What are you doing (ingame) now?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: RE: Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby thebs » Tue May 10, 2016 8:13 pm

TorTorden wrote:
thebs wrote:
Gorf wrote:I'm going to do a bit of testing with my son to see the conditions which yield a shared discoverer listing. I've scouted four undiscovered systems about 500ly from the bubble. As I already have elite explorer, I'm going to let him do the scans with me in or out of the systems, and with me in various places when the data is sold (out of system, in SC in-system, in-instance). I'll report back with whether it works as expected.

This is highly unlikely to happen in any game situation other than organised tourism such the A Team exploration run that is being planned.

I think the idea of doing this with his dad when he could be doing Battlefield with his mates is really bothering him, but he can't really say "no" otherwise he's sorting his own food out for the weekend. So if anyone fancies winging up and taking his place, I'm sure he'd appreciate it. :) 500ish ly from BZ Ceti...
So, this is what I've been pondering.

If you heard me talk about it earlier (I'm just a lowly Trailblazer), I've wanted to ...
- Wing up with 2-3 other guys
- We get to a system, we detail surface scan different portions of it (in 3-4 different directions)
- We move on to the next system

The idea is that we each ...
- Get various credits for surface scan different portions of the system, regardless of who turns in when

But my question has been, on the system itself, not the various, detailed surface scans (that were divvied up) ...
- Who gets credit for the system discovery?

And if it's still the "first guy" to cash it in, could that be solved by cashing in our scans, 1 page at a time, round-robin, so some systems get "distributed"? Or is there a way for a wing to "share" the system discovery?

I'm more interested in lots of detailed surface scans of planets, as there are often planets that are undiscovered, and we can all scan in different directions, even if the system is. But in the end, the system name would be nice to "distribute" too.

Well there is no discovery on systems. First or other wise.
What most consider to be the systems "cherry" to be popped is the first star you jump in on.

But the system itself has nothing to be discovered.
You can only scan and discover the stars and planets in a system.

Sorry, I meant "star" when I said "system."

Disclaimer: Please excuse any grammar, pathetic typos, or satanic versus known as "auto-correct" as this was posted via Tapatalk from my budget Honor 5X
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Re: What are you doing (ingame) now?

Postby Gorf » Tue May 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Oh, this is just fact-finding for me. With the big co-operative exploration jaunt planned, it's worth seeing how it really works a few hundred ly from home, and checked in advance. The participants don't want to do tens of thousands of ly only to find co-operative discoveries have been broken.

...and it's probably worth noting that "detailed surface scans" are necessary for the "discovered by" credit.

My understanding from the original wording of the wings update was that to share a discovery, both explorers need to be in the system during a detailed scan of a body. Only the first to sell the data gets the discovery bonus credits, but both CMDRs get their name against the discovery once the data is sold. One of the tests I have planned will check if both CMDRs need to sell the data before both get the credit. It's a bit ambiguous on that point, or whether they even need to be in the same instance/system at the point of sale.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Tue May 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Gorf wrote:Oh, this is just fact-finding for me. With the big co-operative exploration jaunt planned, it's worth seeing how it really works a few hundred ly from home, and checked in advance. The participants don't want to do tens of thousands of ly only to find co-operative discoveries have been broken.

...and it's probably worth noting that "detailed surface scans" are necessary for the "discovered by" credit.

My understanding from the original wording of the wings update was that to share a discovery, both explorers need to be in the system during a detailed scan of a body. Only the first to sell the data gets the discovery bonus credits, but both CMDRs get their name against the discovery once the data is sold. One of the tests I have planned will check if both CMDRs need to sell the data before both get the credit. It's a bit ambiguous on that point, or whether they even need to be in the same instance/system at the point of sale.

If I wasn't in the middle of the CGs, I'd offer myself. But if you haven't found anyone by Thursday, hit me up. I suspect you will.

Keep me in mind if you want to do the half-way tour as a result.

Disclaimer: Please excuse any grammar, pathetic typos, or satanic versus known as "auto-correct" as this was posted via Tapatalk from my budget Honor 5X
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 10, 2016 8:24 pm

thebs wrote:
Gorf wrote:Oh, this is just fact-finding for me. With the big co-operative exploration jaunt planned, it's worth seeing how it really works a few hundred ly from home, and checked in advance. The participants don't want to do tens of thousands of ly only to find co-operative discoveries have been broken.

If I wasn't in the middle of the CGs, I'd offer myself. But if you haven't found anyone by Thursday, hit me up. I suspect you will.

Keep me in mind if you want to do the half-way tour as a result.

Well pay me no heed.
I'm just posting during a netflix binge with beer and melted cheese so my brain is pretty much just, beer and melted cheese.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Sweets
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Sweetsaprik

Postby Sweets » Tue May 10, 2016 8:39 pm

I'm trying to do some cubeo runs to up my imperial rank, had to bugger off for a day to grind fed PP merits, and I'm trying to help with that fuel rat CG. Sold about a mil to a mil and a half worth of exdata to azrael, but about half of it was before the lockdown ended. :(

Did a ton of bounty hunting at the CNB in Ariel, and while only like 1/3 to 2/3 of it could be handed in at Rafferty's, I think I still ended up getting more collected/handed in in the time spent than if I'd been doing my BH in Azrael. But before the lockdown, and again now, I try to stack a bunch of apathaam missions whenever I'm within like 30ly.

Being lower level and broker than you guys means I also seem to have a much more split focus. So much to do.

KLED
Novice
Novice
CMDR: KLED

Postby KLED » Wed May 11, 2016 12:06 am

I just stored the Type-9 and bought an Imperial Courier to see what it was like playing with a Vive. I whizzed around a station for a while then went and found a planet to land on so I could drive the SRV a bit. It was the most unproductive hour of ED in a long time, but it was the coolest thing.

I was sitting on the floor with my HOTAS on a tiny coffee table so I need to find a small desk that I can use in my theatre until I move the Vive up to my usual gaming room. If I try to play again on the coffee table I think my spine will just give up and fall out.

Other than that, there and only about five and a half hours left of trading until I can get an Imperial Cutter. After that and a little more fund raising I'll try my hand at exploration for the first time.

OLd_Sarg
Competent
Competent
CMDR: White_Buffalo

Postby OLd_Sarg » Wed May 11, 2016 1:18 am

just got a promotion, not a big one but nice.
my Golden ASP is one sweet explorer :mrgreen:

robfm81
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ROBFM81
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby robfm81 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:46 am

First run in the Aerial CNB - like a CZ with more money. had 2x Conda's worth over 300k in the first 15 mins.... awsome stuff - going back today if anyone else partaking

:-)

If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is.

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Wed May 11, 2016 8:03 am

robfm81 wrote:First run in the Aerial CNB - like a CZ with more money. had 2x Conda's worth over 300k in the first 15 mins.... awsome stuff - going back today if anyone else partaking

:-)

I will be in Aerial CNB around 16:00 GMT + 3, plan to finish he last % for Elite status.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Wed May 11, 2016 10:52 am

OLd_Sarg wrote:just got a promotion, not a big one but nice.
my Golden ASP is one sweet explorer :mrgreen:

Congrats! :D

charlie2alpha wrote:I will be in Aerial CNB around 16:00 GMT + 3, plan to finish he last % for Elite status.

How close are you to Elite now, Charlie?
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “General Discussion”