?

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert

Postby StaticRadion » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:06 am

Orkekum wrote:thing is, anaconda is half the money and does not require rank, and has more pure DPS

I own both, my Corvette is worth over 450 mill and I had Post Commander in 1.0 when it was super hard to get and Rear Admiral super fast when it was available. Just saying one has more DPS than the other does help but from the OP you should have guessed that I can calculate out DPS numbers with E:D shipyard like everyone else. I value your opinion but "best" needs to be quantified and two of the three things you mentioned were covered in the OP.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:22 am

Checkout the new version of Coriolis, it seems to have the most up to date ship info.

The Vette is (on paper) slightly faster and slightly more manoeuvrable than the Conda, and to me at least it feels that way.

The Vette has 25% stronger shields, the three class 7 slots allows you to have both the largest shields, the class 7 SLF hanger (allowing you to carry 30 fighters) and the class 7 SCB, whilst still leaving room for scoops, SRVs, hull reinforcement, etc

Yes the Conda does marginally more DPS, but two huge multi-cannons are devastating when your target's shields are down.

The down side of the Vette is its jump range.

To me both are great combat ships when correctly configured, but the Vette wins out for being more combat focused, whilst the Conda is more multi-role.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Return to “General Discussion”