Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
NivMizzet13
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Niv Mizzet
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Best situational Weapons Mods

Postby NivMizzet13 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:58 pm

So with the Engineers having been out a good while, I'm sure some other CMDRs would also like to know people's opinions on which types of mods suit which situations. For me, I like flying around in a Corvette, with the two huge hard points being a Gimballed Beam and Multi-cannon. The rest are turretted Burst Lasers. I fly the ship like a armoured turtle, going for damage over speed/weight. It's quite fun, esp when I can switch to my fighter if I have the need for speed.

I'm curious to know what weapons mods you guys think would be best for these weapons. Given the speed of the Corvette, I've had lasers modded to short-range, and the multi to overcharged corrosive shell.

I recently tried the 'rapid fire' mod, but found the jitter to be too inaccurate despite 8A sensors. Should I return to short-range mods, or does anyone else have any suggestions?

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Best situational Weapons Mods

Postby Loriath » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:46 pm

I run all gimballed Mluti Cannons except for 2 Medium Turreted Beams. They are all standard, but in Beta I messed with Rapid Fire Multis with a Mix of Corrosive and Incediary. With the Beams I went Light Weight and Thermal Vent. This combination was DEADLY for me. It is what I plan to go for eventually on the Vette.

Chewing Hull on ships with the beta layout was like watching the countdown to jumping to Hyperspace. The hull numbers would go down THAT fast.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:39 am

Loriath wrote:I run all gimballed Mluti Cannons except for 2 Medium Turreted Beams. They are all standard, but in Beta I messed with Rapid Fire Multis with a Mix of Corrosive and Incediary. With the Beams I went Light Weight and Thermal Vent. This combination was DEADLY for me. It is what I plan to go for eventually on the Vette.

Chewing Hull on ships with the beta layout was like watching the countdown to jumping to Hyperspace. The hull numbers would go down THAT fast.

As Lori says - I was there when these load outs were used.. NPC's, regardless of what ship they're in..go poof in seconds. I would guess that something will get nerfed soon so keep an eye on the FD forums.. ;)

o7 Dawg
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:57 am

Yep in Beta on the Python I was running with 3 x gimballed Multis... 2 x Grade 5 Overcharged......1 x Corrosive...1 x Emissive and 1 x Grade 5 lightweight with incendiary....

2 x Gimballed beams....Grade 5 lightweight 1 x Thermal shock and 1 x Thermal vent......

Not a lot survived longer than 5 secs with the "Team" about and that includes wings.....

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:02 am

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Yep in Beta on the Python I was running with 3 x gimballed Multis... 2 x Grade 5 Overcharged......1 x Corrosive...1 x Emissive and 1 x Grade 5 lightweight with incendiary....

2 x Gimballed beams....Grade 5 lightweight 1 x Thermal shock and 1 x Thermal vent......

Not a lot survived longer than 5 secs with the "Team" about and that includes wings.....

:D

Python with Kharmas loadout options.. incredible damage dealer!!! :shock:
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

Craps
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Craps

Postby Craps » Mon May 22, 2017 3:23 pm

I like Kharmas loadout on his Python.......going to load mine like that and see how it does. So...got the goods on the Python and the FDL.....on to seeing what can be done with my Corvette. It is loaded with Pulse and multis....Grade 3 is all I have in her.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon May 22, 2017 9:09 pm

I'd probably drop the overcharged and efficient now and go with rapid fire on all the multi's

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Mon May 22, 2017 10:43 pm

Personally, I don't like turrets. Too much DPS loss for my taste, but that's just me. I point my Vette in the general area of ships and kill them. I want to interact.... if it's only for a few seconds.... with the NPC before he dies, rather than doing something else while a set of turrets kills something that I may not even be able to see. Again.... just my opinion.

On my Vette, after many many many many hours of testing loadouts and tons of different engineer mods, I run 2 huge M/C's, G5 rapid fire (nearly identical DPS to overcharged - if that's your preferred flavor- but the rapids give much quicker reloads), one with corrosive, and 5 G5 efficient beams (G5 overcharge pulse is a close runner-up). That's the setup that works the best for me, day in and day out. I play with Huge PA's from time to time, but for fast kills its the beam and m/c setup every time.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Craps
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Craps

Postby Craps » Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 pm

Kind of confused here.....I love my multis.....just that if I go with the rapid fire mod I lose damage percent.....if I go with sturdy mounts....I create a huge amount of mass but raise my armour piercing by 45%. And overcharge eats too much power.......I guess a blend of different mods will work best. And if I get effects make sure they are all different

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Wed May 24, 2017 11:02 am

Yes, the damage is reduced on rapid fire, but don't forget that it's firing far more shells in the same amount of time. In real world testing, a friend and I found that actual damage over time of rapid fire m/c is nearly identical to overcharged m/c. The slight advantage goes to rapid fire for the quick reloads.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “General Discussion”