CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby TorTorden » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:27 am

Dear god so much blue neon !

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:06 pm

o7MJ wrote:
JohnLuke wrote:
Cometborne wrote:
A CNB like Aerial is better for the kill grinding, as you will get more small Elite-ranked ships that you can kill faster.

Yup, Comet is exactly right. For your current focus of gaining combat rank, going to a CNB and seeking out Deadly and Elite NPC's to kill is your best bet.

Thank you both for the help, if I had known about the CNB's I'd be Elite a long time ago. Took me only a few hours to get the last 11% in my FDL killing only Elite & Deadly enemies. For anyone else who have read countless threads about how to get the most amount of points towards combat ranks that includes enemy ranks, enemy ships, your ship etc. Ignore it all and only focus on enemy rank. And ofcorse CNB seems to be THE place for em. Cheers again o7

Congrats CMDR o7

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby LeDoyen » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:10 pm

i remember that page that gives how many points you score depending on your rank and your target's rank :
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Combat

I have been "competent for over a year now, just not doing much combat besides killing the harmless interdictors i get on a regular basis.. was at like 18%..
When i joined Mobius a few days ago, i had a go at Hazres with a fellow Cmdr and went straight to over 80% on my rank in just a few visits, just because of how high ranked the targets were :)

(It also shows that those high rank gankers actually get no benefit at all from killing new players)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:15 pm

LeDoyen wrote:i remember that page that gives how many points you score depending on your rank and your target's rank :
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Combat

I have been "competent for over a year now, just not doing much combat besides killing the harmless interdictors i get on a regular basis.. was at like 18%..
When i joined Mobius a few days ago, i had a go at Hazres with a fellow Cmdr and went straight to over 80% on my rank in just a few visits, just because of how high ranked the targets were :)

(It also shows that those high rank gankers actually get no benefit at all from killing new players)

I actually think pvp kills give no rank regardless of victims rank.
If it did you would probably end up with elite players selling themselves to be killed on eBay so you can get that elite rank.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Still trying to get my Admiral rank in the Fed Navy. So running missions.
Spent a few hours trying to hunt pirates using my intradictor. For some reason the mission targets don't spawn in res sites or nav beacons. Finished on mission but gave up on the second one cause it was time to hit the bar and get a drink.
Been having a blast fitting Lady Jayne (my Python) with fixed multis and a size 5 bi-weave shields with G5 thermal resistance.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

Ranger Captain
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Ranger Captain

Postby Ranger Captain » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:35 am

Grinding out Ranks as well in Wu Guinagi/Hip 10716 for the Imperial Cutter. Currently at Viscount (Rank 8/12 needed) It has been at least profitable even with donation missions in my workhorse Python despite the monotony of the grind.

Rylo Ken
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Rylo Ken

Postby Rylo Ken » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:28 am

OH.MY.WORD!!
So.... Spent the afternoon/evening finishing off the Sirius grind. Finally got 'em to allied. Got the permit and flew straight to Sirius. Got the Qwent engineer mission straightaway. Completed the mission. Flew out to Wu Guinagi and ran some data missions for about an hour until I had 25 (28) Mod Terminals (got all 25 in about 50 minutes actually). Unlocked Qwent and spammed him with G1 rolls until I got the Palin and Jameson messages.

Palin requires 5k LY from start... meh.
No biggie, I'll unlock Jameson. I need her for various things. Oh... My.... her system is permitted. Performs googlefu to find out how to get the permit. YOU.HAVE.GOT.TO.BE.KIDDING.ME!!!! Have to be ELITE in something. So I have 2 1/2 months of play time in the game. I AM 28% deadly for combat and 22% pioneer for exploration. Not even close in trade.

The grind is real, y'all.

RK

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:01 am

o7MJ wrote:
JohnLuke wrote:
Cometborne wrote:
A CNB like Aerial is better for the kill grinding, as you will get more small Elite-ranked ships that you can kill faster.

