The Thrill is Gone

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: The Thrill is Gone

Postby smartroad » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:30 am

I can relate to it, I am burning out myself. I may play from time to time with Lor and Co. but I am planing to restart Witcher 3 again and actually try to finish it this time!
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

AJH
Competent
Competent
CMDR: AJH

Postby AJH » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:49 pm

I can understand that. I'm not there with ED yet, though I've been playing much less due to my time commitments to leading a large guild in World of Warcraft, but I've been there many times in WoW. I've been playing WoW as my primary game on and off for around 10 years. I've been active for at least 8 of those years and have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 days of actual time playing the game.

It's changed far more in that time and has a lot of advantages over ED in terms of interacting with others, but even with that, I've had times where I had to take a break from it. It's good to experiment and try different things and as much as we may love one particular thing, if we do it too much, we get bored and want to try other things. I know a few people who have stayed constantly in WoW the whole time and have thousands of days played, but those people are the vast exception (so much so that last year Bliz actually sent custom statue figures to everyone that had actually been playing for 10 years straight without interruption, it was small enough of a number to be able to do that).

Sorry to hear that your Rift didn't have enough content to keep you interested. I know that ED is the only controller based game I play with any regularity, so I can totally understand the loss of interest. If I didn't have touch controllers and roomscale I wouldn't be using VR anymore either. Depending on when Touch is actually releasing, you may find it worth waiting for as the interactivity is really where VR shines. VR without motion controls isn't VR. Oculus was idiots for shipping without it, but their obsession with being first to market and then downplaying the stupidity of their decision really hurt the VR industry as a whole by leaving a bad taste in people's mouths.

That said, I'm not playing VR every day, but again, that's mostly from being busy with WoW which I haven't been able to get VR to work well for. I still seem to be playing with it atleast once or twice a week for 2 to 4 hours each time (I took a month off because I broke my elbow which is just finishing healing now, but I am excited to get back into more VR now that I can actually play again.) It's been probably 3 or 4 months since I played a gamepad based game in VR and I really have minimal interest in any of them. It's all about the interactive games like Audioshield, Raw Data, Space Pirate Trainer, Solaris Project, Hordez, Serious Sam VR, Holopoint, Adr1ft and then when I have a larger amount of time I can sink in it, I come back to doing Elite VR, but most of my Elite time has been working on the rank grind in the background while in WoW.

Anyway, good luck in deciding what to do next whatever you end up doing and hope to see you back in the future if/when the bug to blow up some space pirates returns.

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:05 pm

I understand that too. I keep coming back to the 'only thing' for me to do is support a minor faction to try to flip the system or see them expand. You have to do a lot of different things to make that happen, but doing them feels more like work than having fun playing a space game, which is how it used to feel. It actually reminds me that getting into space isn't going to make things better...we're just going to take our problems as a species from Earth to space. :(

And then there is Witcher 3. 240hrs and I'm almost done. I still have to play Fallout 4. Civ VI is here (25th). Plus I'm trying BF1 until I get tired of the cheating.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:19 pm

To some earlier comments, Star Citizen is playable now, they've fixed *some* bugs in the latest alpha, but there's not a ton to do there. It's very demo-sized, like the old 3.5" disks that used to come in computer magazines. It holds the promise of a very excellent game, but it's not there yet.

I think this weekend you can fly (probably a very small ship) for free just by making an account and downloading all 20+ gigs of it if you want to check it out, but trust me, there's more to do in Elite at the moment. That said, I've been doing stuff in Elite for about a year now, so I definitely take breaks from it, and I did play a lot of SC this weekend (they were letting everyone fly all flight-ready ships this last weekend, so that was kind of neat... some of them are so huge on the inside that I got lost in them, despite the fact that all of the non-capital ships are half the size or less of what you may think of as equivalent ships in Elite.... the Constellation Andromeda is smaller than a Python, but it seems huge in SC.)

I've disappeared for months for Fallout 4, and I will probably do the same for Mass Effect Andromeda and Red Dead Redemption 2 when they come out, but I always miss flying eventually, and right now, Elite is there for that, Star Citizen only has about 10 things for you to do over and over at the moment.

Cmdr Chemtrail
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Brassik

Postby Cmdr Chemtrail » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:42 pm

Firstly, 23 months wow! That is a long time without burnout. I salute you Sir o7
The longest I played a game without a break was just over a year and that was Planetside 2 from alpha squad through release to its first anniversary.

Take as long as it takes. The game will still be here should you venture back. In addition you'll probably get that noob feeling all over again.

I cant help you with a VR game, but if Space is your thing then X3 Albion Prelude and Freespace 2 are both worth a look at if you see them on offer.
X3 AP Combat, trading, war, crate your own fleets or your own multi billion trading company etc.
Freespace 2 takes a bit of work to get running on today's pc's but is a little gem.

Enjoy your break

Golem
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Cmdr GolemXIV

Postby Golem » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:55 pm

I still play NBA 2k15, Mass Effect and The Division. I like my now heavily modified Conda in ED, but i am no friend from the engineers or silly PP. The game has no good story line so far and relies completly on the players giving it some content at all. But the game is still a work in progress so i still got hope.

But anyway i enlist to SC in early november and i fear if SC ever gets out it will kick ED´s ass if Frontier isn´t changeging a lot to the content of the game.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Loriath wrote:I will say this, ED is much better as a Multi-Player experience. I don't mean playing and seeing other commanders, I mean a regular group like the A-Team. We could be playing any game and it would be better because of it. ooooo Multi Player Solitaire! YES! *Searches Steam*

:P

And you can fuck right off with that idea.......

:lol:

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:10 pm

@IronDuke
I was too, until I read that SC may still not be ready, other than basically as a demo.

@Walter
No, he still needs to worry - I don't want him messing up seasons 3 & 4! :twisted:

@GlobusDiablo
Yeah, I suppose I really lost interest sometime between Horizons and RNGineers. But now I can't even pop in for 5 minutes w/o my throttle disconnecting.

@Darr Valen
Yup - one month in premium beta and 22 months since release. I played American Truck Simulator for 3 nights, but couldn't stand setting up the wheel and taking it down for ED. I understand it may support VR, so maybe I should take my space trucking to the highway. I'm really looking forward to see what ED does with seasons 3 & 4. By that time, it will be like playing a completely new game. :D

@Loriath
I'm afraid if I don't clear my save soon, I may not have the balls to do it in the future. I have the lifetime pass, so testing things in beta shouldn't be a problem.

@AJH
Yeah - only about 2 months to controllers in hand. If I still haven't found VR worthwhile (outside of ED) I can probably still sell the setup before Christmas and not take too much of a loss. But I'm sure I'll probably find something to do before then.

Damn - just saw Mobius' post about splitting the group again. :cry: If that's the way it has to be, then I'm almost certainly going to play in open. If some griefer wants to blow me up, I won't care - it's just a game. Hopefully FD will have fixed their broken group system by the time I get back and we're one big happy family again. But just about everybody I played with back in the early days doesn't play anymore, and I hardly see any other commanders anymore. So I think playing in open, with a new attitude, may be the best way to not feel like I'm playing in solo. Or maybe stick to Mobius, but try to do more CGs or move to more populated systems with a strong player faction. Oh well, I still expect to wait at least until after season 3 drops (whatever and whenever that's going to be), so there's plenty of time to come up with a plan.

Cheers! :)

And thanks for the game tips.
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “General Discussion”