Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:08 pm

Just to add to Cometborne comments, if you can't or don't want to manually work out coordinates, use this tool. It'll give you a bearing to head for based on where you currently are:
http://www.hotdoy.ca/ed/bearing/

Ready Eagle
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Ready Eagle

Postby Ready Eagle » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:08 pm

thebs wrote:
Ready Eagle wrote:yesterday I had this view over 3k light years above Coloina :)
the highest star my heavy engineered DBS could take me.
also now a new Pioneer with all that data :D

Totally awesome!

Once you cash in the exploration data, and get your name to any new discoveries, please do share the name of this system, and last few stars you took en route to this one. I'd love to visit it once I get back out to Colonia in a few weeks.

Or should I say "Mobia"? ;)

I should clarify I went I high as I could without anything extra, I was carting guns out to "Mobia" ;) . I was being careful, I had my trip from the bubble data on board to this location. (last trip I lost everything 2K out from Coloina, death by neutron :( ) I came out very, very high the entire way. my jump range is only 45.8. So you can do better with a better ship and not so much data to risk. But I will go out again with a stripped version, or my engineered ASP I will compare them when I get to Jacques.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:40 am

Ready Eagle wrote:
thebs wrote:
Ready Eagle wrote:yesterday I had this view over 3k light years above Coloina :)
the highest star my heavy engineered DBS could take me.
also now a new Pioneer with all that data :D

Totally awesome!
Once you cash in the exploration data, and get your name to any new discoveries, please do share the name of this system, and last few stars you took en route to this one. I'd love to visit it once I get back out to Colonia in a few weeks.
Or should I say "Mobia"? ;)

I should clarify I went I high as I could without anything extra, I was carting guns out to "Mobia" ;) . I was being careful, I had my trip from the bubble data on board to this location. (last trip I lost everything 2K out from Coloina, death by neutron :( ) I came out very, very high the entire way. my jump range is only 45.8. So you can do better with a better ship and not so much data to risk. But I will go out again with a stripped version, or my engineered ASP I will compare them when I get to Jacques.

Do you have a system to recommend? I'm also thinking about going down instead of up, and seeing how far I can go with a very, very light loadout. But I'm going to Mobia first, to 'drop off the goods.'

RD-83 wrote:Just to add to Cometborne comments, if you can't or don't want to manually work out coordinates, use this tool. It'll give you a bearing to head for based on where you currently are:
http://www.hotdoy.ca/ed/bearing/

Very nice tool. Great for people who cannot get used to matching the coordinates and vector with the long-lat on their own. Some people are good at geometry. Some are not. Some do much better with visual. Some can do without. People learn in different ways.

NOTE TO FRONTIER: No excuse that there shouldn't be a visual solution, let alone a tool-waypoint setter. We had it in the 20th century aircraft, let alone cheap units and inexpensive HUDs in the 2010s.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Nearby Nebula 'Asteroid Base' Tour?

Postby thebs » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:51 am

Pertanga wrote:Parked up in North America Sector CQ-Y d66. Found a station near Sadr, mooched about, sold my exploration data. I'm in the process of thinking about heading back, but I keep being distracted by just one more jump.

Okay ... if I was going to do a Nearby Nebula 'Asteroid Base' Tour, what ones would you guys recommend? I'm thinking of doing one before heading out to Colonia again.

Just browsing a few here, but don't feel like looking up all the locations in the EDSM 1-by-1.
- http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Asteroid_Base

Any good routes that hit a half-dozen ... or more?
And is anyone interested in joining me?

I'm thinking of doing it mid-July, sat July 11th to July 31st, spread over 3 weeks.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Re: Nearby Nebula 'Asteroid Base' Tour?

Postby Cometborne » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:56 am

thebs wrote:if I was going to do a Nearby Nebula 'Asteroid Base' Tour, what ones would you guys recommend? I'm thinking of doing one before heading out to Colonia again.

