Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
DJ_Mega
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: DJ_Mega
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby DJ_Mega » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:55 pm

Right now I am rebuilding my wealth after being popped by SDC in open play (never enter game half awake you might click the wrong play mode) and wondering who did the math on my credit payouts since I had 300k and was paid 700k and some how only now have 900k.

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:43 am

I managed to lose my ship twice in a few days. It cost me about 20M CR in rebuys.

A bottle of Lagavulin may have been involved.

The first instance was on 3304-08-16. I came out of a combat against Thargoid Scouts in Magec with about 11% hull remaining on my FdL. I dropped back out of SC to burn off the caustic goo, but was a little overzealous in heating up my ship. I almost got back down below 100% heating before the last 1% of hull disappeared. :(

The second instance was three days later. I was in the Ling Deti Haz-RES, getting bounties for the Order. I came across a wing of three ships attacking an innocent OoM miner. They were high-level, but I figured that with Corvette and my fighter I could take them because the miner would help. I almost succeeded, but lost my FSD at one point and failed to get it rebooted before my hull was destroyed.

The worst part was that my crewperson Izabella Potter was killed. She sacrificed her life for the Order. I hired Izabella back in December. She had previously worked as a trader, and was at Dillon Hub in 51 Arietis, looking for work. I hired her, despite her ranking of Harmless. I had recently been promoted to Dangerous. We worked well together, and were both promoted to Deadly during her tenure.

My replacement Corvette has been named in her honor, and will be painted black for a suitable mourning period. You can be sure that I'll be spending time in Ling Deti, looking to repay Stewart W. Forgie and his Anaconda.

My new crewperson, Mariela Wagner, has big shoes to fill. It may be my imagination, but when I hear her voice on comms it sounds exactly like Izabella's.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

Tifu
Master
Master
CMDR: Tifu

Postby Tifu » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:42 am

Getting my feet wet in ED again after a long absence. Got to simplify my fleet - will probably trade in my Cobra mk3 and just upgrade my Dolphin which is a sweet little passenger ship and a money maker.

unranked
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Akemi Homura

Postby unranked » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:31 pm

I was farming the Ngalinn - Mainani stuff all afternoon, being excited about the upcoming CG today...

So I just went to Betel with a Cobra, checking out what the CG is like... I choose a low intensity CZ, and it wasn't what I expected, to say the least. Since I'm pretty new to the game in general, and especially combat, I got murdered once. I went back, helped the NPCs kill two ships (Vulture and a Cobra I think), didn't get a thing, so then I bailed with 53% hull. I guess CZ doesn't work the same way as REZ?

I kinda wanna still participate though, but I only have about 30m CR, and two ships I could sell, well three, a Type-6 and two Cobras. (two because I built one for this CG, but the jumprange was horrible so I went to Betel in my DBX, only to find out that transferring the ship would take 36 minutes, so in my infinite wisdom, I spent about 40 minutes to buy and outfit a second Cobra... it's great to be a noob....)

Anyway, I have access to purchase an Imperial Courier, and I was wondering if that'd make some miracle for me to withstand in a conflict zone. Or maybe I could squeeze out a Vulture, but considering the rebuy cost, that might not be a good idea.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:08 pm

unranked wrote:So I just went to Betel with a Cobra, checking out what the CG is like... I choose a low intensity CZ, and it wasn't what I expected, to say the least. Since I'm pretty new to the game in general, and especially combat, I got murdered once. I went back, helped the NPCs kill two ships (Vulture and a Cobra I think), didn't get a thing, so then I bailed with 53% hull. I guess CZ doesn't work the same way as REZ?

CZ's are tough. They don't call it war for nothing.

This guide may help get you going though.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8071
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:13 am

CZ are very low pay.. if your ship and your skills aren't up to the task you'll just end up burning credits.
Best thing to do is to try it in a wing after reading the little guide up above :)
Having experienced players with big guns to cover your mistakes certainly helps survivability while you get used to that pew-pew mess.

unranked
Harmless
Harmless

Postby unranked » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:11 am

JohnLuke wrote:CZ's are tough. They don't call it war for nothing.

This guide may help get you going though.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8071

Thank you! That's pretty helpful indeed, I also watched some videos about CZs, so now I actually have some understanding of the mechanics.

LeDoyen wrote:CZ are very low pay.. if your ship and your skills aren't up to the task you'll just end up burning credits.
Best thing to do is to try it in a wing after reading the little guide up above :)
Having experienced players with big guns to cover your mistakes certainly helps survivability while you get used to that pew-pew mess.

Yup, I'm pretty sure the little Cobra isn't suited for fighting Pythons and Vultures. Outside of a little bit of bounty hunting, I have next to no real combat experience, so my skills are not up to it, for sure.
I have very mixed feelings about leeching... just letting someone else take out the baddies for me, will teach me nothing.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:26 am

Pythons.
Sure.
Vultures perhaps not.

I could also recommend trying a viper mk3 instead of the cobra.
A bit more manouverable and same weapon slot, 2 small and 2 medium as the cobra.
But much tighter grouping.

Also much cheaper than a cobra.

And as they teach you in the army.
Stay with your group and try to look less important.
Gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:21 am

unranked wrote:
JohnLuke wrote:I have very mixed feelings about leeching... just letting someone else take out the baddies for me, will teach me nothing.

i didn't have leeching in mind, more like having them tell and show how they go about picking targets in a CZ, and having them cover your back in case you get in too much trouble.
You do the kills.. with an extra insurance behind you

unranked
Harmless
Harmless

Postby unranked » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:08 pm

TorTorden wrote:I could also recommend trying a viper mk3 instead of the cobra.
A bit more manouverable and same weapon slot, 2 small and 2 medium as the cobra.
But much tighter grouping.

Also much cheaper than a cobra.

I was wondering about that, and the Eagle/Imperial Eagle too. I'm in the (likely wrong) mindset that bigger is usually better...

TorTorden wrote:And as they teach you in the army.
Stay with your group and try to look less important.
Gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.

Fair!

LeDoyen wrote:i didn't have leeching in mind, more like having them tell and show how they go about picking targets in a CZ, and having them cover your back in case you get in too much trouble.
You do the kills.. with an extra insurance behind you

My bad! I had all those people asking for a carry in mind.
The video I watched last night explained it well enough, fortunately, and that written guide is also very helpful. Besides... I'd be pretty nervous in a group situation :oops: and would mess up things...

Return to “General Discussion”