Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:10 pm

Sunrider wrote:WOW! :shock: OK, I'll try it. I've just been cutting / pasting to use bookmarks myself, but if I can come up with a system with the joystick, I am deffinately in! Thanks Thor, err Bob, err TorTorden. :)

It takes a bit to get used to, think I spent about a two to three weeks to get used to it, and a few months to get really comfortable with it.

I also remember using friend and ship markers as a training method.
I would try to manually find and select these specific systems, helped get a feel for the somewhat tricky zoom\height window.

The dot's on the grid you need to select only show within a small radius of the system, so you need to be fairly zoomed in on the map, and at the approximate height, and pannign speed is tied in with level of zoom, so to be able to pan a few hundred LY you need to zoom out, then pan the marker to the general area, zoom in, adjust pan, zoom in some more, repeat.

So yea, it takes a bit getting used to, but once you have a set of bindings that work and get used to it, you can be almost as quick as with mouse and keyboard, and if you include the time needed to fumble around for the keyboard much faster.

Then again I play ED exclusively in VR, be it trading, fighting, exploration, long distance SRV treks etc. Still can't get enough of it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Sunrider
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Amonoa Sunrider

Postby Sunrider » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:23 pm

I guess if I could master touch typing I would too. But I am a hunt and peck typist, and with all the commands, you need to see the keyboard for a lot of fine tuned stuff. But fighting, (Which I suck at, but not so much in VR) and long trips, I like the Rift for. Too bad they don't have like macro buttons at the bottom you could reach like menus. That would be handy with the rift. Bottom line though, I'm definitely going to rework the map controls, never cared for them anyways.
Thanks again,
Bob
"See you, ... out there."
Cmdr Amonoa Sunrider

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Touch typing ...

Postby thebs » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 am

Sunrider wrote:I guess if I could master touch typing I would too. But I am a hunt and peck typist, and with all the commands, you need to see the keyboard for a lot of fine tuned stuff.

It honestly only takes a few weeks to pick-up, and there are plenty of programs out there that make it easy.

But you have to take it honestly and seriously, forcing yourself not to look at all, de-programming yourself from those habits. But once you do that, you will find you'll not only touch-type, but type much faster as a result.

Get a program, and then try doing all your e-mail with a keyboard that has the letters rubbed off, forcing yourself to never look down. After a few weeks, you'll be over your bad habits.

This is how I've approached everything I wanted to learn ... 10-key, RPN**, etc... -- force myself to do things I have to a few times with the new method, and soon, I'm doing it without thinking.

► Show Spoiler
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:56 am

No program needed.
Just go to https://www.typingclub.com it's a full program and hundreds of 'lessons'.
I may be perfectly comfortable typing blind, but I'm a fairly poor typist to be honest, only averaging around 55wpm.

Also in an absolute pinch.
I can use unified remote on my phone and look down my nose gap and send typed text to the pc via that.

Of course does require a smartphone, but I'm sure they have a version for both android and iOS, if not windows.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Ready Eagle
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Ready Eagle

Postby Ready Eagle » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:59 pm

lol typing... no VR for me if I have to buy stuff and type!.. ;)

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Well that's Delphyne the Python all Engineered up for the moment (well until I unlock Broo and Didi), Lv5 DDs, Lv5 Thermal Res Shields, 3 x Lv5 Rapid fire Multis, Lv5 FSD, everything else at Lv3, efficient beams with vent.

Flies like a vulture, kills like an FDL, with room for cargo, passengers, SRV and scoop.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Just asking........

Where the fook did you get them pharmaceutical thingys.......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Just asking........

Some random system in outbreak. And a high grade uss.

Don't remember the name but I'm still docked there, just finishing dinner.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Xebeth wrote:Well that's Delphyne the Python all Engineered up for the moment (well until I unlock Broo and Didi), Lv5 DDs, Lv5 Thermal Res Shields, 3 x Lv5 Rapid fire Multis, Lv5 FSD, everything else at Lv3, efficient beams with vent.

How bad is the jitter on the multis? I have three large gimballed MC overcharged L5 (corrosive/2xincendiary), which make nice holes in shields and hulls, but the spin-up and reload times are annoying.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Just asking........

Independent systems in outbreak, just hang around about 1000ls from the star and look out for High Grade Emission USSs, got 15 from the first one that popped up
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Return to “General Discussion”