Yup, Comet is exactly right. For your current focus of gaining combat rank, going to a CNB and seeking out Deadly and Elite NPC's to kill is your best bet.

Thank you both for the help, if I had known about the CNB's I'd be Elite a long time ago. Took me only a few hours to get the last 11% in my FDL killing only Elite & Deadly enemies. For anyone else who have read countless threads about how to get the most amount of points towards combat ranks that includes enemy ranks, enemy ships, your ship etc. Ignore it all and only focus on enemy rank. And ofcorse CNB seems to be THE place for em. Cheers again o7

Congratulations on your Elite combat rank o7MJ, still a very long way away for me. Also thank you for the CNB tip, and by extension thank you to JohnLuke and Comet too. I spend ages this last month getting from Expert 20% to Master in a HazRes, but this morning gained 5% in just an hour. Only taking on Elite and Deadly ships and nothing larger than a Python/FDL, while ignoring wings, I still had a steady flow of targets. Top tip people.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:31 am

Rylo Ken wrote:Palin requires 5k LY from start... meh.

If you have an AspX, Conda, or even a DBX with decent FSD, 5k LY is nothing. You can get 50+ LY range out of those, so in theory, you need 20 jumps per kylie, or 100 jumps in total. In practice, it will probably be 110 or 120 jumps, depending on star density. The rule of thumb is that you can do a jump a minute except in the DBX with its undersized scoop, so this will take about two hours to travel out until you get the Palin invite. At this point, either self-destruct or travel back for another two hours. I recommend travelling back, landing at one of the two alien wrecks with UA to collect your 25 fragments, and then travelling to Palin. "Hello Professor, here are your 25 UF <relog> And here are a couple million in exploration data".

Rylo Ken wrote:YOU.HAVE.GOT.TO.BE.KIDDING.ME!!!! Have to be ELITE in something. So I have 2 1/2 months of play time in the game. I AM 28% deadly for combat and 22% pioneer for exploration. Not even close in trade.

You do not have to be Elite, having Founder status also works (ducks the hail of rotten fruit)

The rule of thumb is that Deadly to Elite requires about 2500 kills of Dangerous/Deadly/Elite enemies, so you have 1800 kills to go.

Trading Elite requires about a billion in trade profits, or mission payouts. I boosted myself from 30ish% Tycoon to trade Elite by doing the Ram Tah mission twice before they nerfed the bonus. You will probably have to do it 6-7 times.

Exploration Elite promotion at Pioneer used to be about 1.000.000 credits of exploration data per percentage point, since the payout increase of 2.3, it is 2.000.000 credits in exploration data per percentage points. You need 78%, so about 156 million. Sightseeing passenger mission payouts count half for exploration Elite, so you need about 300 million in passenger missions.

Rylo Ken wrote:The grind is real, y'all.

Pick your poison.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

o7MJ
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Mobediah Jones

Postby o7MJ » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:40 am

DarkMere wrote:Congratulations on your Elite combat rank o7MJ, still a very long way away for me. Also thank you for the CNB tip, and by extension thank you to JohnLuke and Comet too. I spend ages this last month getting from Expert 20% to Master in a HazRes, but this morning gained 5% in just an hour. Only taking on Elite and Deadly ships and nothing larger than a Python/FDL, while ignoring wings, I still had a steady flow of targets. Top tip people.

Yeah, I had been doing regular HazRes runs myself with both my FDL and Corvette attacking mostly big ships with high ranks, due to something I read about enemy ship types doing a crucial role with ranking points. So my way of thinking became Master Federal Drop Ship > Deadly Eagle and the likes, couldn't be more wrong. Maybe that was the right way before but sure isn't anymore. Glad you found this out pretty early on unlike me. Good luck on your mission to Elite and I'll see you at Shinrarta Dezhra.

PS: Thanks everyone for the congratulations.

Return to “General Discussion”