TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: David Braben answered my question about Open PVE

Postby TorTorden » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:48 pm

Falcon_D wrote:Hello,
Awesome in getting a question about open PvE answered.
Pre release beta had a full PvE experience? Hmm...
Well I guess DB considers ED as PvE more than PvP. And Open as more PvE oriented.
But I still don't get this pinball analogy people keep bringing up if the ships are made invulnerable to player fire and ramming. Would people really spend all day ramming into each other with no consequence. At least a griefer opening fire on a Mobius commander gets to see damage to the target. But just sitting there and playing bumper cars?
Also if commanders try to blockade a station enterance can't the range of the station's traffic control be increased?

Have fun, fly safe. o7

The very reason we now have a speed limit in the no fire zone, is precisely because before it came in you would have people in tanked up, heavy ships doing nothing but hanging over the mail slot and ram into any player coming in to dock.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Mouse
Master
Master
CMDR: Baigs

Postby Mouse » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:21 am

Well I guess DB considers ED as PvE more than PvP. And Open as more PvE oriented.
But I still don't get this pinball analogy people keep bringing up if the ships are made invulnerable to player fire and ramming. Would people really spend all day ramming into each other with no consequence. At least a griefer opening fire on a Mobius commander gets to see damage to the target. But just sitting there and playing bumper cars?
Also if commanders try to blockade a station enterance can't the range of the station's traffic control be increased?

Have fun, fly safe. o7

We had someone slip into Mobius who was ping ponging off people getting the station to kill them.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - HHGTTGImageImage

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:29 am

Mouse wrote:

Have fun, fly safe. o7

We had someone slip into Mobius who was ping ponging off people getting the station to kill them.

But if no damage is done to the players then the station will not open fire.
Had an incident in a CG sometime ago where me and another commander bumped against each other. Station did not open fire.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:06 pm

Personally, I would take a PVE mode if the only concern was ramming damage from other commanders.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:41 pm

CMDR Abil Midena wrote:Personally, I would take a PVE mode if the only concern was ramming damage from other commanders.

the problem is that removing PvP from the game would be like playing whack a mole, as soon as you sort one issue out another 2 pop up to take its place.
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:35 pm

TorTorden wrote:The very reason we now have a speed limit in the no fire zone, is precisely because before it came in you would have people in tanked up, heavy ships doing nothing but hanging over the mail slot and ram into any player coming in to dock.

I thought it was the opposite - they would sit near the slot in a shieldless sidey (or whatever) and ram anyone in the NFZ so they blew up themselves, resulting in the station taking deadly action against the innocent party. It only resulted in a speed limit when some American with no gonads* did it to DB himself...

* That's an insult to the individual, not Americans. If you watch the video of the event, it's obvious from his voice that he's a "castrati".

CMDR Abil Midena wrote:Personally, I would take a PVE mode if the only concern was ramming damage from other commanders.

I would take PvP if it weren't for the Massive disparity between ships, and the fact that the game is (or at least was) very easy to hack. I play TF2 and CS:GO which are quintessentiially PvP. Even GTA Online, which can be mission based and is open world, has a mechanism for dealing with players who just want to spoil the fun of newcomers or innocents. And that's a game with its very roots in crime and murder.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:53 am

I made it about as far as your question, and said hey I know that guy, and then had to stop listening.
I couldn't take 7 more hours of that. :roll:

It seems to me that open PVE should be easy. The game already knows if you shoot or run into a CMDR. Just register no damage or fines for the victim, but do register fines and damage on the aggressor. Don't count if someone flies into your mining laser (while mining). You still need to be careful of ships flying into your lasers and multi cannons and etc. You can easily avoid weapon problems by just not being around unknown commanders. And there must be an algorithm to determine who is really doing the ramming, not just by what speed you are going - if someone T-bones me in an intersection, even if I'm speeding, if I had the right of way, then it's his fault. If you're on the wrong side of the slot, it's your fault, and etc.
It's time to give this another go.

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:18 am

AndyB wrote:

the problem is that removing PvP from the game would be like playing whack a mole, as soon as you sort one issue out another 2 pop up to take its place.

I disagree. Try it, lets see what happens.

Either way, it won't happen though. Too many cry babies would go full Kermit if it did.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Mouse
Master
Master
CMDR: Baigs

Postby Mouse » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:13 am

full Kermit??
In the beginning the Universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - HHGTTGImageImage

K M Butler
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: K M Butler

Postby K M Butler » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:51 am

As the K in my handle is derived from my given name, I'm not sure how I should take this concept of "go full Kermit" :-)
fun fact 1: I'm 2 years older than Jim Henson's infamous creation.
fun fact 2: the frog's voice is Jim's normal speaking voice.
BTW, Hi everyone.
back to lurking now.

Return to “General Discussion”