Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Gamma open to all backers

Postby Neillm » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Seems like the game is going to get an influx of new players now....and after a few days in open play, we're probably going to get one too! :-)

Ceeege
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Ceeege

Re: Gamma open to all backers

Postby Ceeege » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:29 pm

That's great to get more players into ED, but if we only had a more visible way of advertising this group...

Not everyone who plays will head to the FD forums and not everyone will understand how the grouping mechanic works. They certainly are unlikely to know that the Mobius group is a large PvE group.

I'm hoping FD will enhance the group mechanics a little to allow (searchable) descriptions against groups and maybe even additional group admins to help Mobius out in accepting new members. Fingers crossed...
Original '84 --- ELITE --- on BBC Micro
Feel free to add me as a PvE group friend - fly safe in the void Commanders

Combiseries

Postby Combiseries » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:45 pm

Why the heck are they doing that? The servers are still not coping with just us premium beta backers. Have they released another update because 1.01 still has connection issues.

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:30 pm

It was something that has been promised for a long time and I don't think DB dared go back on it. He also mentioned it in the Q&A last week when someone asked.

I fully understand what you mean though...piling more people onto the wobbly servers isn't going to be fun. Then again...they need to test them under as much load as possible before the 16th or the shit really will hit the fan.

CMDR_COENEN
Competent
Competent
CMDR: COENEN

Postby CMDR_COENEN » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:34 pm

It's a good time to test the load on the servers and networks. From a developer perspective, I would like to get max load on the servers before release. Will the server fail? Probably, but a dev can learn a lot from it. Server failures can cost us money (the trouble after 1.01 cost me about 9000cr in fines and lost profit) but this is the risk of playing around on a BETA, and I still see GAMMA as a BETA.

Riva
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Riva Silvercrown

Postby Riva » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:51 pm

What Coenen said... I mean, even if the game is almost ready, it is still the pre-launch version.

This means that we have to accept problems and, to be honest, I prefer issues like load tests or other behaviour to be detected on the pre-production stage (where we are even if it looks as production) than in full production when people have the right to complain about the product not being finished (now we are just testers that paid for that right, not the other way around).

Combiseries

Postby Combiseries » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:39 pm

You gotta point.

Return to “General Discussion”