Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Patch 2.1.03 incoming

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:40 am

- Reduced the number of engineer mods on AI ships substantially, now only Deadly & Elite rank ships are guaranteed to have mods and any below Master are guaranteed to have none

Is that a type or a misstatement? How does guaranteeing that all Deadly and Elite ships will have mods substantially reduce the number of mods? Is it just having Master and below w/o mods making it so that there are fewer total mods? Or are they saying that Deadly and Elite ships that had 5-10 mods will now only have 1-2 mods?

I think I've only run across one ship with mods, a Deadly Dropship, in the last several days. Now every single Deadly and Elite ship will have mods? I suppose mods don't have to be stronger weapons, so maybe there have been more but I just didn't realize it.

:?
It's time to give this another go.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:45 am

Guess us multi elite rated players are just boned still huh...

You would think in this game that deadly and elite was a bit rare, now there's one waiting for me everywhere I go...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Hossyman
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Joe Techno

Postby Hossyman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:18 pm

I have a minor issue after this update. I have the docking computer installed, and while i do not use it all the time it is nice to have. I noticed this morning that when it takes you to the pad for touchdown, it lines you up to slightly the right and above the pad, and just hovers there. You have to override the docking computer with the throttle, or disable it in modules to set the ship down. After seeing this, I rebooted the system, re calibrated the controllers, sold and re bought the docking computer, and it still lines you up right and high, and just hovers. Is there a fix for this, while not a major issue, it is irritating.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Hossyman wrote:I have a minor issue after this update. I have the docking computer installed, and while i do not use it all the time it is nice to have. I noticed this morning that when it takes you to the pad for touchdown, it lines you up to slightly the right and above the pad, and just hovers there. You have to override the docking computer with the throttle, or disable it in modules to set the ship down. After seeing this, I rebooted the system, re calibrated the controllers, sold and re bought the docking computer, and it still lines you up right and high, and just hovers. Is there a fix for this, while not a major issue, it is irritating.

You aren't the only one to mention it. And no, I don't think there is going to be a fast fix for this, since I expect FD would need to patch it..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JustSomeGuy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:01 pm

Did not see a fix for the mission updates that give you 0 minutes to deliver the cargo for extra bonus.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Hossyman
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Joe Techno

Postby Hossyman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:53 pm

I agree, that is irritating. you get a mission update almost as you are entering the toaster rack, and end up with 0 min 0 sec to do it. unbelievable

Ghworg
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Ghworg

Postby Ghworg » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:39 pm

Confirmation that NPC spawns are based on combat rank. This is a terrible mechanic in my opinion, even if I was as good as my combat rank indicates, which I'm certainly not, my ability to fight off NPCs varies dramatically depending on what ship I'm in.

If I'm in my Vulture then I can deal (somewhat) with the high ranked NPCs, the same is certainly not true in my T9.

NPC spawns should have nothing to do with the player. They should be based on the security state of the system, the level of missions you are on, and possibly what bounty you have locally. I should be able to buy a Sidewinder, pick up low level missions and be free to earn the 5000 credits a mission as if I were a fresh player, not harassed by Deadly FDLs everywhere I turn.

Myrm

Postby Myrm » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:01 pm

TorTorden wrote:...
Reading that I guess I'm still f*cked..

TorTorden, I'm sorry but this is a forum that kids can visit. Certainly my 13-year-old nephew, who is a keen EDH'er, visits this forum frequently, and I'd rather he not see this kind language if you wouldn't mind please.

Thank you. :)

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Ghworg wrote:NPC spawns should have nothing to do with the player. They should be based on the security state of the system, the level of missions you are on, and possibly what bounty you have locally. I should be able to buy a Sidewinder, pick up low level missions and be free to earn the 5000 credits a mission as if I were a fresh player, not harassed by Deadly FDLs everywhere I turn.

I think in "real life", pirates would tend to pick on less experienced pilots and tend to stay in low security systems. They would avoid pilots that would give them a challenge and would not want a security response. Certainly, a low ranked pirate isn't going to be interdicting much higher ranked pilots.

So in "reality", lower ranked pilots should be getting interdicted more often and high ranked pilots should hardly be getting interdicted at all - unless by a wing. Lower ranked pilots should be able to avoid most interdictions by flying in high security systems. If they do get interdicted, the cops should show up quickly and dispatch the pirate.

In any case, there should be a lot fewer Elite ranked pirates. But if you are Elite ranked, don't expect to be interdicted by much lower ranked pirates.

Just my 2-cents. ;)
It's time to give this another go.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:22 pm

Ghworg wrote:... not harassed by Deadly FDLs everywhere I turn.

So reading the patch notes, you shouldn't be seeing any thing higher than Dangerous (assuming your signature is up to date)

- When determining the rank of NPC ships, use the player's combat rank, rather than their highest PF rank, although add 1 rank if their trade or exploration rank is higher than their combat rank

Master is 4th from the top, but Entrepreneur is third from the top, so you should see Master plus 1 level i.e. Dangerous.

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I think in "real life", pirates would tend to pick on less experienced pilots and tend to stay in low security systems. They would avoid pilots that would give them a challenge and would not want a security response. Certainly, a low ranked pirate isn't going to be interdicting much higher ranked pilots.

So in "reality", lower ranked pilots should be getting interdicted more often and high ranked pilots should hardly be getting interdicted at all - unless by a wing. Lower ranked pilots should be able to avoid most interdictions by flying in high security systems. If they do get interdicted, the cops should show up quickly and dispatch the pirate.

In any case, there should be a lot fewer Elite ranked pirates. But if you are Elite ranked, don't expect to be interdicted by much lower ranked pirates.

Just my 2-cents. ;)

I guess there is a balance between "real life" and game mechanics, you are right in real life pirates would pick on the weak and defenceless, but in game terms it makes little sense to avoid higher ranked players, games tend to increase in difficulty as you progress.

It would be better if there was some form of risk and reward system. For example if Anarchy systems paid significantly more for commodities but had more pirates, or if pirates only attacked high ranked pilots if their cargo was worth over a certain value (why would anyone attack and Elite Vette carrying hydrogen fuel for example, but if it was full of gold then...).
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Return to “General Discussion”