Just browsing a few here, but don't feel like looking up all the locations in the EDSM 1-by-1.

Most of the asteroid bases outside the bubbles are located in nebula, so take this handy reference diagram (click to enlarge)

And then use the EDSM advanced search to be able to simply click on an entry.

And then check my older post for a route proposal.

That route was created by plugging the 30 bases known at that time into CMDR Alot EDTS scripts, which include a TSP solver. Since you have some Linux boxes, you should give them a try.

Unfortunately, the complexity of this is O(n!), and even 30! is a lot, and we now have 37! known bases, so there are 1.3 * 10^43 possible routes. I eventually did 500 runs with the standard logic and 500 more runs with the simplified "nearest neighbour" logic, and parsed the results to select the route with the smallest total jump distance.

Flying that route took longer than expected due to the permit-locked sectors around the Witchhead and Orion nebulas. For Witchhead, feel free to use the back door at Synuefe KU-K C10-1 <-> Witch Head Sector HR-W D1-12, needs 18.6 LY jump range. However, the real issue was the transit from the Orion Nebula Tourist Center to Thor's Helmet Nebula. If I remember correctly, I eventually pulled back north through Witch Head Sector until I was back in Synuefe, and then plotted manually in a generally north-eastern direction until I was past all the Col X Sector permit locks. Details can be found in my public flight logs on EDSM.

And as I learned on the Local Sightseeing Tour, getting from Orion to California is also a PITA.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Re: Nearby Nebula 'Asteroid Base' Tour?

Postby Orochimaru » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:34 am

Cometborne wrote:
thebs wrote:if I was going to do a Nearby Nebula 'Asteroid Base' Tour, what ones would you guys recommend? I'm thinking of doing one before heading out to Colonia again.

Most of the asteroid bases outside the bubbles are located in nebula, so take this handy reference diagram (click to enlarge)

And then use the EDSM advanced search to be able to simply click on an entry.

And then check my older post for a route proposal.

That route was created by plugging the 30 bases known at that time into CMDR Alot EDTS scripts, which include a TSP solver. Since you have some Linux boxes, you should give them a try.

Unfortunately, the complexity of this is O(n!), and even 30! is a lot, and we now have 37! known bases, so there are 1.3 * 10^43 possible routes. I eventually did 500 runs with the standard logic and 500 more runs with the simplified "nearest neighbour" logic, and parsed the results to select the route with the smallest total jump distance.

Flying that route took longer than expected due to the permit-locked sectors around the Witchhead and Orion nebulas. For Witchhead, feel free to use the back door at Synuefe KU-K C10-1 <-> Witch Head Sector HR-W D1-12, needs 18.6 LY jump range. However, the real issue was the transit from the Orion Nebula Tourist Center to Thor's Helmet Nebula. If I remember correctly, I eventually pulled back north through Witch Head Sector until I was back in Synuefe, and then plotted manually in a generally north-eastern direction until I was past all the Col X Sector permit locks. Details can be found in my public flight logs on EDSM.

And as I learned on the Local Sightseeing Tour, getting from Orion to California is also a PITA.

Great info.
Thanks for sharing.
It opens my appetite for exploration. I am grinding for an ASPX for mining, trading and exploration.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Flying aimlessly around an ammonia world in the Pleiades Sector waiting for a UP to spawn :(
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:33 pm

Xebeth wrote:Flying aimlessly around an ammonia world in the Pleiades Sector waiting for a UP to spawn :(

Same :cry:

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:39 pm

RD-83 wrote:
Xebeth wrote:Flying aimlessly around an ammonia world in the Pleiades Sector waiting for a UP to spawn :(

Same :cry:

me three.

Christ! Gotta love (or not) the RNG. :x
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Rylo Ken
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Rylo Ken

Postby Rylo Ken » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:28 pm

Downloading it!! Havent played since December... Kinda excited to see what's going on 'round here.

RK

Return to “General Discussion”